Is this sprite anim ok?

Started by
9 comments, last by Uncharted_Artist 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi guys.

I'm new to game development.

I'm trying my first steps as a 2d artist so I need someone to give me feedback and tell me if my animation is ok.

This one has 12 frames. Its my first, I drew it in photoshop and used Piskel (browser animation).

Any thoughts?

97dd3100-7d48-11e7-b173-dda61f5788d5.gif

Advertisement

If I had any criticism it's that it doesn't look like each frame is centered quite the same way.  The whole animation kinda jitters around a bit.

2 hours ago, trjh2k2 said:

If I had any criticism it's that it doesn't look like each frame is centered quite the same way.  The whole animation kinda jitters around a bit.

Yes, it's true. One thing I was not sure about how to do is centering all the images together.

Thanks!

One way of handling animation in Photoshop is for each frame to be on its own layer. That way you can play with the opacity to see multiple frames at the same time and make sure they all line up.

It also looks like the right foot spends longer on the ground than the left foot does.

1 minute ago, Kylotan said:

One way of handling animation in Photoshop is for each frame to be on its own layer. That way you can play with the opacity to see multiple frames at the same time and make sure they all line up.

It also looks like the right foot spends longer on the ground than the left foot does.

I ould nto notice the difference of step times from the two foot. This is why forums are great, I can ask for people to point out things I can't. :)

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like there is a frame where he is a couple of pixels higher than the others. It could be like when a person runs it does sort of look like they have a little hop. Then again, I don't think that's what you were going for.

The only problem is the centering the image. And the rest is all good. Fantastic work.

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

I agree , just center the image, otherwise looks nice, if you add couple more frames to make it look crispier then would be perfecto!!!!

On 8/11/2017 at 1:15 PM, PlatinumLifeOW said:

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like there is a frame where he is a couple of pixels higher than the others. It could be like when a person runs it does sort of look like they have a little hop. Then again, I don't think that's what you were going for.

I agree. The illustration itself looks great, and I like the detail. It's just the frames not all being centered that causes it to look a bit jittery/lurchy in an upward motion. Other than that, it looks fantastic! 

I agree with most everyone, it kind of looks janky, also the back foot changes a lot when it plants down on the ground... Also the timing needs a bit more work, my animation teacher always said best way is to video tape yourself running and that should give you the timing. It looks very mechanical, which could be fine if he is a robot, but i'm not sure if he is a human in a mech suit or not, but don't forget about weight! This will give your movements a realistic feel, emphasize that foot planting down more, its carrying the weight of the entire body as well as his gear, along with the force cause by the momentum of running. When the foot plants your body should go with it as it is sprung forward for another step. Your leg is essentially cushioning your body as it bends a little for impact... This is hard to describe in words, but get someone to video tape you running from the side, then slow the video down and really examine what is happening. Humans move in arcs and curves don't forget this as well. Your back foot also the toe stays curved up as its moving forward, this would not be a natural motion. 

But animation is very difficult man, so keep it up! This is a very good start because you took the first step! Buy Richard Williams book "The Animators Survival Kit" this should be the bible for any aspiring animator.

I hope I helped ya out some. Keep at it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement