Abusing -1 rep

Started by
30 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 8 months ago
4 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

If someone has ideas for scoring systems I would like to read about it, I think this topic is a great way for us to think of new scoring systems that even if they don't work in the forum can work in our games.

I'm guessing you're familiar with the stackexchange model?  If not, it's well worth looking at.  You can argue with some of the ways that it gamifies things and favors quickly-posted answers that look good enough to get accepted vs. longer more thorough ones (though I'm not convinced that there's any way around that).  But otherwise I think it works pretty well.  New users can't be nasty right away; and downvotes are both weaker than upvotes and cost reputation to cast.

You can earn a max of 200 reputation per day, and reputation can never go below 1. You gain reputation from having your question upvoted (+5), your answer upvoted (+10), your answer accepted (+15) etc.  You lose reputation from having a question or answer downvoted (but only -2).  Upvoting is free, but downvoting an answer costs 1 rep (downvoting a question is free because they want to encourage people to prune bad questions).  You get to cast a max of 30 votes per day (I believe most people never come close to hitting that limit).

You start off with no voting privileges at all.  You can post questions and answers, that's it.  You get the ability to upvote at 15 rep, the ability to comment on people's questions and answers at 50, and don't get the ability to downvote until 125.

More here:

https://stackoverflow.com/help/whats-reputation

https://stackoverflow.com/help/privileges/vote-down

Advertisement
6 hours ago, jpetrie said:

I don't think that's fair to say. The particular behavior that occurred in this scenario involved a user systematically and maliciously seeking out every post by another user and downvoting it regardless of context. This is not only (a) not new behavior (it happened on the old version of the site) but also (b) not very common. It's very much an outlying data point and I don't think it says anything concretely one way or another about how real people vote for real.

I have to say it was my fault for not making it clear in my post that my observations that "people vote people on prejudice", was not specifically referring to the original issue of the OP. It was general observations I made recently which was why I referenced that lounge post as an example. I just didn't want to start a new thread on it since this thread topic was similar enough. But yeah I wasn't referring to that particular issue

6 hours ago, jpetrie said:

What data do you have to verify this? Nothing about the ability to mechanically vote on posts changed except for the layout (the button is in a different, arguably less-visible spot) and the effect (it doesn't contribute to the same point system as other activity does).

Apart from my general observations, yeah I don't have the kind of analytical data you're probably talking about. I suppose it would be over-the-top action for me to  start linking all the posts that I felt were such examples, yeah that would be stupid. Which is why I merely gave the comparative impression of "liking the post" of the new system as opposed to the "value of the post" of the old system and how this probably affected voting. But you're probably correct that "pixels" makes up for forum activities and minimal rep point. (though despite all I've read about I still don't fully get it)

4 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I haven't seen it, thanks for the link. I knew it had to be done, all the old members have huge scores compared to new ones.

The reason many people feel new members should be able to catch up with older still-active members is another thing that mystifies me. I have been here for just over 2 years. So If a member has a 6 to 12 years head start on me and lets say I am a prolific helper as a user (which I'm not) but lets say this is the case and these older  members are too, why should their 6 to 12 years head start on me not count? I feel it has to count as they have held up the forum for those many years and there is no logical reasons for newer members to try to catch up (OR its just me not being that competitive)

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

5 minutes ago, grumpyOldDude said:

The reason many people feel new members should be able to catch up with older still-active members is another thing that mystifies me.

Except that's not what it's about.

It's about normalizing reputation into a value that represents peer-voted reputation. Time has nothing to do with it.

In the old system reputation was a mix of peer votes and your own activity. In the new system pixels represent your activity/contributions to the site in terms of tangible actions. Reputation is strictly voting. We just need to get the old values adjusted to the new values, which is what the blog post talks about. 

Admin for GameDev.net.

6 minutes ago, khawk said:

Except that's not what it's about.

It's about normalizing reputation into a value that represents peer-voted reputation. Time has nothing to do with it.

In the old system reputation was a mix of peer votes and your own activity. In the new system pixels represent your activity/contributions to the site in terms of tangible actions. Reputation is strictly voting. We just need to get the old values adjusted to the new values, which is what the blog post talks about. 

Thanks for clarifying

Yeah separating reputation from forum activities make good sense.  

Still actual reputation could increment/decrement by more than one point per up/down vote though.  I doubt if this is just me being too used to the old system as I wasn't up voted too many times anyway. It just seems to be more valued if its more than one point per vote

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

1 minute ago, grumpyOldDude said:

Still actual reputation could increment/decrement by more than one point per up/down vote though.  I doubt if this is just me being too used to the old system as I wasn't up voted too many times anyway. It just seems to be more valued if its more than one point per vote

It could be setup that way, but it really has always been one point at time - for actual reputation/peer-vote. Everyone just accumulated rep faster because of activity, so it felt like you were earning more.

I've been noticing pixels are accumulating faster than planned because of the earning from activity, so there's been some adjustments recently. :)

Admin for GameDev.net.

11 hours ago, grumpyOldDude said:

Apart from my general observations, yeah I don't have the kind of analytical data you're probably talking about. I suppose it would be over-the-top action for me to  start linking all the posts that I felt were such examples, yeah that would be stupid.

I don't think it would be stupid, although it would certainly be a lot of work that nobody would fault you for not wanting to bother with. Most arguments pro or contra various reputation systems tend to be based only on the gut feeling of the one person making the argument. Presenting concrete data with that argument makes a stronger case the people who are listening.

Sorry to disagree with this particular post, but it would be a bit stupid to further upset pitchfork waving posters! Concrete evidence: it certainly stopped me from posting here since <strike>mentioning</strike> complaining re the issues of malicious voters. Anyway, I don't intend to post again as long as the 'rep' system exists, and I've been around as long as anyone.

35 minutes ago, jezham said:

Sorry to disagree with this particular post

Which post? Your quote doesn't link anywhere and doesn't contain any information (poster or content).

Hello to all my stalkers.

I think Jezham is mostly angry that he doesn't have the points that he previously earned. The reputation system was apparently okay when he was gaining points before, but isn't okay now that he isn't.

2 hours ago, Kylotan said:

I think Jezham is mostly angry that he doesn't have the points that he previously earned. The reputation system was apparently okay when he was gaining points before, but isn't okay now that he isn't.

That's certainly possible, I was just trying to get the necessary context for the post to make sense in this thread =)

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement