Beacon

Opinions and suggestions wanted :)

Beacon    127

Hello, I'm in the process of writing down a large project into a mind map (and testing the suitability of these features in Unity) and I would love to hear the views of other people interested in game design and perhaps more experienced in game design than I am. I will keep it short since all the information about the games design is in the mind map, but I just want to mention that it's an "immersive sim survival game" with a high focus on collaboration with NPCs. Small disclaimer, the mind map is rather big, around 8 pages worth of text.

https://www.mindmeister.com/912394562/group-focused-survival-game-system

Any feedback on any of the mechanics, suggestions for improvements or additions would be greatly appreciated. Also the issue of death is still something I am not quite sure on how to do, I want something new and novel and not just the same old re-spawn system, the only two alternatives I can come up with is permanent death or that you continue playing as one of the NPCs you have around you when you die, but this feels very lacking since it's a survival game and death should really mean something, does anyone out there have a new and novel way of how to tackle death? :/

This is also meant to be presented to a team of people so if anything is unclear I would be very happy if you told me :)

I would really like to give you feedback, however, I do not have the time to go through all that document.

I would suggest presenting smaller parts of the game, and starting with summarizing the concept of the game, as this mind map is really big to read, and it would take a really long time to properly get through it to provide you with adapted feedback. 

Additionally, for the presentation, I would suggest writing a word document, that is easier to read and more structured, so that you can introduce the game, and then each system and mechanic one by one.

Finally, I would start by summarizing the concept of the game, and what makes it unique,  into a 1 minute pitch, and once the people are hooked on it, then delve deeper into the details of the gameplay.

Plast    0

Hey! Looked through your mindmap and at a glance I think it sounds really cool. This genre is sorely in need of innovative AI since most survival games are PvP or just mindless monsters and really disconnected friendlies.

I really like how you have thought about the AI system, the relationship-part probably needs some love but the GOP, and the chat system and how you plan to set up all the parameters are really interesting, I hope you continue to post or give a link so we can see how that goes.

Your question about death, I have always felt that either just respawning or hardcore death feels really un-immersive. I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

Generally it sounds as you have great ideas about movement, damage, hunger, action, crafting al all mechanics. To implement them will be quite the challange but I wish you the best of luck!

Beacon    127
23 hours ago, Plast said:

I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

That is a great idea :D I never really thought about how much of an impact resetting the relationships would have, and it gives a much more deep and realistic strategy for keeping the society you built together, since if you build a very closed and hostile society to keep yourself safe from other players and other hostile NPC's you'll not be able to get back into the society yourself if you die :) That's  so much cooler than just loosing your inventory, you might literally have created your worst enemy since the society will keep going and if you've created a society bent on "world domination" who go out looking for survivors and keep them as slaves once you die you will be battling that society that you made. Brilliant idea :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By notrodta
      Hi, I'm currently developing a game with a friend on Unity. We have the majority of our first prototype ready. We are searching for a 2d artist and a musician. If you are interested, feel free to contact us. We also have a demo of the game we can send you for those of you who are interested.
      If you want to know more about this game, you can check out this post:
      https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=61923.msg1347252#msg1347252
      Below is a short youtube video containing few clips of our game:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcvwbeGeIrw

• By gdarchive
      In physics, Balance is that point where a specific distribution comes to a standstill. In a balanced composition, all elements are determined in such a way that no change seems possible. The piece must give the feel of steadiness, otherwise, it will just seem off. 
      Rudolf Arnheim, in his Art and Visual Perception book, stands that there are 3 elements to balance: shape, direction, and location. He also says that in the case of imbalance “the artistic piece becomes incomprehensible […] the stillness of the work becomes a handicap”. And that’s what gives that frustrating sensation of frozen time.

In this simple example, you can see all this. Having the sphere off center gives the sensation of unrest. The sphere seems to be being pulled to the corner almost. It’s if like an invisible force is pulling it from the center. These pulls are what Arnheim calls Perceptual Forces. And with the sphere in the center of the walls, you have the sense of balance, where all the forces pulling from the sides and corners of the square are equal. 
      Returning to physics, we can say that when talking about Balance the first thing that pops into our heads is Weight. And that’s what it is all about, what we think. Because, as I said before, perception is just the brain processing images. So, if when we talk about balancing something we think of weight it definitely has to have something to do with it in art, right? Exactly.
      Arnheim talks about knowledge and weight in balance referring to the fact that anyone who sees a picture of a scale with a hammer on one side and a feather in the other knows that the first one is heavier. If the scales are perfectly balanced it will just seem off. But balance does not always require symmetry, as we might tend to think. Isn’t equilibrium that brings balance. If the scales tilt to the “correct” side (the hammer) perceptual balance would have been achieved.
      In Art, as in physics, the weight of an element increases in relation to its distance from the center. 

So an object in the center can be balanced by objects to the sides, and objects on one side of the frame must be balanced with objects in the opposite location. But this doesn’t mean that the objects must be the same (symmetry and equilibrium), for there are properties that give objects weight besides their actual apparent weight.
      SIZE. The larger the object, the heavier.

COLOR. Red is heavier than blue. Also, bright colors are heavier than dark ones.

ISOLATION. An isolated object seems heavier than the same object accompanied by smaller ones all around it. Arnheim puts the moon and stars as an example here.

SHAPE. Experimentation has shown that different shapes affect the way we perceive weight. Elongated, taller, figures seem heavier than short ones (even though they both have the same area size). 

To expand on this matter I recommend you to go back to the books I will reference in the sources down bellow. Even though these are really simple examples, I plan to move on with this theory applied to environment art. 
      The whole take on Balance gives all the world building process a solid base stone. Embracing these principles will help you understand and better plan object placement in your scene to avoid the feared feel of steadiness Arnheim warned us about.
      There is still a bit more to explain about Balance so I will be expanding a bit more on this matter in future posts.

Thumbnail art:  Madame Cezanne in a Yellow Chair, c.1891 - Paul Cezanne
      Sources:  
      Arnheim, Rudolf (ed.) Art and Visual Perception. A psycology of the creative eye. University of California. 1954.
      Bang, Molly. (ed) Picture This. (1991)
      Baker, David B. (ed.). The Oxford Handbook of the Psychology. Oxford University Press (Oxford Library of Psychology), 2012. 
    • By Yotingo
      This is how Odd Oliver see eclipses.
      Follow my places to learn more soon!

@gygestudios
      gyge.co
      @yotingo

• By Yotingo
      I'm trying to design a Rhythm First Person Shooter but it's proving to be more challenging than I expected.
      The goal is freedom from FPS movement and agency mixed with the intense thrill of not messing up when things get hectic in a Rhythm game.
      My inspirations for the rhythm aspect have come from games like One Finger Death Punch, Kick Beat, Beat Buddy, and Dance Dance Revolution.
      I don't intend for it to be musically driven (like Beat Buddy). I'm more interested in rhythmic action (like One Finger Death Punch).

Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen would be incredible!
  • Popular Now