• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

basically I want to learn more about Creating music for video games. I am not asking for payment but a chance to make some custom music for your project.
      I don't mind working on something short like a trailer or even up to a 1hour of gameplay. Rather than just making music without any project in mind I want to work on something custom.
      My instagram is @nickMakmusic
      I am open to any genres and want to find my style and such.
      I put my Soundcloud and Pond5 Links Below
    • By Hashbrown
      My light is positioned at vec3(0, 0, 2) which is in front of an object at vec3(0, 0, 0). If I don't rotate the object, everything seems to look fine:

The problem occurs when I rotate the object, the object's lit area seems to rotate with the object. Instead of just shining the faces looking at the light.

In fact here's another strange example but with specular added. The effect is correct in the first the rotation, the second it's dark, and in the third it's back to good again

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is with my shader. I even tried calculating the normal matrix in glsl, just in case my implementation was wrong, but I get the same results:
      nrms = mat3(transpose(inverse(model))) * normals; // and nrms = normalMat * normals; // both get same results. I really don't think it has to do with the normals, the light calculations visually seem okay, as long as I don't rotate the object though.
      In fact, I can translate and rotate the camera and the lighting is still good, again, as long as I don't rotate the object. By the way, camera rotation is not considered in the calculations since I'm passing the camera.transform.position vec3 to calculate the toCam vector I use in my lighting calculations.
      There's clearly something I'm doing wrong. I'm guessing it has to do with what space am I calculating against. It's almost like I'm calculating based on the model's local space instead of world.
      Hopefully somebody can identify what it is though, I'll share the vertex and frag shaders below. I didn't include the specular portion though. thanks a lot!
      #version 300 es #ifdef GL_ES precision mediump float; #endif layout (location= 0) in vec3 vertex; layout (location= 1) in vec3 normals; layout (location= 2) in vec2 uv; layout (location= 3) in vec3 colors; out vec3 fragPos; out vec3 baseColors; out vec3 nrms; out vec3 camPosition; uniform vec3 camera; uniform mat3 normalMat; uniform mat4 model; uniform mat4 projection; uniform mat4 view; uniform mat4 mvp; void main() { // nrms = mat3(transpose(inverse(model))) * normals; baseColors = colors; nrms = normalMat * normals; fragPos = vec3(model * vec4(vertex, 1.0)); camPosition = camera; gl_Position = mvp * vec4(fragPos, 1.0); }  
      #version 300 es #ifdef GL_ES precision mediump float; #endif #define PI 3.14159265359 #define TWO_PI 6.28318530718 #define NUM_LIGHTS 2 in vec3 fragPos; in vec3 baseColors; in vec3 nrms; in vec3 camPosition; out vec4 color; struct Light { vec3 position; vec3 intensities; float attenuation; float ambient; }; Light light; void main () { light.position.x = 0.0; light.position.y = 0.0; light.position.z = 2.0; light.intensities.r = 1.0; light.intensities.g = 1.0; light.intensities.b = 1.0; light.ambient = 0.005; vec4 base = vec4(baseColors, 1.0); vec3 normals = normalize(nrms); vec3 toLight = normalize(light.position - fragPos); vec3 toCamera = normalize(camPosition - fragPos); // Ambient vec3 ambient = light.ambient * base.rgb * light.intensities; // Diffuse float diffuseBrightness = max(0.0, dot(normals, toLight)); vec3 diffuse = diffuseBrightness * base.rgb * light.intensities; // Composition vec3 linearColor = ambient + (diffuse); vec3 gamma = vec3(1.0 / 2.2); color = vec4( pow(linearColor, gamma), base.a); }  
    • By Pixelated_Nate
      Hello all!
      I'm currently designing a 2D, Puzzle/Action RPG, in a similar vein to Legend of Zelda: Link to The Past, in Unity and require a Programmer partner in which to work with me.
      The project, yet to be titled, will feature:
      A semi-open world, represented through pixel art, in which the player traverses to enter dungeons and advance the story. A handful of side-quests that require memorizing details and using puzzle-mechanics. A fast-paced, melee combat system that will include dodging, blocking and utilizing four different attack types that can be switched on the fly. A simple inventory of "Key Items" to be used in order to advance the story. Day & Night system and Weather Effects, with weather effecting combat.  A very simple Dialogue System to convey information via colored text. Saving/Loading via exporting and importing a physical save file. Majority of the project is already planned out, with plans to release commercially and splitting the profits equally among the two of us. 
      I would request that the applicant is able to work semi-independently, following an outline, and that they have experience in both C# programming  *and* putting those scripts to use inside Unity, whilst I will be creating the Art, Music/SFX and doing Level Design (Though if you are also comfortable in assisting me with these, I wouldn't be opposed.).
      Work will be shared in either Github or Unity Collab (Applicants preference), with communication done via Discord. 
      For more information and to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com
      Thanks for reading! 
    • By AndyCo
      I`m looking for some project to boost up my portfolio, I`m not a pro but I`m not bad at all.
      Feel free to contact me.
    • By MoreLion
      Project Name:The Legends Gate:Battle Of Sorrugar
      Studio: Inbound Entertainment.
      Engine: Unreal Engine 4
      Platforms: PC And Mac(Steam) & Xbox One/PS4 (Very Very Far Future)
      Team Size:3
      Compensation: Royalty/Payback After Funding
      Roles Required:Environment Artist/3D Animator/Level Designer And Unreal Engine Programmer And Any Others!
      Project Length: Hoping For Release In 2020/2022
      [3D ANIMATOR/ENVIRONMENT ARTIST] - Realistic Assets/Textures - GUI Creation - Environment Asset Creation - Create Animations
      [PROGRAMMER REQUIREMENTS] - Fluent Programming - Work With Other Programmers And 3D Artists - Must Be Able To Create Combat Systems And NPC AI Systems
      About Me: I’m A Game Designer With A Bit Of Experience, I’ve Been Working On This Project Game Design Wise For Nearly 4 years.
      The Project Has Changed So Much, especially Story And GamePlay Wise.
      Project Description: Hello! Me And A Concept Artist Are Looking To Start Up This Team, You Can See What We Are Looking For Above, The Game Is A First Person RPG And Is Also Open World, This Is An Ambitious Project That I’ve Been Working On For 4 Years Game Design Wise And Story Wise. I Will Tell You More About The Story When You Apply Below. Also We Welcome Any Other Skills You Want To Offer As The Game Is Currently In Pre Production And Building A Team Is Very Important.
      Apply:DM Me On Discord riobio55#1958 or email me at liondude12@gmail.com
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

[HELP] explosions in Videos Games

Hello again guys, I wanted to ask, what is the best way to create a realistic explosion for video games? What are the step to follow and the software to use? I know it's a pretty big question but at this point I cannot find any good tutorial except for creating one using asset packs and I don't want that. I want to create it by myself from scratch. Currently I am using After Effects (which I am still a novice with), then assembling particles in Unity and I don't like the output that I am receiving.

I created explosions mostly for 2D games, but I might have a few suggestions for you.

Use some sort of fire sprites for the actual explosion. Define an area where your fire sprites shall be emitted. When creating the explosion, burst a few particles with the fire sprite inside the area. Depending of the game, the area should be 2D or 3D.

Use a mix of smoke particles with fire particles which are pretty much flying straight away from the explosion.

Play with the lighting. Explosions are pretty bright, so you could set a light source where the explosion is.

Use as much particles as possible (even for the fire). 

Last but not least: Use references. Check out a few games with great explosions, learn how they are built up, try to copy them. Even try copying more than one explosion.

Hope it will help you with your work. :)