WoA V - The Competition Thread

Two days gone (I'm currently in Thailand, so a bit before other time zones), and here's a journal entry covering the first two days:

This site update is getting worse. Besides an IMHO horribly butchered message editor the the page loading loves to jump up/down while loading images, etc. What happened to the good old width/height attributes?

Ok so day 2 is behind me.

After an initially slow start being beaten down various internal software architecture-y issues I eventually managed to get a few things roughed out and just about in a functional state:

• Maps are now loaded from disk
  • Interactive level designer - it's awful to use but my hope is that the time spent building this will pay off with the fact that I now don't need to design a file-format whose textual representation is also a reasonable visual representation of the map (which is what I've done in past years). Also I leave my level design to the last couple of days so with any luck this will make that easier.
  • Improved fluid rendering - Just less fugly. Also supports multiple coloured fluids, because why not.
  • 'Wells' that hold the fluids - Gotta put it somewhere right?!
  • Moving platforms - Just the up/down kind.
  • Death animation
  • A few other minor polishy things here and there, which I should really be leaving til the end.

Now it's still not really looking like a game yet and the 2 themes are not manifested either. Hopefully, there's some method in my madness; I have a few more gameplay elements to be implemented yet but then I plan to 'assemble' the themes out of those!

Here's a screenshot showing a little alien dude being squashed by a moving platform.
All the art is placeholder at this point, unless I run out of time ;-)

image.png.f77af1c1184daaf425ffcacfc344c19f.png

Looks like all 'your' games are shaping up nicely from what I can see. Keep up the good work people!

Posted (edited)

Day two done, and here's my blog post:

GameDev.net version:

Personal site version:

http://thaumaturge-art.com/index.php?/archives/94-Week-of-Awesome-V-Day-2-Strange-Creatures.html

[edit]

It seems that I posted the incorrect link for the GameDev.net version of my previous entry--I posted the link to the journal itself, not the entry. Ah well, the link to my personal site should be correct, and the journal does contain the relevant entry, I believe. If it's desired that I repost the correct link to the GameDev.net version, please let me know!

I... don't see an easy, obvious way of getting the link to a given entry from that entry's page after posting. o_0 I ended up going out to the journal itself, listing the various entries, and copying the link from there.

Edited by Thaumaturge

Don't know why it never occurred to me to post update links to my journal in here. In general, progress is going slower than I'd like. But I don't think I need to panic just yet. Was able to get a basic world loaded up and some scrolling implemented.  Really need to get some sprites in there.