FastnBulbous

Advice Request - Key categories to hit in a music demo reel

FastnBulbous    168

I'm pretty new to the industry so it's early days for me.  I'm looking to put together a demo reel of music to market myself as a composer/producer of game music.

Does anyone have any advice on optomising a game music demo reel to cover key themes and functions to best make it relevant to developers in today's market?

Should I look to cover a niche (I tend to create pretty abstract stuff that probably best suits sci-fi), or try to cover as broad a range as possible?

nsmadsen    5584

You are probably best served covering the style(s) you do best. For example, if you're not that great at reggae and put up some mediocre reggae music, then it's not going to serve you or potential clients as well. But if you put up music that you're most passionate about, that always shows off your best skills, then people will react stronger to that and you'll get better interest in your work. 

The only other thing I'll add is make your demo reel easy and quick to navigate. Nothing's worse than having to muddle through long demos to find the style(s) or genre(s) you, as a client, want fulfilled. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Outliner
      In ordinary marching squares, we're trying to find isolines on a height map for some particular height. It's a delightfully simple algorithm because we can use a look-up table to determine the structure of edges and vertices within each grid cell based on whether each corner is above or below the desired height.
      In multi-material marching squares, each point on the grid has some proportion of several materials and we're trying to draw the boundaries between the areas where each material is dominant. This is less simple, since there are more than two options for each corner of each cell; at worst each corner could have a distinct dominant material. Even so, it's not too hard to approach this problem with a look-up table based on the corners of each cell.
      Finally, we have constrained multi-material marching squares, which is much like other constrained triangulation problems. In addition to the multi-material grid, we now have pre-defined boundary edges in some of the grid cells, and the multi-material marching squares must respect those pre-defined edges as if they accurately represent the boundary between two materials. I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around this problem. It seems that a look-up table will be of no use because the pre-defined edges create too many possibilities, even if those edges are restricted to the kinds of edges that marching square would naturally produce, but doing this without a look-up table also seems daunting.
      Motivation: In principle the goal seems quite simple. Take a 2D grid and use it to define terrain as a height map and as a material map that will form the foundation for a procedurally constructed mesh. Aside from the usual hills and valleys of a plain height map, the multi-material aspect of the grid allows us to define swamp, forest, desert regions on the map and apply particular procedural meshing for each. In addition to that, we want vertical cliffs that get their own special meshing and define the region boundaries. The cliffs are the constraints of constrained multi-material marching squares because when there is a cliff running through a grid cell, that should always act as the boundary if the material at the top of the cliff is different from the material at the bottom, even if marching squares would have naturally put the boundary somewhere else.
    • By ajfebresa
      Greetings,
      I am Anthony Febres, a music composer focused mainly on electronic and experimental tracks. I try to compose music that tells a story rather than a genre.
      This is a sample of my work. I'd immensely appreciate any feedback on it! 
       Warm regards!
    • By Luigi Lescarini
      Hi,
      i’m trying to build an effective AI for the Buraco card game (2 and 4 players).
      I want to avoid the heuristic approach : i’m not an expert of the game and for the last games i’ve developed this way i obtained mediocre results with that path.
      I know the montecarlo tree search algorithm, i’ve used it for a checkers game with discrete result but I’m really confused by the recent success of other Machine Learning options.
      For example i found this answer in stack overflow that really puzzles me, it says :
      "So again: build a bot which can play against itself. One common basis is a function Q(S,a) which assigns to any game state and possible action of the player a value -- this is called Q-learning. And this function is often implemented as a neural network ... although I would think it does not need to be that sophisticated here.”
      I’m very new to Machine Learning (this should be Reinforcement Learning, right?) and i only know a little of Q-learning but it sounds like a great idea: i take my bot, making play against itself and then it learns from its results… the problem is that i have no idea how to start! (and neither if this approach could be good or not).
      Could you help me to get the right direction?
      Is the Q-learning strategy a good one for my domain?
      Is the Montecarlo still the best option for me?
      Would it work well in a 4 players game like Buraco (2 opponents and 1 team mate)?
      Is there any other method that i’m ignoring?
      PS: My goal is to develop an enjoyable AI for a casual application, i can even consider the possibility to make the AI cheating for example by looking at the players hands or deck.  Even with this, ehm, permission i would not be able to build a good heuristic, i think
      Thank you guys for your help!
    • By Me7ro
      I am a musician/composer looking for work. I love music and games so its easy to put the two together. I have worked on a couple different projects, one a side scroller, the other a 2D horror rpg. My Soundcloud has music from when I first started to now. I am pretty much willing and ready to work on any type of game. I want to begin making a name for myself and figured this is a great place to start.
      ---> Soundcloud Link <---
    • By Justme2000
      Hi every one. Please I urgently need your advice on my project. I just finished developing my first game and I don't know what next being an amateur.. seeking advice from you guys.
      Thanks.
  • Popular Now