• Advertisement
Leddyboo

2D What books should I get next? C++

Hello GameDev vets,

I use to program when I was younger (few college courses as well) and as I got older I got away from it. I've now been really taking learning programming very serious. I bought Sam's Teach Yourself C++ to learn the newer stuff added to C++ and refresh myself of all the basics. I am looking for the next book to help me actually start on a simple rogue RPG. I wish I could find a book (recent date) that covers heavily DirectX12 or 11 and RPGs. Especially procedural generation and tiles. I assume my book on Isometric programming still has relevant ways of doing tiles. Can anyone help me pick out 2-3 books that will help make me a comfortable windows programmer. 3D is probably my LAST stop. I just would really enjoy non outdated books regarding 2D RPG games (and eventually 3D). But I am trying to go through the stages in a more practical way. Price is not really an issue. Any other sources are great as well.

Thanks everyone!

I have the following books:

Sam's teach yourself C++(8th Edition)
|Beginning C++ Game Programming by John Horton
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (4th Edition) by Michael Dawson
Game Programming Patterns
The Art of Game Design
Level Up

(Also own a kindle version of 2D programming by I forget who, it was great during its time)

OLD OUTDATED BOOKS:
Programming Role Playing Games with DX9
Programing Isometric Games with DX7 (maybe 9)
Programming Multiplayer Games

Advertisement

In my opinion, you should first define exactly what you want. After that, we can help recommending frameworks, engines, languages, etc.

I agree with @nbertoa what's your target.

Is your character moving about in a 3D world?

Do we see your character? Requires animation for your character as well.

What tool are you going to use for your models? Blender? I like Blender because there are lots of good YouTube tuts.

Jump into 3D rather than trying to force 2D to do what you want if you are aiming for anything other than tiles.

Assuming you goal is the game, rather than game engine development, look at some of the Game Engines out there. Unreal Engine, Unity. Probably a better investment of your time than trying to learn DirectX, also makes multi-platform simpler.

If you are a sucker for punishment then I'm working my way through this at the moment.

http://files2.syncfusion.com/Downloads/Ebooks/Direct3D_Succinctly.pdf

Scan through the beast below which will help you understand how to set up your project and what you are up against.

http://www.latexstudio.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Game_Engine_Architecture-en.pdf first edition free. There is a second edition as well.

Don't get too fussed about learning everything there is to know about C++ that's what Stackoverflow is for, search for a solution to your problem.

You should also write a story about your character and world, a good story. It's the storyline that helps player to become immersed in your world.

The Game Programming Patterns book is good.

Read the Blogs on this site.

And above all else actually write the code in the tut's, copy the boiler-plate but actually type in key code. Actually working through the examples will help you build up the knowledge you are after.

Edited by timjohnarm
Additional info

What is more important, Windows programming or your roguelike ? I would learn to get a basic skeleton D3D11 program up and running, that shouldn't be too difficult. From there I'd make a simple 2D game, like a grid-based one. After that things will start falling into place. I don't think you need any more books.

Hi Leddyboo, 

Looks like you already have a few gems on your list.  I am really enjoying Level Up and Micheal Dawson Beginning C++ through Game Programming was good as well.  I think if you are going to proceed with C++ you should own a copy of "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjorne Stroustrup.  As far as your next steps in game development.  I think that before you delve deeper into programming you should clearly define what it is that you want to do, then direct yourself toward developing skill with the tools that will be most useful to you.

Actually to take @Endemoniada's point a bit further, and to quote one of my favourite science fiction authors when asked about how to become a writer. "Start writing and keep on writing it's the only way to get better"

If you want to learn C++, these are the 2 best books I've read (similar names but unrelated).

https://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-6th-Developers-Library/dp/0321776402/

https://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113/

Regardless of what API/engine you use, C++ skills are good to have. In terms of graphics, you have a few options. Realistically, going with an off-the-shelf engine will save a lot of time. However, it sounds like you are interested in learning, so writing the game on a lower level can be fun and rewarding (as well as extremely hard and frustrating). But if you keep your game to a limited scope, it is possible. 

