Need help in creating quest/mission/task.

Started by
22 comments, last by Alberth 6 years, 8 months ago

Hello, 

I am a novice game developer. Currently working on a small game project made by myself. I can deal with graphics, but with coding and blueprints I have some problems. All that I need is to make a simple quest system, nothing too complex. I will try to explain what do I want to make and if someone knows any tutorials, forum threads, tips, pieces of advice I would be very grateful.

P.S. I am making a FP game, not a shooter.

So basically: 

1) Player walks to an NPC or other thing like taskboard.
2) Finds an available quest, takes it.
3) The mission is to find 3 objects: A, B, C.( A HUD displaying these objects for player)
4) Player found object A. This object disappears from the HUD.
5) Player found all the remaining objects, delivers the, to a certain point, the quest is completed.
6) After completion, another quest is unlocked and can be activated.

A good example of what I want is the newly made game Ben The Exorcist, where player needs to find some items in the house and then place them to finish the exorcism process. 

I know that I am maybe asking for too much, but I don't even know where to start or how to start. As I said I can easily make a nice looking map, objects, entities, somehow animate it and so on, but I really need a lot of help in the "coding/blueprint sphere". 

Cheers,
Martin

Advertisement

I'd start with working through some unreal bluieprint toturials. That should give you some ideas of how things work.

After you did that, come back to your game to see how to apply what you have learned.

You may also try to find a dedicated unreal forum for blueprint users. This site is more a general public which may not have all detailed blueprint knowledge that you need.

9 minutes ago, Alberth said:

I'd start with working through some unreal bluieprint toturials. That should give you some ideas of how things work.

After you did that, come back to your game to see how to apply what you have learned.

You may also try to find a dedicated unreal forum for blueprint users. This site is more a general public which may not have all detailed blueprint knowledge that you need.

First of all thanks for a quick reply! 

Another question. What will be more complicated: learning blueprints from scratch and then using them or trying to make this quest system with C++(I have basic knowledge, nothing too special, don't know any pointers, vectors or so on).

And also what should I search if I want to find tutorials on my topic? Collecting items quest? Collectibles? Skyrim-like quests?

Cheers,

Martin

Moving to Game Design forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hello Martin,

I had this same issue last year when I had to create a narrative game from scratch for my internship.

You asked :

4 hours ago, Martin1999 said:

What will be more complicated: learning blueprints from scratch and then using them or trying to make this quest system with C++

My answer : Well it's about application architecture. You should learn about OOP, exploited by C++ and Blueprints. I'm sure Blueprints is less complicated than C++. But if I were you, I would take C++ because it will give you a good basis for learning other languages.

Once OOP assimilated, search about Design patterns. These are very useful, precisely the State pattern for your case.

State pattern mechanism is like an oriented graph with specific processes for each state.

Viet Khang

If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. - A.E

5 hours ago, VietKhangLH said:

My answer : Well it's about application architecture. You should learn about OOP, exploited by C++ and Blueprints. I'm sure Blueprints is less complicated than C++. But if I were you, I would take C++ because it will give you a good basis for learning other languages.

What exactly is OOP? Thanks for suggesting C++, but if my main goal is to make this basic quest system and nothing else, wouldn't blueprints be less time consuming and easier to start with? Because you know, I don't want to make something very complicated, just one thing, that's all, so I don't want to go too deep into coding or smth.

Cheers,

Martin

3 hours ago, Martin1999 said:

What exactly is OOP?

If you Googled it, you'd find that it stands for Object Oriented Programming, and you'd also find a lot of information about what that means exactly.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

6 hours ago, Martin1999 said:

if my main goal is to make this basic quest system and nothing else, wouldn't blueprints be less time consuming and easier to start with?

Blue prints at least seem simpler, I don't know them so I cannot say for sure though.

6 hours ago, Martin1999 said:

Because you know, I don't want to make something very complicated, just one thing, that's all

No offence, but at your expertise level, you likely cannot judge complexity of your idea. What may look simple to you can be horribly complicated in reality. Computers have a very hard time doing seemingly simple things. I have this same problem with robots. Complete teams there spend eons on picking up an object, I mean, how can that be difficult?? Grab the thing, and lift from the table, how hard can that be??? Yet apparently it is, or they wouldn't need a whole team for it, right? It's very hard to estimate how difficult something is unless you already know how to do it.

There is only one way to find out how difficult it really is, and that is by trying to realize it. So start reading about, and experimenting with blueprints.

Hi back Martin,

10 hours ago, Martin1999 said:

What exactly is OOP?

It is one way to think. In program, there are data and proccesses. OOP encapsulates them in objects.

Forget about code and imagine you are a master cook. Data become ingredients and processes the instructions. Your IDE (Unreal Engine, or Visual Studio or whatever) is your kitchen. You can assimilate objects as your created meals and class as the recipes. 

wouldn't blueprints be less time consuming and easier to start with?

Sure. Begin with Blueprints. Time is so important after all. You will learn a lot  since it's your first programming language.

I don't want to make something very complicated, just one thing, that's all

It is a respectable and responsible will. Making pretentious projects which won't succeed  is a good way to end up disgruntled with computing.

-vk

If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. - A.E

6 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

If you Googled it, you'd find that it stands for Object Oriented Programming, and you'd also find a lot of information about what that means exactly.

I googled like "OOP UE4" and couldn't understand what that was, sorry for dumb questions xD

3 hours ago, Alberth said:

No offence, but at your expertise level, you likely cannot judge complexity of your idea. What may look simple to you can be horribly complicated in reality. Computers have a very hard time doing seemingly simple things. I have this same problem with robots. Complete teams there spend eons on picking up an object, I mean, how can that be difficult?? Grab the thing, and lift from the table, how hard can that be??? Yet apparently it is, or they wouldn't need a whole team for it, right? It's very hard to estimate how difficult something is unless you already know how to do it.

There is only one way to find out how difficult it really is, and that is by trying to realize it. So start reading about, and experimenting with blueprints.

Thanks! So I'll do my best

15 minutes ago, VietKhangLH said:

Hi back Martin,

It is one way to think. In program, there are data and proccesses. OPP encapsulates them in objects.

Forget about code and imagine you are a master cook. Data become ingredients and processes the instructions. Your IDE (Unreal Engine, or Visual Studio or whatever) is your kitchen. You can assimilate objects as your created meals and class as the recipes. 

Sure. Begin with Blueprints. Time is so important after all. You will learn a lot  since it's your first programming language.

It is a respectable and responsible will. Making pretentious projects which won't succeed  is a good way to end up disgruntled with computing.

-vk

Thanks for taking your time to reply, I'll consider it all :) 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement