• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Zooch
      Hi GameDev!
      I own a small company called Magical Game Studio and I'm excited to present an opportunity to the community that we're passionate about.  The game we're working on is a throw-back to one of our favorites, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and we're looking to create a similar 2D, top-down adventure game with more of a painterly art style and faster-paced gameplay. We are developing for Nintendo Switch and PC platforms (we're Nintendo dev partners with Switch access).
      We've just finished pitching our game to eight publishers during GDC and all eight have requested follow-up meetings when we reach First Playable (around June), which is rare in my experience (usually we're lucky to get 2-3 callbacks).  We have signed contracts with three publishers across four previous games, ranging in funding from $400K to $5M.  As a team, we have shipped eight game titles in the past, and we've shipped both AAA and indie projects alike.  Several of us are currently employed full time in director or senior-level roles at other game companies.
      Our studio is comprised of ten members, and we're looking for a senior-level engineer and a senior-level technical artist who has experience with 2D animation in Unity. This is our passion project that we're looking to launch so that we can break into our own studio.
      Both positions are remote, and the positions are royalty-based until we secure publisher funding, in which we will pay salary/benefits + royalty.
      Here's a WIP screenshot of the game:

If you're interested in one of the two positions listed above, contact me and I will send you our pitch deck and game demo after further discussion.  When you contact me, please also provide the position you're interested in and some sort of portfolio to showcase your previous experience (github, portfolio, collection of links to games, etc.).  Please also indicate what you accomplished if your examples are team projects and what types of game code you're most experienced with (UI, gameplay, AI, combat, dialogue, netcode, tools, etc.).  Lastly, we're looking for people who can contribute ~20 hours per week.  Any less than that for engineers and we find that we don't have enough time to iterate effectively (and our gameplay suffers).
      Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon!
    • By Pixelated_Nate
      Hello all!
      I'm currently designing a 2D, Puzzle/Action RPG, in a similar vein to Legend of Zelda: Link to The Past, in Unity and require a Programmer partner in which to work with me.
      The project, yet to be titled, will feature:
      A semi-open world, represented through pixel art, in which the player traverses to enter dungeons and advance the story. A handful of side-quests that require memorizing details and using puzzle-mechanics. A fast-paced, melee combat system that will include dodging, blocking and utilizing four different attack types that can be switched on the fly. A simple inventory of "Key Items" to be used in order to advance the story. Day & Night system and Weather Effects, with weather effecting combat.  A very simple Dialogue System to convey information via colored text. Saving/Loading via exporting and importing a physical save file. Majority of the project is already planned out, with plans to release commercially and splitting the profits equally among the two of us. 
      I would request that the applicant is able to work semi-independently, following an outline, and that they have experience in both C# programming  *and* putting those scripts to use inside Unity, whilst I will be creating the Art, Music/SFX and doing Level Design (Though if you are also comfortable in assisting me with these, I wouldn't be opposed.).
      Work will be shared in either Github or Unity Collab (Applicants preference), with communication done via Discord. 
      For more information and to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com
      Thanks for reading! 
    • By MoreLion
      Project Name:The Legends Gate:Battle Of Sorrugar
      Studio: Inbound Entertainment.
      Engine: Unreal Engine 4
      Platforms: PC And Mac(Steam) & Xbox One/PS4 (Very Very Far Future)
      Team Size:3
      Compensation: Royalty/Payback After Funding
      Roles Required:Environment Artist/3D Animator/Level Designer And Unreal Engine Programmer And Any Others!
      Project Length: Hoping For Release In 2020/2022
      [3D ANIMATOR/ENVIRONMENT ARTIST] - Realistic Assets/Textures - GUI Creation - Environment Asset Creation - Create Animations
      [PROGRAMMER REQUIREMENTS] - Fluent Programming - Work With Other Programmers And 3D Artists - Must Be Able To Create Combat Systems And NPC AI Systems
      About Me: I’m A Game Designer With A Bit Of Experience, I’ve Been Working On This Project Game Design Wise For Nearly 4 years.
      The Project Has Changed So Much, especially Story And GamePlay Wise.
      Project Description: Hello! Me And A Concept Artist Are Looking To Start Up This Team, You Can See What We Are Looking For Above, The Game Is A First Person RPG And Is Also Open World, This Is An Ambitious Project That I’ve Been Working On For 4 Years Game Design Wise And Story Wise. I Will Tell You More About The Story When You Apply Below. Also We Welcome Any Other Skills You Want To Offer As The Game Is Currently In Pre Production And Building A Team Is Very Important.
      Apply:DM Me On Discord riobio55#1958 or email me at liondude12@gmail.com
    • By Vito Morlino
      Greetings, all!
      I am in the beginnings of my journey to become a gameplay programmer. I'm looking at current job listings and conducting a gap analysis for myself so I can see what I need to work on and develop a plan to improve my skills where they are lacking. I am comfortable working with multiple languages including Java, JavaScript, Python, C#, and a few others involved in game development, and I am most experienced and familiar with C++. Comparing the lists of skills required in gameplay programmer listings to my current skills, what I lack most is experience developing for consoles. Many of the job postings required experience developing for consoles (Xbox One and PS4). I looked around the internet and the only way I could find to get experience was to register with Sony/Microsoft as a developer, but that could only happen if I was already employed (or at least self-employed). Perhaps I was just looking in the wrong places - using the wrong keywords in my searches.
      Is there a way I can get some experience programming for these and future consoles as a student?
      How should I go about furthering my skills developing for consoles once I have access? What should I learn specific to these consoles (that I am not already learning from programming for PC)?
      How different is programming for Xbox/Playstation from programming for PC?
    • By Just4lol
      I'm looking for my dream teammate(s) to help me work on my Unity game. I still dont know where Im going with that project but I want to make a good final product that I would be able to sell or publish it for free on Steam.  Here a video of the prototype (The only thing I dint made is the skybox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Otmt9jRkc
      My discord : Just4lol#46982
      I want somone at least as competent as me : 
      - I want somone with at least one year of experience in Unity (already worked with scriptable object and know oop).
      - Already worked with shaders or can do editors tools is a plus.
      - Can do 3d models in Blender or can do 2d art for the ui or particles effects.
      - Can make soundtracks or sound effects a bonus.
      Im a french Canadian so mind my english I will do my best to edit any errors I see. 
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Unity and Unreal Engine in the Latest Humble Book Bundle

Humble Bundle has announced the Unreal Engine & Unity 5 Humble Book Bundle. Pay what you want and support charity for $783 worth of DRM-free, digital books. The deal ends in 2 weeks and includes the items below:

• Building an RPG with Unreal 4.x
  • Unreal Engine Game Development Cookbook
  • Learning Unreal Engine Game Development
  • Getting Started with Unity 5
  • Mapt Subscription (30 days)

• Unreal Engine 4 Game Development Essentials
  • Unity 5 for Beginners (videos)
  • 3D Game Design with Unreal Engine 4 and Blender
  • Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine
  • Unity 5.x Game Development Blueprints
  • Unity 5.x Animation Cookbook
  • Unity 5.x Game AI Programming Cookbook

• Unreal Engine 4.X By Example
  • Unreal Engine 4 Scripting with C++ Cookbook
  • Unity 5.x By Example
  • Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 5.x
  • Unity 5.x Cookbook
  • Unity Virtual Reality Projects
  • Building an Unreal RTS Game: The Basics (videos)

Learn more at the bundle page by clicking here.

View full story

Has anyone read any of these books before, and can give recommendations?

I have found the quality of Packt books to be wildly uneven.  Some of them are very good, others look as though they were not even put through the spelling and grammar checker in Word before they went to the presses, nor the code samples run through a compiler.

It's hard to complain at these prices, but time is also a finite resource.

A friend of mine from work recommended against Packt books for the exact reasons you mentioned. But like you said, it's only $15, and you can give some/all of that to charity. :) I went ahead and bought the package. I just looked on Amazon at the Unity books in this package for reviews.  They all range from 2-2.5 stars and complain about missing or wrong code, and poorly explained examples. 

- Eck

I've had a similar experience with Packt: some stuff really good, but a lot seems written by novices and has barely had a proper editing process.

Still, it would only take a couple of items being good value to make the bundle worthwhile - let us know if anyone takes a look!