You probably won't find a book specifically on making RPGs in DX12, so you will have to be inventive. Technically the API and game logic code are separate anyhow, so you don't have to learn them together. Get an RPG game book for any API or engine (even older) and then substitute whichever newer technology you want. The basics of game programming haven't changed much in years, so even a DX9 book will be useful if you ignore all the API calls. 

The most important thing is figuring out what you want to do. Is it to make a game? A game engine? Learning programming? Is it to tell a story? Build a portfolio? Have a fun hobby? Etc. That may give you an idea of what path to choose.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Luke McManus
      Hey all,

So I have this unfathomable obsession with the games LIMBO and INSIDE, two games produced by Playdead Studios. But as a sound designer, I'm specifically into the audio of the game, its use of ambient tracks and specific sounds to create this level of emotion I've never felt in a platformer before.

I took a stab at redesigning the sound and ambiance of one of LIMBO's trailers to see if I could replicate such emotionality with my own creativity. Check it out below. All feedback is appreciated. 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgHHBtAWwE
      Thanks!
    • By RoKabium Games
      Been a bit quiet recently, but we've been busy bug fixing and tweaking things... Now we have lots more 'Particle effects' in the game, specifically here the Flamethrower and Enemy attacks!
    • By MarcusAseth
      Hi guys, I'm having a problem rendering with DWrite, and I don't understand why, can you help me figure it out?
      As you can see in the image below, if you look carefully you'll notice that the top of R8 is cut (missing 1 row of pixels), the bottom of R11 is cut again, the 4 in R14 is rendered weird compared to the 4 in R4 and so on, if you look closely you'll spot more yourself.
      I can't figure out why 😕
      Under the image I'll also leave the code, in case I'm doing something wrong like with type conversion or stuff. Any help is much appreciated

#include "GBAEmulator_PCH.h" #include "Disassembler.h" #include "GBAEmulator.h" Disassembler::Disassembler(LONG width, LONG height, HINSTANCE hInstance, GBAEmulator* emuInstance) : D2DWindowBase(width, height, hInstance, emuInstance), m_background(0.156f, 0.087f, 0.16f, 1.f), m_textFormat{ nullptr } { //Init Window std::string className = "Disassembler"; std::string windowName = "Disassembler"; WNDCLASSEX clientClass{}; clientClass.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); clientClass.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; clientClass.lpfnWndProc = GBAEmulator::DisassemblerWinProc; clientClass.hInstance = m_hInstance; //clientClass.hIcon =; TODO: Add Icon clientClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(m_hInstance, IDC_ARROW); clientClass.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_BACKGROUND + 1); clientClass.lpszClassName = className.c_str(); //clientClass.hIconSm =; TODO: Add Icon DWORD windowStyle = WS_VISIBLE | WS_CAPTION | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_TABSTOP | WS_SYSMENU; m_isValid = InitWindow(windowName, clientClass, windowStyle, false); //Init DWrite if (m_isValid) m_isValid = InitDWrite(); std::vector<std::wstring> tempEntries{ L"PC: ", L"R0: ", L"R1: ", L"R2: ", L"R3: ", L"R4: ", L"R5: ", L"R6: ", L"R7: ", L"R8: ", L"R9: ", L"R10: ", L"R11: ", L"R12: ", L"R13: ", L"R14: ", L"R15: ", L"R16: " }; std::wstring value = L"-UNDEFINED-"; FLOAT left{}, top{}, right{ 300.f }, bottom{ 50.f }; for (auto& s : tempEntries) { m_entries.emplace_back(TextEntry{ s, value, D2D1_RECT_F{ left, top, right, bottom} }); top += 30.f; bottom += 30.f; } } bool Disassembler::InitDWrite() { //Set Text Format HRESULT hr; hr = m_DWriteFactory->CreateTextFormat( L"consolas", NULL, DWRITE_FONT_WEIGHT_NORMAL, DWRITE_FONT_STYLE_NORMAL, DWRITE_FONT_STRETCH_NORMAL, 22.f, L"en-US", &m_textFormat ); if (FAILED(hr)) { MessageBox(NULL, "Failed to create TextFormat", "Error", MB_OK); return false; } //Set Colors m_renderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush( D2D1::ColorF(D2D1::ColorF::SkyBlue), &m_fillBrush1 ); m_renderTarget->CreateSolidColorBrush( D2D1::ColorF(D2D1::ColorF::Crimson), &m_fillBrush2 ); return true; } Disassembler::~Disassembler() { DestroyWindow(m_hwnd); if (m_textFormat) m_textFormat->Release(); if (m_fillBrush1) m_fillBrush1->Release(); if (m_fillBrush2) m_fillBrush2->Release(); } void Disassembler::Updade(float deltaTime) { } void Disassembler::Draw() { m_renderTarget->BeginDraw(); m_renderTarget->Clear(m_background); for (auto& entry : m_entries) { DrawEntryWithShadow(entry); } m_renderTarget->EndDraw(); } void Disassembler::DrawEntryWithShadow(const TextEntry& entry) { //shadow offset D2D1_RECT_F shadowPos = entry.position; shadowPos.top += 1.05f; shadowPos.left -= 0.95f; //draw text DrawEntry(entry.text, shadowPos, m_fillBrush2); DrawEntry(entry.text, entry.position, m_fillBrush1); D2D1_RECT_F valuePos = entry.position; FLOAT valueOffset = 50.f; valuePos.left += valueOffset; valuePos.right += valueOffset; shadowPos.left += valueOffset; shadowPos.right += valueOffset; //draw value DrawEntry(entry.value, shadowPos, m_fillBrush2); DrawEntry(entry.value, valuePos, m_fillBrush1); } void Disassembler::DrawEntry(const std::wstring& text, const D2D1_RECT_F& pos, ID2D1SolidColorBrush* brush) { m_renderTarget->DrawTextA( text.c_str(), static_cast<UINT>(text.size()), m_textFormat, pos, brush, D2D1_DRAW_TEXT_OPTIONS_NONE ); }  
    • By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By Alberto Muratore
      Hello, my name is Alberto Muratore and I'm a young game developer specialized in programming.

Last summer I finished working on Abstract Arena, my first completed project published on Steam. During the development, lasted more than 1 year, I created every aspect of the game except for the audio sector. I previoulsy joined small competitions and had collaborations within the amateur scene, since I started having fun with game development when I was a kid. In the recent months I also started writing videogames reviews for a english-italian website about indie games.

Abstract Arena Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/678230/Abstract_Arena/
      Abstract Arena website: http://www.abstractarena.com/

I'm currently offering my skills as freelancer in the role of programmer: what I'm searching for is a project that only lacks of the coding part. I'm very good at using the GameMaker: Studio engine, and I already own a license to export on Android platform. I can write code for any genre of 2D games, and I already have experience with the peculiarities of the Android platform (multiple touch controls, accelerometer). I will be able to start working full time only during September, so be aware of that.

The plan is the following:
      1 - you have an idea about your next project (2D game of any kind, for Windows and/or Android platform),
      2 - you (or your team) create all of the graphics and audio resources,
      3 - I write the whole code for the game (gameplay, menus and anything within the game) putting everything togheter [during September],
      4 - if you like my work you can choose how much to pay for it, and you (or your team) keep the rights to sell the game without sharing any percentage with me.

