Quoting from 2 pages impossible, cancel button missing

Started by
9 comments, last by Dramolion 6 years, 6 months ago

1. I was trying to quote from 2 pages to in to one post. It was impossible

2. I tried to cancel one of them,then I realise the cancel button is missing.  I noticed that cancel button is there beside submit reply now with this post i am writing 

but it wasn't there with my earlier post

Oh i can see a difference,  it seems a reply deosn't have a cancel option but a topic has

cancel.jpg

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

It would be cool though if a cancel button can be added to a reply post (just like a topic post), so a reply cancelled if needed.  

And quoting from 2 pages too

@Khawk, Giving usability/ease of use feedback should be a thing you should welcome and encourage. Since you probably won't be able to spot every interface bugs or flaws yourself.
I brought your notice to a couple of issues (on the interface) that might have been over looked - which if fixed would improve the ease of use and I stated them here. If fixing them is technically not feasible, logically not right or low on priority, at least you could easily say that
But tiptoeing around this thread to completely ignore it while responding to some other threads 4 times over is quite bizarre 
Clearly you have those you have blacklisted for whatever reasons. (my impression) and I don't even want to know why

Khawk has limited online access right now (away for a few days). Obviously I can't speak for him, but I suspect he hasn't looked in on your topic because possible editor improvements will need more investigation than he has time for this week.

The feedback is definitely appreciated! :)

For now I can suggest a work-around for quoting multiple pages within one topic: if you write up your responses on each page and then submit in sequence within a couple of minutes the site should combine the posts in to one.

Hope that helps, and please do continue giving feedback on any issues you notice. :)

//EDIT: For what it's worth, we're investigating markdown support for the editor, but it may take a while or might not turn out to be easily doable, and it's currently lower priority than a few other items.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm on mobile and have limited time to respond, but @jbadams is correct. The site has custom bits but common things like buttons are standard boilerplate - so modifying this behavior will require research.

I've never personally found the need for a cancel button on a website reply though. Wouldn't the action of cancelling be equivalent to the back button or removing all the text from the form?

Re: quoting from more than one page.. there might be solutions to this but personally I work around this by using a second browser for the reply. More work I guess.

As for the comment about listening.. I typically won't respond until I either have the time for a proper response or have had the opportunity to investigate and provide a more clear answer. But then there's priorities, which means the act of investigating could take a while.

And in general this week is not a good week for that kind of thing. I'm traveling and hardly online (the email backlog is piling up!).

Admin for GameDev.net.

You are correct, there are ways around not using cancel button. But one thing made me still mention it with the quoting issue:: Due to my experience I had thought GUI coding -particularly adding a button- was so trivial, it could be coded in 3 minutes. Ease of use always attracts, I mean I've made decisions between browsers in the past based on gui ease of use. At least that's the way I felt anyway the other day I wanted to cancel the reply without leaving the page. But as I see from your reply that the code isn't quite straight forward

Wasn't my intention to put undue pressure -the only reason I felt that way in my 3rd post was because I saw some presence.  But I had still misunderstood,,  :)

Yeah, unfortunately IPS (the software powering the site) sometimes makes certain changes more difficult than you might have otherwise expected.

The editor is very tightly integrated with a lot of components of the site software, and the software assumes the default editor is present, so when making changes (unless they're exposed as simple settings) we have to check it doesn't have unintended consequences, and have to be careful that it's done in such a way that updating the underlying software isn't too painful.

We definitely do want the best usability we can get though, and we'll do what we can when we can find good ways of doing it. Please do continue giving feedback on anything like this you notice. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

On 10/08/2017 at 4:49 AM, jbadams said:

For now I can suggest a work-around for quoting multiple pages within one topic: if you write up your responses on each page and then submit in sequence within a couple of minutes the site should combine the posts in to one.

Btw thanks for the work around. Though my posting activities has not warranted me to use it yet.

On 12/08/2017 at 1:57 AM, jbadams said:

We definitely do want the best usability we can get though, and we'll do what we can when we can find good ways of doing it. Please do continue giving feedback on anything like this you notice. :)

Speaking of usability, ... I don't know if this was intentional but the search field and algorithm before the upgrade allowed direct members search, in addition to a content search field. Now the search is restricted to content  search only . Though one could still indirectly search members, but then you have to get the user-name spelling totally correct. Not so easy for users who have not post for along while.  Before upgrade you just have to type starting letters and all users matching the starting letter come up, and this helped narrow down.  Helpful when you can't get the name right and they haven't posted for a long while .  Was it intentional to remove direct members search from the upgrade? 

EDIT:  I finally made contact with the long-lost friend, former uni-mate and inactive GDNet member by finding his real life contacts . Ironically all social media contacts proved futile 

The search page does actually have separate tabs for searching content or members, so you can definitely search for either and even narrow down member search by things like role or time with the site. 

You're correct that it seems to have trouble finding anything with incorrect spelling though, autocomplete would indeed be a helpful addition.

I believe the search function is just as it came from the software, so any changes wouldn't be intentional per se, but for content searching it's definitely very superior to what we had before.

- Jason Astle-Adams

On 13-8-2017 at 3:53 AM, jbadams said:

The search page does actually have separate tabs for searching content or members, so you can definitely search for either and even narrow down member search by things like role or time with the site. 

TY, i couldnt find it first.

Maybe make the tab(s) blue like the settings ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement