• Advertisement
topple28

Advice or help for beginner making games on old PC.

Hello, I am a complete beginner with an interest in making games on a older Windows XP computer with 512mb of ram and a pentuim 1.8ghz cpu. I've been looking around on the site reading articles on beginning out using newer and current game engines like Unity and Unreal engine to get started in developing games. And since I don't have a PC capable of running such software as of right now, so this is what I have to work with for the moment.I would appreciate it if you guys could give me suggestions,advice or links to older software I could use for my PC.

Edited by topple28
Being more explanatory

Advertisement

Computer industry isn't know for keeping old stuff around for long. Most people here use modern stuff, and don't keep old stuff around. That holds very much for games, which are always at the edge of what is possible today.

My guess is your best bet is the Internet. Search for game software for your platform.

Programming languages evolve slower, you may have more luck there. You don't say what programming experience you have, but if you have none, you could look for Python (python.org), Java (oracle.com), or C# (not sure how fast the latter evolves, maybe too fast for your platform). The problem then moves to getting supporting libraries. I don't know how far back you can find old versions for that, but the search engine is your friend!

I don't have any programming experience and have been looking for books online to start out. I'm particularly interest in learning C++ and Pyhton ,along with Java possibly as well. The games l would like to begin making are simple 2d games like pong or even tic tac toe.   

The web application route is the one I am following, it may work for you. I like it because its easy to distribute (passing a URL instead of an install file) and you can offload the resource intensive stuff to the web server.

Python is commonly available on web servers and works well for back-end stuff so you can use it to run the logic of your game. There is a free hosting (with well defined limitations) for python here: 

https://www.pythonanywhere.com/

Python can also call C++ DLLs so you can re-use your own or someone else's C++ code in your game. For a finished game you can write the UI in Javascript/HTML with HTTP as a communication medium.

That's a lot of layers (and languages) to work through if you have limited experience...I would suggest installing Python 2 or 3 (I use 2 but whatever) and write a command line game in python (tic tac toe).

Once that works, I would suggest converting it to a web application and writing the UI (board and stuff) in HTML with SVG elements for display. Javascript can do asynchronous calls to the server and be a client side back-end.

If you want to look there is some sample code here for tictactoe:
https://github.com/coffeeaddict19/tictactoe

I would like to recommend the Love2D framework. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but it seems pretty lightweight. It uses the Lua programming language and it's very straightforward to start making 2D games in. The advantage of learning Lua is that it's often used in game development in combination with other languages, such as C++.

Lua has some good documentation over here.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:35 PM, topple28 said:

Hello, I am a complete beginner with an interest in making games on a older Windows XP computer with 512mb of ram and a pentuim 1.8ghz cpu

You have three obstacles here:

1. Windows XP is greatly outdated; I have been bitten by it years ago. Some functions are not there, whole subsystems are missing. Solution: go Linux®. 
  2. 512MiB of RAM are barely enough to run the IDE (the smart text editor you'll be writing your programs in). The engines you mention will most likely malfunction.
  3. You have a single core. In my experience modern systems take for granted at least a dual-core is available. Your measurements will most likely be screwed big way in a way or the other.

If budget is a concern to you, I would suggest a Raspberry Pi3 which for 40 bucks is a far more reliable and stimulating programming environment (also comes with twice the RAM and can arguably run a modern web browser).

Ah, btw, as much as doing tic-tac-toe on Unreal might sound cool, I'd suggest starting from the basics.

As a side note:

14 hours ago, CoffeeAddict19 said:

The web application route is the one I am following, it may work for you. I like it because its easy to distribute (passing a URL instead of an install file) and you can offload the resource intensive stuff to the web server.

No. Absolutely not. What the server does is connect the players. You don't want any heavy-duty processing going on the server, you'll be paying $$$ for saving nothing to the client; client performance is free to use for you; server time isn't. 18 months ago I bought a smartphone for 70; it runs on battery and still has plenty of juice for everything I thrown at it.

Be warned that running Windows XP on the internet today is positively dangerous, given that it is not being actively protected against all the malware that exists targeting it now.

I would second the suggestion for PyGame - it's a good learning environment for simple 2D games.

I'd imagine using any modern engine on that old of a machine is going to be a challenge.  I don't think there's going to be an easy route in this case.  Maybe you could skip the premade engine and go strait for C++/OpenGL.