Thank you for reading my announcement
      If you have any question, please write me at the following address: albertomurat@gmail.com
    • By N Drew
      I am working on a 2D SideScroller game in my own made game engine using SFML and C++.I am searching for 2D artists,especially pixel artist for making and animating characters,backgrounds and other props that can be made in any Drawing Program.The artist will become part of the team of Hammer Studios and he got a part of the Revenue Sharing.If you are interested send me a mail at:ghiurcutaandrei@gmail.com .If you are not an artist but you want to be a part of our Team,Soon we will be recruiting an C++ AI programmers that worked in SFML/OpenGL.
      We work together using Discord.

• By Ds ds
      Hi, my name is Andres, I'm a programmer with a technician degree and a Diploma in C#, looking for a project in Unity to start my career in game development. I don't do it for a paid but a recognition and start a portfolio, preferably a 2D game. Thanks for read, have a nice day. 

• By Doommy
      If someone could assist me through this I would be really grateful. I'm using SharpDX/C#/WinForms but I think this could more apply to directx in general.
      I'm very new to graphics programming and I'm really just trying to do something as simple as displaying a rectangle to the screen.
      Here is my issue:
      I have the below code:
      ----------------------------------------------------------
       var desc = new SwapChainDescription()
                  {
                      BufferCount         = 1,
                      ModeDescription     = new ModeDescription(1024, 768, new Rational(60, 1), Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm),
                      IsWindowed          = false,
                      OutputHandle        = form.Handle,
                      SampleDescription   = new SampleDescription(1, 0),
                      SwapEffect          = SwapEffect.Discard,
                      Usage               = Usage.RenderTargetOutput
                  };
      I'm not sure if the window is loading in full screen. Actually to make it go full screen I actually have to set the forms property to: this.WindowState        = FormWindowState.Maximized; but that only seems lke Im using a C# code to maximize the form. For instance if I don't set the form to maximize, the form loads at the original size if IsWindowed is set to false. I recall with directx programing using dx7, when I set full screen you could actually see what looked like a display resolution change. I'm not seeing that. It pretty much looks like the form is loaded at the same size as the screen and not the value I provide in modeDescription. This is not what I want as well because I want to set the display to 1024x768 to avoid stretching of my graphics in wide screens.
      Can someone help me make sense of this please.
    • By bartekm777
      Hello
      About me
      Lvl 28   Programmer (day job: non-gamedev-programmer, making games as a hobby for about 2 years) Some vector art experience - tried to make some assets on my own using vector software and scripts   Some design experience (designing my own games ) About game
      Turn-based fantasy rpg inspired by games like Heroes 3 (also WoG mod), NEO Scavenger, Battle Brothers I would like to create easy to use editor for creating custom scenarios (similar to the one from Heroes 3) World and story are clean slate, I did some drafts but I'm not good at it so it's possibly subject to change I decided to create graphics using vector software + scripts to make it faster (rpg's tend to have lots of assets), also it's more precise and easier to create tileable graphics (for example: rivers, paths) No sound/music work has been done yet Who do I look for?
      Definitely someone with 2d art skills  I would like to focus more on programming 2D animator (skletal animations are preferred) Additional programmer could make development faster Someone for creating sounds/music/both It's a hobby project, I work on it in my free time. In case the project make it to the finish line and get shipped  - I can offer rev-share  
      Below should be few screens of what I already did (about 2 months of work) - some graphics, editor prototype screenshot and game prototype screenshot

• By this. games
      [Free]
      Looking For: 2d Artist and Animator.
      Requirements: Experience in 2d art and ability to commit to 1-2 years of work.
      Payment: Rev-Share (Think Free as the product may not end up being sold)
      Description: An 3/4 view 2d game with a Sci-fi style. The game is based on a man who was put into stasis for punishment for his crimes. He has woken up 100 years later and must now regain his position at the top of the criminal underworld by killing his opponents. There will be a "Hub World" city and then PCG gang hideouts where you fight enemies. The assets required will be tile sets for the different hideouts, assets for the city ie buildings streets etc. and characters both the player and a number of enemies.

Send resume and portfolio to thisdotgames@gmail.com if you are interested.
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!