• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By evader
      Recently I've uploaded a collection of original music written on my twitch stream for anyone to use in their projects. All songs on my SoundCloud are under CC-BY license (Use however you like, just make sure you credit when you do!)
      Soundcloud Free Music Playlist
      Here's the folder with all current songs including the license they fall under
      Dark/Heavy Synthwave
      Retrowave
      Progressive Spacewave
      BONUS Orchestral Warwave ;)
      The style can vary a fair bit, be sure to check each track individually for a style you're after in particular.
      If you want to keep up to date with new songs released, join the mail list HERE.
      Feel free to message me for any special requests on loops/tempo etc...
      Enjoy!
    • By fleissi
      Hey guys!

I'm new here and I recently started developing my own rendering engine. It's open source, based on OpenGL/DirectX and C++.
      The full source code is hosted on github:
      https://github.com/fleissna/flyEngine

I would appreciate if people with experience in game development / engine desgin could take a look at my source code. I'm looking for honest, constructive criticism on how to improve the engine.
      I'm currently writing my master's thesis in computer science and in the recent year I've gone through all the basics about graphics programming, learned DirectX and OpenGL, read some articles on Nvidia GPU Gems, read books and integrated some of this stuff step by step into the engine.

I know about the basics, but I feel like there is some missing link that I didn't get yet to merge all those little pieces together.

Features I have so far:
      - Dynamic shader generation based on material properties
      - Dynamic sorting of meshes to be renderd based on shader and material
      - Rendering large amounts of static meshes
      - Hierarchical culling (detail + view frustum)
      - Limited support for dynamic (i.e. moving) meshes
      - Normal, Parallax and Relief Mapping implementations
      - Wind animations based on vertex displacement
      - A very basic integration of the Bullet physics engine
      - Procedural Grass generation
      - Some post processing effects (Depth of Field, Light Volumes, Screen Space Reflections, God Rays)
      - Caching mechanisms for textures, shaders, materials and meshes

Features I would like to have:
      - Global illumination methods
      - Scalable physics
      - Occlusion culling
      - A nice procedural terrain generator
      - Scripting
      - Level Editing
      - Sound system
      - Optimization techniques

Books I have so far:
      - Real-Time Rendering Third Edition
      - 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11
      - Vulkan Cookbook (not started yet)

I hope you guys can take a look at my source code and if you're really motivated, feel free to contribute :-)
      There are some videos on youtube that demonstrate some of the features:
      Procedural grass on the GPU
      Procedural Terrain Engine
      Quadtree detail and view frustum culling

The long term goal is to turn this into a commercial game engine. I'm aware that this is a very ambitious goal, but I'm sure it's possible if you work hard for it.

Bye,

Phil
    • By davemacdo
      I'm a formally trained composer (doctorate from Michigan State) who writes what most people would call avant-garde concert music. I love weird abstract projects, and I would like to work with somebody making a weird, abstract, artsy game. 
      You can find more about me and my music on my site. I have worked with acoustic and electronic sounds, including some procedurally generated and interactive computer music. 
      In particular, I would like to work on a project that lets me use Fmod to prepare an adaptive score for a game built on Unity or Unreal. I've been a music professor and would like to get experience working in this medium so that I can be a better mentor for my students. Send me a DM or email <davidjohnmacdonald@gmail.com> if you would like to discuss working on a project together. 
    • By deadless games
      i'm am looking for volunteers with little or no experience to help with music and graphic design.
      i was thinking of making a platformer game by myself to get into programming but struggled to make music and do Character design
      you PC doesn't need to be amazing,need to be willing to spend time doing your role,
      if you are interested please contact me with one of the means below.
      email deadlessgames@gmail.com
      discord xwolf572#6974

• By Alex Daughters

Hi, I am currently a college student studying to become a Game Developer. I need to interview current game developers for a class I'm taking. if anyone seeing this could answer just the 5 questions that I have provided below as well as your name, current position, and how many years you've been in the game industry. I'd really appreciate any responses. 

Name:
      Position:
      Year in the industry:

What was the starting salary?
      How many hours do you work?
      What did you learn outside of school that was useful?
      How did you get your job and how hard was it to find it?
      how was this job different than you expected it to be?

Thank you for your time.
      -Alex Daughters
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Advice Request - Key categories to hit in a music demo reel

I'm pretty new to the industry so it's early days for me.  I'm looking to put together a demo reel of music to market myself as a composer/producer of game music.

Does anyone have any advice on optomising a game music demo reel to cover key themes and functions to best make it relevant to developers in today's market?

Should I look to cover a niche (I tend to create pretty abstract stuff that probably best suits sci-fi), or try to cover as broad a range as possible?

Advertisement

You are probably best served covering the style(s) you do best. For example, if you're not that great at reggae and put up some mediocre reggae music, then it's not going to serve you or potential clients as well. But if you put up music that you're most passionate about, that always shows off your best skills, then people will react stronger to that and you'll get better interest in your work. 

The only other thing I'll add is make your demo reel easy and quick to navigate. Nothing's worse than having to muddle through long demos to find the style(s) or genre(s) you, as a client, want fulfilled.