Abusing -1 rep

Started by
30 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 8 months ago

I had this happening here to me today, I've tried to help a new user of the forum with his problem, probably because of the language barrier or because his knowledge was below of what I had estimated (by watching his code, which was far more advanced then the problem he had), rather than asking me to explain it in an even easier way or with some example, he went (I suspect) and gave me -8 reputation in random and totally unralated topics I posted all around the forum, and I suspect was that guy because this happened 1 minute after my reply to him, and that reply got a -1 as well, so you can see the action/reaction connection here.

Basically during this day my rep went from 18 to 10, at which point a moderator moderated the topic and it got back to 19 (+1 from a user, and my previous rep was either restored by the moderator or the user removed the -1 when I warned him I was reporting his toxic behaviour) and now is 12.

Now try and put yourselves in the shoes of someone that try to help and sees his rep drop of almost 50%, how depressing that could be. Now I am actually seriously considering to just never reply ever again to any new users I don't know just out of fear of this happening to me again.

At the current state, someone who don't like you could just go in your profile, open all the topics you posted in recently, spam -1 to your message and sink 100+ or your rep...if you ask me, this is a bug, at least if the goal is to keep a positive environment :P

So I'm proposing a simple fix here, in order to give -1 rep one has to spend 1 of his rep. This would prevent -1 spam and new users cannot simply go and sink 100+ rep from someone simply because they can :) 

Edit: Also just to verify my point while balancing things out, I went and gave that user the same rep treatmant he showed me, so now he has a -6rep (which his the ammount he randomly decided to remove from me at present time), which is not cool. Hope you can see how this is a problem and this kind of -rep war are just toxic and should be somehow prevented from happening.

Advertisement

It also seems like 2 other accounts have been enlisted in this rep war.

Hello to all my stalkers.

6 minutes ago, Lactose said:

It also seems like 2 other accounts have been enlisted in this rep war.

some minutes ago my rep was -8, I would truly like to know if was the doing of the same person or some other people who just  like to see things burn...regardless, it adds to the point I am making. This system as currently is, has an high toxicity potential, which in my humble opinion, is not very good... :/

Is the same reason because in Dota 2 you can only give thumbs up and not thumbs down, I guess there are too many toxic people around, who just enjoy to see/make the others fail :/

We’ve taken care of the problem users, and we will reverse the vote manipulation.  :^)

Just now, fastcall22 said:

We’ve taken care of the problem users, and we will reverse the vote manipulation.  :^)

You guys are the best :D

5 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

So I'm proposing a simple fix here, in order to give -1 rep one has to spend 1 of his rep. This would prevent -1 spam and new users cannot simply go and sink 100+ rep from someone simply because they can :) 

We actually had this, it only prevented long term users from spamming down votes. The short term users did not care about there rep and other people opened new accounts.

Maybe a flag system can be used, where if a person suddenly gives a lot of up votes or down votes in a short time it alerts the moderators to this person.

The thing is people like this don't normally mean to offend, often they are from forums where this kind of thing is normal or they are just new and don't have a reason to value the site yet.

Also don't panic about the points yet, it's a new system and old members like myself have a unfair score based on our old one. For now it's just a murky reflection of what people on this forum think of you.

The pixels is more related to an actual score.

Ah, by the way, what are this pixels and how you get more?! I haven't figured out yet :D  

I have more pixels than you guys, is it good or bad? :D

As an aside, I think your rep is increasing rapidly. At the very least, me and another person are upvoting you on this thread.

Sometimes Life's a beach (sic), you just need to soak up the sun.

2 minutes ago, Eulagrief said:

As an aside, I think your rep is increasing rapidly. At the very least, me and another person are upvoting you on this thread.

Sometimes Life's a beach (sic), you just need to soak up the sun.

Faith restored xD

3 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

Faith restored xD

Aaaaaaaaand, I've just discovered the original thread, about assigning locals to globals. If you'd have replied like that to one of my questions, you'd have been knee deep in excess +++plusplusplus+++plusses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement