• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By dgi
      Hey all ,
      For a few days I'm trying to solve some problems with my engine's memory management.Basically what is have is a custom heap with pre allocated memory.Every block has a header and so on.I decided to leave it like that(not cache friendly) because my model is that every block will be large and I will have a pool allocators and stack allocators dealing with those blocks internally. So far so good I figure out how to place my per scene resources . There is one thing that I really don't know how to do and thats dealing with containers.What kind of allocation strategy to use here.
      If I use vector for my scene objects(entities , cameras , particle emitters .. ) I will fragment my custom heap if I do it in a standard way , adding and removing objects will cause a lot of reallocations . If I use a linked list this will not fragment the memory but it's not cache friendly.I guess if a reserve large amount of memory for those vectors it will work but then I will waste a lot memory.I was thinking for some sort of mix between a vector and a linked list , where you have block of memory that can contain lets say 40 items and if you go over that number a new one will be created and re location of the data would not be needed.There would be some cache misses but it will reduce the fragmentation.
      How you guys deal with that ? Do you just reserve a lot data ?
    • By Hermetix
      I am trying to setup the custom wizard for making a 3ds MAX 2018 plug-in (to export a character animation data), but I can't locate the wizard file folder to put the .vsz file in. In the 3ds MAX 2018 docs, it only mentions where the folder is in VS 2015 (VC/vcprojects). It's a VC++ project, but I don't see any folder in VC for the wizard files. I'm using VS 2017 update 15.5.6 Enterprise, and the folders in VC are: Auxiliary, Redist and Tools.
    • By elect
      ok, so, we are having problems with our current mirror reflection implementation.
      At the moment we are doing it very simple, so for the i-th frame, we calculate the reflection vectors given the viewPoint and some predefined points on the mirror surface (position and normal).
      Then, using the least squared algorithm, we find the point that has the minimum distance from all these reflections vectors. This is going to be our virtual viewPoint (with the right orientation).
      After that, we render offscreen to a texture by setting the OpenGL camera on the virtual viewPoint.
      And finally we use the rendered texture on the mirror surface.
      So far this has always been fine, but now we are having some more strong constraints on accuracy.
      What are our best options given that:
      - we have a dynamic scene, the mirror and parts of the scene can change continuously from frame to frame
      - we have about 3k points (with normals) per mirror, calculated offline using some cad program (such as Catia)
      - all the mirror are always perfectly spherical (with different radius vertically and horizontally) and they are always convex
      - a scene can have up to 10 mirror
      - it should be fast enough also for vr (Htc Vive) on fastest gpus (only desktops)

Looking around, some papers talk about calculating some caustic surface derivation offline, but I don't know if this suits my case
      Also, another paper, used some acceleration structures to detect the intersection between the reflection vectors and the scene, and then adjust the corresponding texture coordinate. This looks the most accurate but also very heavy from a computational point of view.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything updated/exhaustive around, can you help me?
      Thanks in advance
    • By KarimIO
      Hey guys! Three questions about uniform buffers:
      1) Is there a benefit to Vulkan and DirectX's Shader State for the Constant/Uniform Buffer? In these APIs, and NOT in OpenGL, you must set which shader is going to take each buffer. Why is this? For allowing more slots?
      2) I'm building an wrapper over these graphics APIs, and was wondering how to handle passing parameters. In addition, I used my own json format to describe material formats and shader formats. In this, I can describe which shaders get what uniform buffers. I was thinking of moving to support ShaderLab (Unity's shader format) instead, as this would allow people to jump over easily enough and ease up the learning curve. But ShaderLab does not support multiple Uniform Buffers at all, as I can tell, let alone what parameters go where. 
      So to fix this, I was just going to send all Uniform Buffers to all shaders. Is this that big of a problem?
      3) Do you have any references on how to organize material uniform buffers? I may be optimizing too early, but I've seen people say what a toll this can take.
    • By ANIO chan
      Hi, I'm new here and would like to get some help in what i should do first when designing a game? What would you consider to be the best steps to begin designing my game? Give resources with it as well please.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

A on Steroids - classic remake with realistic destruction model

A on Steroids

"Fly your A (spacecraft), avoid lasers, collect steroids, shot aliens and asteroids to achieve the highest score."

Link: https://dragmz.itch.io/a-on-steroids

Screenshots: Gameplay

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2yfcEAJiW1Lx_YCHBR_1ZA

Please have a look at my "in development" arcade game with realistic destruction model. There is a demo available at the link above (itch.io). The destruction model is a unique feature of A on Steroids amongst other games inspired by Asteroids; in-game objects may be damaged with weapons and break into smaller pieces.

It's under active development so if you like it then please expect frequent updates on itch.io. Please leave a comment either way.

Minimum Requirements are:

• Graphics: OpenGL 3.0 compatible graphics card
  • Memory: 1GB RAM free

Thanks for your time!