• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AxeGuywithanAxe

DX12 Explicit bind slots (descriptor set bloat)

This topic is 488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to get a gauge on how everyone is handling resource descriptors and bind slots in the new API. Under directx11 I would allow the compiler to generate its own bind slots, and look it up at runtime. I wanted to see if people using directx12/Villanova have switched to explicit slots for easier descriptor set management, or are still using the prior version, and burning through descriptors

Advertisement

I use explicit slots for DX11 and DX12 now. I used the D3D11 EffectFrameWork before to control it but found it easier to do explicit binding for DX12.

For materials I have 2 tables. One for programmer controlled entries (like noise, reflection, refraction etc..) and one for material assets. That way I only have to update the last table when changing materials.

Henning

The rootsig creates a mapping from root-descriptors/descriptor-table layouts, and the shader's bind slots (register assignment). You can have randomly scattered register assignments in your shader, but then have predicable/contiguous descriptor table layouts.

I do shader register assignment via code generation from a simple data definition. So that's automatic from the shader author's point of view, but slots are being manually specified from D3D's point of view. When defining the input resources for a shader, a shader author must group them into "resource lists", which become the descriptor table groupings later on.

As part of the shader compiler, I loop through all my possible shader programs (where a program is a set of PS/VS/*S), get its set of input resources, and keep a list of the unique sets. Each of these is used to generate a rootsig and instructions for building the tables used by that rootsig.

At first we let the compiler auto-assign the slots to resources, which matched how we did it in D3D11. We would then reflect the shader offline to get the set of textures/buffers that needed to be bound, and at runtime we would generate a matching descriptor table right before drawing. Now we use bindless via global unbounded descriptor tables, and those tables are all manually assigned a register space that matches the root signature.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!