• Advertisement
Diego_Hiroshi

3D Help! How to make "Fog of War"

This topic is 402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, how are you, people who love programming, here I am again after a very long time, I returned to Blender again with my project that I had left aside for personal study, work, etc. This time I want to resort to the help of Python programming experts and GLSL in Blender Game Engine.
The first question is?
How to make FOG OF WAR in GLSL and Python to a RTS GAME.
I am developing an RTS game in UPBGE or BGE. Only I want make a Fog of War System like the game Age of Empires. Do you remember? jajaja
Ok Brothers. Everything you konw please help me.

I'll be very greatful :) 

I will leave pictures of the game I am developing. Regards guys!!

https://ibb.co/dyQBPv
^-^

Edited by Kylotan
fixed formatting

Advertisement

It largely depends on how your game works. Does it use a grid system like Age of Empires (it uses a very fine grid IIRC), maybe a hex system like Civilization, or is it all freely positioned? For the grid-based solution, I think you can cull all objects in hidden grid sections. Then simply draw a hex / grid shaped tile on it.

Otherwise, I think you'll need to render perhaps based on distance fields, or have a texture that is black originally, and you render circles near buildings and units to "remove the fog". Then overlay this on the terrain to hide it.

I'm not a strategy game developer but this is my best advice.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!