• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By RoKabium Games
      While looking out for that pesky Terrator, our little alien is doing a bit of relaxed mining down on the new gas planet "Lelantos" this weekend.... 
      #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity #screenshotsaturday
    • By vividgamer
      I have a native iOS game (objective c, XCode build) which I am considering to port to other platforms.
      Core gameplay is based on solely on geographical maps, and custom drawing over maps. It also has Core Data. This part is complete in development.
      What is not done yet is: monetization, gamification (leaderboards, challenges) and multiplayer functionality.
      As I think more about it, I am tempted to think if this is the right time to move to a cross platform tool such as Unity. But before dedicating time to port my 5 years side-project effort in Objective C, I really want to know if its worth it.
      - Does Unity support such plugins / assets that will fulfill all my above requirements?
      - Unity Personal seems to have only 20 concurrent users - is it too costly scaling if I decide for extending to web and android platforms?
      - What is the general workflow involved in publishing to iOS, Android, PC, and web platforms while using Unity? I mean to ask about various points of signing stuff, paying fees and getting certified.
      - How long will it really take to port my entire Objective C project into Unity? I am somewhat familiar with C# but I am finding it hard fidgeting with Unity IDE as lot of things are focused around FPS and 3D while my game is still 2d - not much action involved. I seem bit overwhelmed by the list of features I see there. All in all, I do not want to lose my momentum while still making sure its portable to everywhere.
      - Any assets I could use (for free to try basis in debug) that are relevant for my game?
      - Last but not the least, are there any costs that I need to be paying upfront to Unity, for using it (apart from their monthly subscription model)? I don't understand their costing for multiplayer in conjunction with their subscription fees - if someone could kindly elaborate.
      Thanks in advance for your time reading a newbie
    • By GytisDev
      me and few friends are developing simple city building game with unity for a school project, think something like Banished but much simpler. I was tasked to create the path-finding for the game so I mostly followed this tutorial series up to episode 5. Then we created simple working system for cutting trees. The problem is that the path-finding is working like 90% of the time, then it get stuck randomly then there's clearly a way to the objective (tree). I tried looking for some pattern when it happens but can't find anything. So basically I need any tips for how I should approach this problem.
      Use this image to visualize the problem.
    • By aymen
      please any know how can i' calculate the centroid from any number vertices
    • By Henry Fernandez
      Good day sir/maam. I am developing a game for my thesis and im done with multiplayer and plan to start the implementation of AI but i dont know how/where to start. Please give an advice. I am developing it in C# using UNITY. 
      Im am now collected all pieces that has possible moves but i am stuck on which best move to select. I hope you will help me. This is link explained the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Generals 

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Weird visual glitch with custom Cook-Torrance shader

I already have a forum post in Unity's forum that contains most of the details and code regarding the problem I'm having so look at that one first.

So basically, I'm trying to write my own custom Cook-Torrance shader in Unity using Cg language. When I finished writing it up, the result shows a weird split halfway down the sphere where the first half looks correct and the second half being completely black. I don't know what's causing this weird visual glitch so I'm posting this here in case someone knows an answer.

I'm using Trowbridge-Reitz for Distribution, Schlick-GGX for Geometric and Schlick approximation for Fresnel.

You can see the result in the image below. The one after the image below is an image I found in this site that shows what I expected Cook-Torrance to look like.

Edited by PlazmaInteractive

You don't seem be multiplying the result by dot(n,l) at all.

N dot L isn't part of the diffuse or specular BRDF - it's part of the rendering equation itself (projection of a light ray onto an area of the surface) so must be done outside of every possible BRDF.