2D game animations looking for any feedback

Started by
5 comments, last by MobileGameGraphics.com 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello fellas I created this character a while back using Ibuki from Street Fighter as my inspiration. That aside I recently decided to animate her using Spine animation program. and I was hoping to get a few critiques from fellow artist and animators. Let me know what you think and thank you for any help you might bring. 

ninja-walk-cycle.thumb.gif.ceed0fa9d937956b49d9a2245323e5ad.gif

ninja-run-cycle.gif.cabeee349e2191403378214bfb42a75e.gif

Ninja-like-run-cycle.gif.c130b03270d2f2f3a3cf3a1e1e378297.gif

sneek-cycle.gif.ee6fb7aefa3e3ed546aab4353cb09de5.gif

ninja-weapons-out-small.gif.602cac65715db2cfe0c7e2502f77af61.gif

stance-poses.gif.3f164d42faca7a6e1ece2919bf5f98fa.gif

smoke-bomb.gif.0e40e09990ed0608fc761d937db57fa8.gif

Kunai-throw.gif.ff52d69fd9182d76002cb160b931a145.gif

ninja-staff-jump.gif.2222e89c8010e28a1aa34d27a16dc4e9.gif

Advertisement

Hi, looks really good for the most part, they could be used in a game as is.

Two things that could improve is depth, there is almost no way of knowing what body part is what when focusing on a small part.

Then there is also the speed, for example in the smoke bomb one you take a long time to actually drop the bomb. In a game that has to be the fast part and happen almost instantly when a button is pressed. The jump animation also holds, at the landing, for a long time and it will annoy players.

Other than that it looks very good and professional.

Walking animation top one:

For me it looks like there is missing an image in the animation when the right leg is moving from back to front.

Else very good I think

/Kim

17 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Hi, looks really good for the most part, they could be used in a game as is.

Two things that could improve is depth, there is almost no way of knowing what body part is what when focusing on a small part.

Then there is also the speed, for example in the smoke bomb one you take a long time to actually drop the bomb. In a game that has to be the fast part and happen almost instantly when a button is pressed. The jump animation also holds, at the landing, for a long time and it will annoy players.

Other than that it looks very good and professional.

Thanks for the feedback ninja I really appreciate it. Your right about the speeds of the animations, I'll definitely update them with that in mind. I understand what you mean when you say that the character needs a bit more depth when it comes to the right vs left arm or the right vs left leg but i'm having a hard time trying to fix that with a cel shaded character. I might try to add an animated drop shadow to both the left arm and leg to see if that helps. Otherwise let me know if you have a better way to mitigate the problem. 

On 8/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, Jeffreynuez said:

Otherwise let me know if you have a better way to mitigate the problem. 

Your arms and legs are separate parts are they not?

If they are then just make the back ones a bit darker. The ideal would be to make them match the background more although the only way I can think of doing it is using a bit of the alpha on it.

Remember that only your base needs to be cell shaded for style, effects can be smoother as they are not the focus of the image. So even using just a black gradient for the back parts would work.

It looks so amazing.

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement