MMO development (Help)

Started by
14 comments, last by swiftcoder 6 years, 8 months ago

Good morning, i'm a designer, i'm currently developing a MMO with a friend. 

Is our first project, he will take care of all the programming and I of all the design. But we have no experience in connections, yesterday I saw the packages that Unity handles for multiplayer, and I think the prices are high for something that I will be financing by myself, and I can not sustain an income of $ 479 per month for 50k players, I look for a server Dedicated to support at least 5k players at the same time (I understand thats called CCU no(?)), but I really do not understand how all that works. I am afraid to invest in developing the game and in the end it will not help because I will not be able to support the monthly multiplayer. I look forward to your advice of all kinds, not just connecting, it would really serve me well, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Game notes: It will be a game that will handle mostly low poly designs, but if it will have many effects, and an extensive open map, it will be zombies, therefore there will be too much action simultaneously on the screen. It will be developed in Unity. I leave some screenshots for you to have an idea, clear all the ambient light and many effects like broken things, trash, some water, etc.

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-09 a la(s) 12.47.03.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-09 a la(s) 12.47.17.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-09 a la(s) 12.47.45.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-09 a la(s) 12.48.17.png

Advertisement

Stop the MMO plan and don't spend any money on it.

An MMO is far too big/complex/expensive for you to be able to do. Start very small & simple -- even making a polished Blackjack/Poker game will most likely take you several months -- start there, and work your way up to more and more complex games.

Hello to all my stalkers.

1 minute ago, Lactose said:

Stop the MMO plan and don't spend any money on it.

An MMO is far too big/complex/expensive for you to be able to do. Start very small & simple -- even making a polished Blackjack/Poker game will most likely take you several months -- start there, and work your way up to more and more complex games.

Thank you very much for that quick response, it gives me some peace of mind, since I think you are very experienced. Believe me I thought it, because I really had not put myself to see the price of the servers (For that type of games I think are too demanding because literal is a world that will be)

And what would you think about a simple shooter with rooms?
To my little understanding would change the connection a lot, because I would only do a few maps and there would be lots of 16 players each.
The truth is I do not want to waste what has already worked, all the movements, models, designs, interface, etc. Because really much of the design is already covered.

Just now, CRWSHER said:

And what would you think about a simple shooter with rooms?

Still far too complex for a first project.

Start with something incredibly simple. Blackjack, poker, or other card games. Simple 2D platformers where you can only run and jump on some enemies. Even those simple projects will be very difficult for someone who has never made a game before. You'll learn a lot, and be ready for increasingly difficult projects.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Hi,

Time ago I was able to develop a client server Game , it must be Lost in all the posts I made and my advice is also to dont try do something too Big for starting..

You Will get frustated , it needs a Lost, a LOT of time and effort, altought you Will also learn a LOT on the process,

My advice also, go down a couple of steps..

Best regards

4 hours ago, trevanian said:

Hi,

Time ago I was able to develop a client server Game , it must be Lost in all the posts I made and my advice is also to dont try do something too Big for starting..

You Will get frustated , it needs a Lost, a LOT of time and effort, altought you Will also learn a LOT on the process,

My advice also, go down a couple of steps..

Best regards

Thanks for all your advices! 

Really the dedication and time we have to the project, but really the problem has been the connection, it is something that I sincerely believe we did not understand the magnitude and the "high cost".
Now we are opting to reinvest the project, to a 3d platform game, just a simple campaign game.

I appreciate your advice, I think that we have also made the best decision, and it is good for me to get a response from really experienced people.

Best regards.
Benjamin Solis.

If some hacker comes up, you loose all money and your closed.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

An MMO? You can't do that!

MMO's are cool. Yet they are considered one of the hardest things to make when it comes to developing software. I believe MMO's are mainly intimidating to people because of historical reasons. But the techonology has changed since then. People will always tell you "Nah, you can't do that as your first project" but my suggestion is that all you guys have to do is: READ, read a lot of documentation, LEARN and don't give up. Don't invest hundred of dollars if you don't have the budget, find cheaper solutions, also DON'T INVEST if don't know what are you doing, that's stupid, games like World of warcraft have millions of players and gigantic budgets, and employ many skilled engineers to keep servers from failing apart. Do not start one of these on your own, but you can start building a moderately-sized MMO (like just accepting users near your region)that can potentially hold hundreds of players on a single server, depending on your hardware and packet size, with time and dedication your game can grow.

2 hours ago, YASIL said:

moderately-sized MMO

Bit of an oxymoron there though.  The M stands for "massively".  The reason people say not to make an MMO as your first game project is that it's a huge undertaking, even for an experienced team with a large budget.  Even a very small locally multiplayer game has a lot of moving parts that don't constitute beginner-level challenges.  If you've never made a game before, starting with an MMO (or anything networked at all, really) is more than likely setting yourself up for failure.  Biting off too big of a challenge for a first game is a great way to become discouraged and halt your progress.

If you absolutely MUST do some kind of networked multiplayer right away, then you should probably start by developing locally, not by buying up servers/services.  You could use a spare PC and dedicate that machine to being your server until you have something that's worth deploying on paid-for server space.

10 minutes ago, trjh2k2 said:
2 hours ago, YASIL said:

moderately-sized MMO

Bit of an oxymoron there though.  The M stands for "massively". 

How come nobody ever wants to make a MOG? Why does everything always have to be MM? /rant

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement