• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Damnwing0405
      I am looking for talents to form a team of making a strategy base action game. Talents I am currently looking for are : -
      (I) Unity programmer (mobile)
      (II) Game designer
      (III) 3d Artist
      (IV) SFX Artist
      The attachment is some game concept for the game. All the concept will be turn into 3d or card form. The game will be strategy game where the players can form their own team and control the units in the battle field real time to fight against each others.  If you are interested to know more details please pm me or send an email to damnwing0405@gmail.com

• By Noparadise
      Hi! I am new here, so if I made some mistakes tell me about it. Also English is not my native language.
      Let’s start. I am part of a young gamedev team. Now we don`t even have a title.
      Shortly about a game. Our project is a T-RPG in the style of a bright noir (the closest example is L.A. Noir), where the story revolves around the misadventures of a private detective and his mixed team of comrades-in-arms. The main rivals are not only gangsters who have entangled the city with criminal networks, but also policemen who disagree fundamentally with the methods of the main characters. But at the beginning we faced with a lack of statistic information.
      So, I want to ask you to tell your opinion about this conception. And, maybe, answer some questions from this Google Form: LINK
    • By bsudheer
      Leap Leap Leap! is a fast-paced, endless running game where you leap from rooftop to rooftop in a computer simulated world.

This is a free run game and get excited by this fabulous computer simulated world of skyscrapers and surreal colors in parallax effect. On your way, collect cubes and revival points as many as you can to make a long run.

Features of Leap Leap Leap:
      -Option of two themes: Black or White.
      -Simple one touch gameplay.
      -Attractive art.
      -Effective use of parallax.
      To Download the game:
      Playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avakaigames.leap
      Appstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leap-leap-leap/id683764406?mt=8

• By Rhia.Abstrakt
      With my design document relatively fleshed out, my mind is turning towards starting a prototype. As they say, the first step is always the hardest. This will be my first self-driven project, and that first step is looking awfully daunting. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? I know this is a very personal choice, but I'm interested to hear how more experienced devs approach that first step in development. For example, do you start small with something like the player movement and controls? Or do you prefer to set the stage a bit first by establishing a bit of the world space?
    • By Dave Haylett
      Hi all,
      I’ve nearly finished my C# WPF project (using VS2017) and am now thinking about deployment and managing updates. This is my first time doing this, and I wanted to run my current thinking past you to see if you can help, as I don’t think my current solution will fully work. I have drawn a quick mock-up of what’s in my head at the moment (attached).
      My app needs to be able to update itself, but also to add in new content once I create it (this is in the form of small .zip files, ~100kb each, and due to the volume of these files [currently 3000, hopefully expanded up to 5000 in a years’ time] I have kept these separate from my project, i.e. not as Content). I welcome comments on this decision.
      Due to keeping the content separate, this kind of broke my initial intention of “simply” using ClickOnce deployment, and letting Windows manage the updating for me, and so I’ve been thinking of how to manage i) initial app deployment, ii) ongoing updating of the app, iii) ongoing addition of new content.
      I’m currently intending to use my *free* DropBox account to host all the files, I think this is possible. Does anyone know of any better web hosting I could use?
      If you could refer to my attached diagram, what I’m currently thinking of is:
      Deploying the initial version of the app using ClickOnce by Publishing to DropBox or wherever (my project A publishing to web host D). Users can then download the Installer from here, and install on their local machines as usual. This initial installation wouldn’t have any content (the 3000 zips) and so these would be pulled down to the local machine by the below step (the initial batch of 3000 zips would only need to be downloaded the first time the app is run, after then it’d just be new content that’d be downloaded):
      Also, I have as a second Project in my overall Solution a small Updater app, which when run by the users will connect to DropBox and pull down an xml manifest of my project files and the content (I create this manifest myself), and synchronise any files which are newer. This Updater app will be downloaded and installed by the users too. In the diagram, I publish Updater app code C to web host G, downloadable by users. Please see below question:
      Question: my main app and my updater app are two separate projects under the same Visual Studio Solution. Is it possible for me to build/publish these together so that the two executables are together in the same output (in the same folder)? The reason I have them separate is so that the main project’s executable file and any resource files can be overwritten by any new files pulled down by the Updater app without the Main app being open and locking these files out.
      The 3000-zip Content on my PC (B in the diagram) I just manually copy over to DropBox (F), and keep these up-to-date when I create new zips.
      Also, whenever I update my app code, I intend (this is probably the most painful bit) to manually copy the “\bin\release” folder contents from my PC (A) over to web host (E), so that the Updater app on user’s PCs can synchronise the executable and resource files with any newer versions I have created, without the user having to download a new version of the installer, and potentially uninstall/reinstall to go from v1 to v2 of the app.
      This above bit I think is the least possible, as I have found out that just by moving the \bin\release\ executable and resources from one location to another on my PC, it no longer works if I double-click the .exe file, it only works from the project’s original \bin\release folder  . Is this expected? In my naivety I was thinking that once the user had installed v1 of the application "properly" using ClickOnce (and therefore their PC was checked for .Net framework etc) I could then just have my Updater overwrite the .exe and other embedded resource files (like bitmaps) with updates and it’d just work. I guess this would have worked with VS2005, but not with VS2017 hey.
      So, after writing all that out, and thanks for reading this far, I guess that if it wasn’t for the 3000 zips, I could package all the above as ClickOnce, and let Microsoft manage the updating for me. I don’t fancy adding the 3000 zips to my project as Content [copy if newer] to enable this to happen, but I did fancy having a go at writing the standalone Updater package, which would synchronise the files between DropBox and the user’s PC, based on the xml manifest I create.
      Any feedback you may have would be greatly appreciated, as this community has proven invaluable to me so far

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Opinions and suggestions wanted :)

Hello, I'm in the process of writing down a large project into a mind map (and testing the suitability of these features in Unity) and I would love to hear the views of other people interested in game design and perhaps more experienced in game design than I am. I will keep it short since all the information about the games design is in the mind map, but I just want to mention that it's an "immersive sim survival game" with a high focus on collaboration with NPCs. Small disclaimer, the mind map is rather big, around 8 pages worth of text.

Any feedback on any of the mechanics, suggestions for improvements or additions would be greatly appreciated. Also the issue of death is still something I am not quite sure on how to do, I want something new and novel and not just the same old re-spawn system, the only two alternatives I can come up with is permanent death or that you continue playing as one of the NPCs you have around you when you die, but this feels very lacking since it's a survival game and death should really mean something, does anyone out there have a new and novel way of how to tackle death? :/

This is also meant to be presented to a team of people so if anything is unclear I would be very happy if you told me :)

I would really like to give you feedback, however, I do not have the time to go through all that document.

I would suggest presenting smaller parts of the game, and starting with summarizing the concept of the game, as this mind map is really big to read, and it would take a really long time to properly get through it to provide you with adapted feedback. 

Additionally, for the presentation, I would suggest writing a word document, that is easier to read and more structured, so that you can introduce the game, and then each system and mechanic one by one.

Finally, I would start by summarizing the concept of the game, and what makes it unique,  into a 1 minute pitch, and once the people are hooked on it, then delve deeper into the details of the gameplay.

That is a good idea :) The mind map got bit big, but writing a report style presentation might be good, thank you :)

Hey! Looked through your mindmap and at a glance I think it sounds really cool. This genre is sorely in need of innovative AI since most survival games are PvP or just mindless monsters and really disconnected friendlies.

I really like how you have thought about the AI system, the relationship-part probably needs some love but the GOP, and the chat system and how you plan to set up all the parameters are really interesting, I hope you continue to post or give a link so we can see how that goes.

Your question about death, I have always felt that either just respawning or hardcore death feels really un-immersive. I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

Generally it sounds as you have great ideas about movement, damage, hunger, action, crafting al all mechanics. To implement them will be quite the challange but I wish you the best of luck!

23 hours ago, Plast said:

I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

That is a great idea :D I never really thought about how much of an impact resetting the relationships would have, and it gives a much more deep and realistic strategy for keeping the society you built together, since if you build a very closed and hostile society to keep yourself safe from other players and other hostile NPC's you'll not be able to get back into the society yourself if you die :) That's  so much cooler than just loosing your inventory, you might literally have created your worst enemy since the society will keep going and if you've created a society bent on "world domination" who go out looking for survivors and keep them as slaves once you die you will be battling that society that you made. Brilliant idea :D