Advice for very very beginner ...

Started by
7 comments, last by nekomatata 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys, so me and team about to make our very first new game.

We decide that Isometric RPG would be good to go (Sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics).

So, what I want to ask for the advice is :

- Is it good to go after RPG game for our very first game? (i sorta doubt it)

- Also, what market should we go after Desktop or Android?

- What kind of engine best for this kind of game? (Currently, I'm using LIBGDX, i heard unity is good)

Advertisement

If you have no experience, you need to start with something a lot simpler.

Try starting with a simple Blackjack game or something, and gradually working your way towards something more complex.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Thx for replying, well I created many so called 'experiment game', like top down shooter, endless runner, etc. But, never serious game that published on market. xD

6 hours ago, LowflyerOrder2 said:

Hi guys, so me and team about to make our very first new game.

We decide that Isometric RPG would be good to go (Sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics).

So, what I want to ask for the advice is :

- Is it good to go after RPG game for our very first game? (i sorta doubt it)

- Also, what market should we go after Desktop or Android?

- What kind of engine best for this kind of game? (Currently, I'm using LIBGDX, i heard unity is good)

- Is it good to go after RPG game for our very first game? (i sorta doubt it) - Absolutely not. Very rarely will a new game developer finish an RPG as a first project. You need to understand all the components that go together in making a game, and how to implement a variety of systems.

- Also, what market should we go after Desktop or Android? - This depends on your goals, and business objectives. The important thing right now is to just make games, regardless of platform. Those skills can be used to make future games on any platform. You'll need to learn to work in different languages, and frameworks, libraries, ect... when moving to another platform.

- What kind of engine best for this kind of game? (Currently, I'm using LIBGDX, i heard unity is good) - I never like to get into what is the "best" because there are so many options. I personally use an in house custom engine. I avoid all commercial licensing issues such as paying for user access, giving a % of all sales, monthly fees, ect... I can also add features as I see fit.

I will recommend you try Unity for a 2D ISO game, or maybe check out FIFE http://www.fifengine.net/

When you get into commercial game development, smaller teams seem to forget the true cost to make their game, and focus on what the "best" tools are. As an example, if you use X Engine that costs $499.99 USD to get a one year agreement, then you have to pay 15% of all sales from using it, plus you host your game on certain platform that takes away another 25% of sales, you're only left with 60% to cover costs. Keep this in mind for future if you decide to start selling your product.

Programmer and 3D Artist

What you could do is focus on a small part of your idea. Maybe make a prototype of the combat system with a single attack type and a single enemy.

RPGs, unless text based, are rich in graphics, can you get them?

Can you do AI and pathing for the combat?

Do you have an idea of what the environment is going to look like, how you are going to make it, render it, etc.

Do you have an idea about your tools, and tools you need to make?

How about what third party libraries you might use and what languages you can work with already. 

Desktop vs Android is a question that should be natural if you actually have an idea for a game, so you should work on that. 

I would also suggest prototypes to see what some of your ideas look like.

There is old African proverb about a hunter who fells an elephant.  The other hunters laugh and ask him how he intends to eat his kill.  He laughs and says "one bite at a time".   Simple point I would not try to make a whole RPG at once as a first project, but perhaps you guys can break the project into digestible chunks and make each chunk a small project.  If the character will walk around a small town and with building make a small prototype of this.  Just a guy on a 2D map that walks around (not thru) the building.  It could be a circle moving among squares to start and it could be built up from there.  Decompose your game to its base elements and then build them to the level you are capable.

The Quarry Works Creed

We who shape mere stone must always envision cathedrals

Lucas_Cage's comment reminds me of this image:

download.png.92dc20f3202d9085e11c6a653c1f96ce.png

If you do go about tackling this beast, think about what you need to make a solid foundation. jeansberg is also right in saying that you can start with a part of the game that is most important or appealing.

Also, think about the fact that this is the first time that you are all working together. People, cooperation, workflow, and communication also need development.

Some may say that ignorance (naivety) is bliss - the fact that you don't know what struggles are ahead might keep you from getting frustrated with some things. But my experience says that you may want to pull it back and focus on something smaller ( aiming for character and personality ) for a first go.

As for audience, maybe my general advice would be to always keep touch devises in mind. There's a large and growing mobile audience. So make sure your UX / UI design accounts for it, or make sure you have some options set on paper if you choose to go PC first. PC / gampad first is definitely the easier route with this type of game though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement