• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Hermetix
      I am trying to setup the custom wizard for making a 3ds MAX 2018 plug-in (to export a character animation data), but I can't locate the wizard file folder to put the .vsz file in. In the 3ds MAX 2018 docs, it only mentions where the folder is in VS 2015 (VC/vcprojects). It's a VC++ project, but I don't see any folder in VC for the wizard files. I'm using VS 2017 update 15.5.6 Enterprise, and the folders in VC are: Auxiliary, Redist and Tools.
    • By elect
      ok, so, we are having problems with our current mirror reflection implementation.
      At the moment we are doing it very simple, so for the i-th frame, we calculate the reflection vectors given the viewPoint and some predefined points on the mirror surface (position and normal).
      Then, using the least squared algorithm, we find the point that has the minimum distance from all these reflections vectors. This is going to be our virtual viewPoint (with the right orientation).
      After that, we render offscreen to a texture by setting the OpenGL camera on the virtual viewPoint.
      And finally we use the rendered texture on the mirror surface.
      So far this has always been fine, but now we are having some more strong constraints on accuracy.
      What are our best options given that:
      - we have a dynamic scene, the mirror and parts of the scene can change continuously from frame to frame
      - we have about 3k points (with normals) per mirror, calculated offline using some cad program (such as Catia)
      - all the mirror are always perfectly spherical (with different radius vertically and horizontally) and they are always convex
      - a scene can have up to 10 mirror
      - it should be fast enough also for vr (Htc Vive) on fastest gpus (only desktops)

Looking around, some papers talk about calculating some caustic surface derivation offline, but I don't know if this suits my case
      Also, another paper, used some acceleration structures to detect the intersection between the reflection vectors and the scene, and then adjust the corresponding texture coordinate. This looks the most accurate but also very heavy from a computational point of view.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything updated/exhaustive around, can you help me?
      Thanks in advance
    • By KarimIO
      Hey guys! Three questions about uniform buffers:
      1) Is there a benefit to Vulkan and DirectX's Shader State for the Constant/Uniform Buffer? In these APIs, and NOT in OpenGL, you must set which shader is going to take each buffer. Why is this? For allowing more slots?
      2) I'm building an wrapper over these graphics APIs, and was wondering how to handle passing parameters. In addition, I used my own json format to describe material formats and shader formats. In this, I can describe which shaders get what uniform buffers. I was thinking of moving to support ShaderLab (Unity's shader format) instead, as this would allow people to jump over easily enough and ease up the learning curve. But ShaderLab does not support multiple Uniform Buffers at all, as I can tell, let alone what parameters go where. 
      So to fix this, I was just going to send all Uniform Buffers to all shaders. Is this that big of a problem?
      3) Do you have any references on how to organize material uniform buffers? I may be optimizing too early, but I've seen people say what a toll this can take.
    • By abarnes
      Hello All!
      I am currently pursuing a degree in video game programming, so far I have completed an intro to programming course and object oriented programming course. Both were taught using C++ as the programming langauge which I know is very popular for game development, but in these classes we do not actually do any game development. I would like to start to build my skills with C++ for game development as that is a common required thing for a job and am looking for ways to do this. Any recommendations such as books to read or youtube videos to watch will be greatly appreciated!
    • By Orella
      I'm having problems rotating GameObjects in my engine. I'm trying to rotate in 2 ways.
      I'm using MathGeoLib to calculate maths in the engine.
      First way: Rotates correctly around axis but if I want to rotate back, if I don't do it following the inverse order then rotation doesn't work properly. 
      Rotate X axis 50 degrees, Rotate Y axis 30 degrees -> Rotate Y axis -50 degrees, Rotate X axis -30 degrees. Works.
      Rotate X axis 50 degrees, Rotate Y axis 30 degrees -> Rotate X axis -50 degrees, Rotate Y axis -30 degrees. Doesn't.

void ComponentTransform::SetRotation(float3 euler_rotation) { float3 diff = euler_rotation - editor_rotation; editor_rotation = euler_rotation; math::Quat mod = math::Quat::FromEulerXYZ(diff.x * DEGTORAD, diff.y * DEGTORAD, diff.z * DEGTORAD); quat_rotation = quat_rotation * mod; UpdateMatrix();  } Second way: Starts rotating good around axis but after rotating some times, then it stops to rotate correctly around axis, but if I rotate it back regardless of the rotation order it works, not like the first way.

void ComponentTransform::SetRotation(float3 euler_rotation) { editor_rotation = euler_rotation; quat_rotation = math::Quat::FromEulerXYZ(euler_rotation.x * DEGTORAD, euler_rotation.y * DEGTORAD, euler_rotation.z * DEGTORAD); UpdateMatrix();  }
      Rest of code:   
      #define DEGTORAD 0.0174532925199432957f void ComponentTransform::UpdateMatrix() { if (!this->GetGameObject()->IsParent()) { //Get parent transform component ComponentTransform* parent_transform = (ComponentTransform*)this->GetGameObject()->GetParent()->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); //Create matrix from position, rotation(quaternion) and scale transform_matrix = math::float4x4::FromTRS(position, quat_rotation, scale); //Multiply the object transform by parent transform transform_matrix = parent_transform->transform_matrix * transform_matrix; //If object have childs, call this function in childs objects for (std::list<GameObject*>::iterator it = this->GetGameObject()->childs.begin(); it != this->GetGameObject()->childs.end(); it++) { ComponentTransform* child_transform = (ComponentTransform*)(*it)->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); child_transform->UpdateMatrix(); } } else { //Create matrix from position, rotation(quaternion) and scale transform_matrix = math::float4x4::FromTRS(position, quat_rotation, scale); //If object have childs, call this function in childs objects for (std::list<GameObject*>::iterator it = this->GetGameObject()->childs.begin(); it != this->GetGameObject()->childs.end(); it++) { ComponentTransform* child_transform = (ComponentTransform*)(*it)->GetComponent(Component::CompTransform); child_transform->UpdateMatrix(); } } } MathGeoLib: Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::FromEulerXYZ(float x, float y, float z) { return (Quat::RotateX(x) * Quat::RotateY(y) * Quat::RotateZ(z)).Normalized(); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateX(float angle) { return Quat(float3(1,0,0), angle); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateY(float angle) { return Quat(float3(0,1,0), angle); } Quat MUST_USE_RESULT Quat::RotateZ(float angle) { return Quat(float3(0,0,1), angle); } Quat(const float3 &rotationAxis, float rotationAngleRadians) { SetFromAxisAngle(rotationAxis, rotationAngleRadians); } void Quat::SetFromAxisAngle(const float3 &axis, float angle) { assume1(axis.IsNormalized(), axis); assume1(MATH_NS::IsFinite(angle), angle); float sinz, cosz; SinCos(angle*0.5f, sinz, cosz); x = axis.x * sinz; y = axis.y * sinz; z = axis.z * sinz; w = cosz; } Any help?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL Out of the box thinking wanted!

I spent a ton of time over the past several months looking for a decent IDE around which to start seriously expanding my shader code ecosystem. Since I have quite a few custom bindings, I can't use a standalone suite out of the box, but require something that is strongly typed while also being able to leverage dynamic shared code. I want to stress that I'm NOT looking for a complete build/debug solution - just the editor/IDE portion so I can write shaders while expanding my codebase independently.

For months I thought there was nothing that would suit my needs since any extensions that deal with shading languages seem to be limited mostly to syntax hilighting. But I wanted so much more. Finally, lo and behold, I there was an answer to my call. Well, sorta. Although in all honesty it's actually a surprisingly good answer from my perspective. Thing is, it comes with a hefty caveat.

For the non-TL;DR crowd - here's what I want:

- to write clean GLSL code
- context-aware suggestions/intellisense and auto-complete for built-in intrinsics AND my own custom objects, including those imported from other modules. In realtime.
- function argument hilighting 
- real-time type-checking
- code peek
- error hilighting
- fantastic syntax hilighting
- not having to fight the coding environment
- preferably not pay myself silly or, better yet, go completely free

Enter Visual Studio Code with the C/C++ extension. Thanks to the similarity of GLSL to C, it can actually do ALL of the above (except for the first point, obviously), and the whole thing is free.

Here's some more words to set up the scene:

I don't need to write C++ in vscode (that's what I have my main IDE for), so I decided to go native on it and use every underhanded trick and dirty hack I could think of to adapt the language to look and feel as if I'm writing C++ code while actually writing valid GLSL. For the most part this turned out to be far less difficult than I initially figured.

Here's what I did: after installing the C/C++ extension, I stripped out all of the default includes and started building my own single-include GLSL-as-C++ header (kinda like GLM, but without any implementations). All the while I had only one objective in mind: hack myself around GLSL semantics to avoid any erroneous inline squigglies that show up when there's an error in the code while not breaking error hilighting that's actually valid. I managed to cheat my way around swizzles, conform common operators to behave like GLSL and swindled my way around several GLSL-specific keywords and intrinsics.

But now I've encountered my first real headache.

Also, since in practice I only use a fairly small subset of GLSL, I expect there to be quite a few other bug issues, but this one is pertinent to me right now, especially since it interferes with intellisense and looks ugly.

The offending construct is uniform blocks.

Take the following piece of code in GLSL: 

layout(std140, binding = 0) uniform _uniblock { 
   my_struct                          _struct;

In GLSL, _struct is treated like a global. There are no namespaces or other scope-related concepts that would allow me to "extract" _struct from _uniblock. In fact, as far as I know, the uniform block is purely syntactic from a code-writing point of view and from a logical standpoint pretty much does not exist. This is an issue, because I want the C++ intellisense to treat _struct like a global, so I don't lose suggestions when I try to access its members.

Now, to hilight the type of connivery I'm employing - in order to deal with the layout qualifier part, I'm resolving it through the following macro:

#define layout(arg) struct { int arg; };

As another example, in order to resolve something like:

precision highp                                     float;

I'm defining the offending keywords and qualifiers as:

#define highp
#define precision typedef

Oh, and "uniform" is defined as:

#define uniform const

Of course this isn't valid code - but it's not supposed to be. After the replacement, vscode thinks it's valid and consequently doesn't complain. Which is exactly what I want so long as I don't make a mistake while writing the shader.

Now I want to apply the same kind of logic to the uniform block problem to get rid of the implicit scope as invisibly as possible. Basically anything goes - macros, typedefs, type obfuscation via templates, and - if all else fails - modifying the GLSL syntax using the preprocessor as long as the resulting code will compile without any additional modifications.

Truth be told, the impact of not being able to resolve this means little more than a couple of additional red squigglies here and there and a lack of intellisense for any objects that are inside a uniform block. That being said, if there's a choice between squigglies, occasional squigglies and no squigglies, I want no squigglies.

PS - I hope my description was in the very least marginally clear :)