• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Kai Keeper
      I finished this game a while ago, now I'm trying to make an introduction video before I put it on Steam, looking for feedback.
      I have already got some feedback from other people, and this is what they felt or some of the things I think the video doesn't do a good job: 1. I don't understand the core concept of the game. I think another video that explains the core concept of this game would be better.
      2. I feel that the video was too long, it showed way too many features.
      If you feel the same way, please let me know. If you have any other suggestions/feedback please don't hold back.
    • By fgp069
      Hi there, this is my first time posting, but have been a long-time lurker in this community. I am currently developing a 3D game engine using a deferred renderer and OpenGL.
      I have successfully implemented recursive portals (and mirrors) in my engine utilizing the stencil buffer to mask out regions of the screen. This solution is very favorable as I am able to have dozens of separate views drawn at once without needing to worry about requiring multiple G-buffers for each individual (sub)view. I also benefit with being able to perform post processing effects over all views, only needing to apply them over what is visible (one pass per-section with stencil masking for no risk of overdraw).
      Now presently I am pondering ways of dealing with in-game camera displays (for an example think of the monitors from Half-Life 2). In the past I've handled these by rendering from the camera's perspective onto separate render target, and then in the final shading pass applying it as a texture. However I was greatly disappointed with the performance and the inability to combine with post-processing effects (or at least the way I do presently with portals). Another concern being that I wish to have scenes containing several unique camera screens at once (such as a security CCTV room), without needing to worry about the associated vram usage of having several G-Buffers.
      I wanted to ask more experienced members of this community if it would be possible to handle them in a similar fashion as I do with portals, but with the difference being for them to be transformed so they take on the appearance of a flat 2D surface. Would anybody with a more comprehensive understanding of matrix maths be able to tell me if this idea is feasible or not, and if so could come up with a possible solution?
      I hope all this makes enough sense. Any possible insight would be greatly appreciated!
    • By GytisDev
      me and few friends are developing simple city building game with unity for a school project, think something like Banished but much simpler. I was tasked to create the path-finding for the game so I mostly followed this tutorial series up to episode 5. Then we created simple working system for cutting trees. The problem is that the path-finding is working like 90% of the time, then it get stuck randomly then there's clearly a way to the objective (tree). I tried looking for some pattern when it happens but can't find anything. So basically I need any tips for how I should approach this problem.
      Use this image to visualize the problem.
    • By FFA702
      I've been working on a small 3D game maker app for a while, but it's now shaping up to be a full fledged (albeit simple) all integrated 3d engine. I think it's promising in the sense that I've built the App I would want to use, and I can see people (mainly beginners) using it for a lot of applications. It has no name yet. I don't plan on making it open source or selling it. I'm just considering setting up a small website with some documentation and a download link. 
      What kind of license would I join with the tool given that:
      I want people to be able to use it freely
      I want to be completely free of responsibility
      I want to prevent people from removing, let's say (hypothetically, not sure how I'd go about this yet), a small banner advertising my software at startup from the application the software would produce
      The tool was developed in visual studio community 2017, using C# and a single external library, openTK
      Is there anything else I should think about ? Perhaps when naming it ?
      EDIT: Also, what about, let's say, a logo, or a design pattern (Artistically speaking) I would use throughout the program and the documentation to make it easily recognizable. How would I go about protecting that ?
      Thanks guys
    • By Orella
      I'm having problems rotating GameObjects in my engine. I'm trying to rotate in 2 ways.
      I'm using MathGeoLib to calculate maths in the engine.
      First way: Rotates correctly around axis but if I want to rotate back, if I don't do it following the inverse order then rotation doesn't work properly. 
      Rotate X axis 50 degrees, Rotate Y axis 30 degrees -> Rotate Y axis -50 degrees, Rotate X axis -30 degrees. Works.
      Rotate X axis 50 degrees, Rotate Y axis 30 degrees -> Rotate X axis -50 degrees, Rotate Y axis -30 degrees. Doesn't.

void ComponentTransform::SetRotation(float3 euler_rotation) { float3 diff = euler_rotation - editor_rotation; editor_rotation = euler_rotation; math::Quat mod = math::Quat::FromEulerXYZ(diff.x * DEGTORAD, diff.y * DEGTORAD, diff.z * DEGTORAD); quat_rotation = quat_rotation * mod; UpdateMatrix();  } Second way: Starts rotating good around axis but after rotating some times, then it stops to rotate correctly around axis, but if I rotate it back regardless of the rotation order it works, not like the first way.

void ComponentTransform::SetRotation(float3 euler_rotation) { editor_rotation = euler_rotation; quat_rotation = math::Quat::FromEulerXYZ(euler_rotation.x * DEGTORAD, euler_rotation.y * DEGTORAD, euler_rotation.z * DEGTORAD); UpdateMatrix();  }
      Rest of code:   
      #define DEGTORAD 0.0174532925199432957f void ComponentTransform::UpdateMatrix() { if (!this->GetGameObject()->IsParent()) { //Get parent transform component ComponentTransform* parent_transform = (ComponentTransform*)this->GetGameObject()->GetParent()->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); //Create matrix from position, rotation(quaternion) and scale transform_matrix = math::float4x4::FromTRS(position, quat_rotation, scale); //Multiply the object transform by parent transform transform_matrix = parent_transform->transform_matrix * transform_matrix; //If object have childs, call this function in childs objects for (std::list<GameObject*>::iterator it = this->GetGameObject()->childs.begin(); it != this->GetGameObject()->childs.end(); it++) { ComponentTransform* child_transform = (ComponentTransform*)(*it)->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); child_transform->UpdateMatrix(); } } else { //Create matrix from position, rotation(quaternion) and scale transform_matrix = math::float4x4::FromTRS(position, quat_rotation, scale); //If object have childs, call this function in childs objects for (std::list<GameObject*>::iterator it = this->GetGameObject()->childs.begin(); it != this->GetGameObject()->childs.end(); it++) { ComponentTransform* child_transform = (ComponentTransform*)(*it)->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); child_transform->UpdateMatrix(); } } } MathGeoLib: Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::FromEulerXYZ(float x, float y, float z) { return (Quat::RotateX(x) * Quat::RotateY(y) * Quat::RotateZ(z)).Normalized(); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateX(float angle) { return Quat(float3(1,0,0), angle); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateY(float angle) { return Quat(float3(0,1,0), angle); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateZ(float angle) { return Quat(float3(0,0,1), angle); } Quat(const float3 &rotationAxis, float rotationAngleRadians) { SetFromAxisAngle(rotationAxis, rotationAngleRadians); } void Quat::SetFromAxisAngle(const float3 &axis, float angle) { assume1(axis.IsNormalized(), axis); assume1(MATH_NS::IsFinite(angle), angle); float sinz, cosz; SinCos(angle*0.5f, sinz, cosz); x = axis.x * sinz; y = axis.y * sinz; z = axis.z * sinz; w = cosz; } Any help?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

3D Yaw and Pitch against the skyplane

I need to obtain the correct yaw and pitch against the skyplane which is located at the camera position plus the far distance times the look direction, I can handle the yaw, I got the skyplane yaw'ed between 0 and 1.57 radians, which is good only when the camera is looking in a direction without elevations. If I do elevations,  let's pretend the original pitch of the skyplane is 1.57 because I have the plane sitting flat, if I raise the camera up to right above to the sky, the camera is pitching from 0 to 4.7, and the skyplane is 1.57->3.14...

There is no problem when I don't yaw the camera, I don't need to yaw the camera when I look right up to the sky above me. So the the yaw is 0 and the pitch is 3.14 when looking up. When looking forward, the skyplane's yaw is 0->1.57

Camera: (Pitch) 0(flat)->4.7(vertically upwards)

(Yaw): N/A

Skyplane: (Pitch) 1.57(Facing camera)-3.14(facing down to camera)

(Yaw): 0-1.57-> 0

Now the problem is when I pitch the camera to 4.7, I don't really want to yaw the skyplane, but as you know, I have to tell the camera the up vector, it will orientate the camera somehow which then gives me a yaw, so when I look up vertically, the sky is skewed.

Another option to calculate the matrix for the skyplane is this:

const D3DXMATRIX* v = m_pCam->GetViewMatrix();
const D3DXMATRIX* p = m_pCam->GetProjMatrix();
D3DXMATRIX vp = *v * *p;
D3DXVECTOR3 camPos = m_pCam->GetPos();
D3DXVECTOR4 camPosVec4(camPos.x, camPos.y, camPos.z, 1);
    // camPosVec4 * vp;
D3DXVECTOR4 targetVec4;
D3DXVec4Transform(&targetVec4, &camPosVec4, &vp);
D3DXVECTOR3 targetPos(targetVec4.x, targetVec4.y, targetVec4.z);
Edited by lucky6969b

I like the other option more.

Is that code C++? That looks ugly. Don't they have namespaces there like
using D3DLinAlg; ?
How do the dare overload the  operator * where it does not commute?
Did they hear of CamelCase?
What is this Transform? Do they mean: Multiplication? Why do they order the args in such a strange way?

Maybe switch to unity and see the beauty buried below that C++? dunno..