I'll certainly be looking into Python along with love2d and the possibility of installing a linux distro on my PC. I Thank you all for the help and advice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Gezu
      Hi,
      I'm working on Warriorb for about 2,5 years now and recently we made a playable version of the first part of the game. There are still some elements missing (mostly vfx and sfx) but most of it is close to final.
      I would love to hear what do you think about our game so far. Any critique, feedback, idea or tip is appreciated.
      If you are interested send me a pm and I will give you a steam key for the game.
      I'm eager to receive your feedback:
      Gézu
    • By Erik Nivala
      So, as the title says i am trying to figure out a good way sync all that information with other players in Unity. My problem is that i can't come up with a good solution since i am used to creating classes for everything e.g. attachments are its own class and then the weapon would save a reference to that attachment. But since you can't send custom classes over [Command] & [ClientRPC] i am a little stuck. A solution for this would be giving each attachment for a slot a unique ID and then passing the ID to other player but i feel like that is very error prone if other ppl add a new attachment or the IDs get mixed up.
      Is there a "standard" way that this is usually done that i am missing?
      I am fairly new to programming so any help is appreciated!
    • By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By JoAndRoPo
      While going through a Game Design Document Template, I came across this heading - Core Game Loop & Core Mechanics Loop. 
      What's the difference? Can you provide some examples of an existing game?  Suppose if I am including these topics in a Game Design Document, how should I explain it so that my team can understand? 
    • By HomeBrewArcana
      Hey All,
      I'm looking to get into the gaming industry. I've skirted around the idea for a long time, always thinking that I couldn't do it. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

My question is whether it's worth going to school for game design/coding etc. I've been writing content for paper games for a while, and have a good idea of story and some basic design. But I have next to no technical know how. 

My instinct is that such things can be learned with a lot of practice, video tutorials, and more practice. I've also heard that a degree is not really that important, since you get hired based on your portfolio/prototypes. Why not just make the games?
      But won't a degree help with contacts and mentoring--I'm not a great networker.

Of course, it'll plunge me into more debt, but...
      If anyone has advice, let me know. Also any idea of a program to start with: Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Construct, Stencyl--I've heard good things about them all, so much so that I don't know which would be best to start with!

Thanks
    • By Liquifire
      I'm making an small 2D engine using Kha and I have a timer class, which basically simply either waits a certain amount of time to call a function, or repeatedly calls a certain function after every x seconds. I simply want to know if I should have timers run on different threads. I'm aware that makes sense, but I might use many timers in a game for example, would that still be okay? Also I'm currently writing an animation components, which waits every x seconds to draw another image using the timer class. And in a normal 2D games, I would have many objects with animations on them, other than the other timers. So I just wanted to ask people who have more experience and knowledge than I have what I should do for timers: Either leave them on the same main thread, or make them run on different threads. Thanks in advance.
    • By Developer Dre Reid
      Hello fellow game devs I am seeking some answers to a somewhat simple question. Now I always thought that when a dev was going to work on a new game to publish he/she should keep some aspects secret infill time to release then he/she can give out needed information pertaining to the game to the public as a marketing tactic. However I had a discussion with other game devs who stated that my way was somewhat not right and the only reason I had such thoughts was due to me being a smaller indie dev who was afraid of having my idea stolen. 
      Therefore I would honestly like to know if my way was right or were the other devs correct. If I were to start working on a new game and give out information about it online via social media would I be risking my idea being stolen and it being made faster and better by another developer or team of developers. Am...Am I paranoid??? 
    • By Aaron Marsden
      Hey everyone! 
      My name is Aaron and I’m a writer, gamer, and marketer/campaign manager for PowerSpike, a startup in the Twitch space. For the past two years, I’ve had the opportunity to build and run professional Twitch influencer marketing programs for some great brands (a few clients include Soylent, Camp Mobile, CreativeLabs, and more). 
      I’ve been obsessed with Twitch as both an entertainment and marketing platform since 2014. Before entering the world of marketing, I was a broadcaster and a content creator myself and made YouTube videos in my spare time. 
      Recently many game developers have shown interest in collaborating with Twitch streamers to promote their games -- and I think I can help! 
      I’ve learned so much about entertainment and community development from studying the growth of popular streamers since then, and my current position has allowed me to learn an incredible amount about the process of promoting a product/game/service’s message to a large audience with the help of Twitch streamers. 
      I’d love to share what I’ve learned with anyone who has questions. Ask me anything! 

If you’d like, you can follow me on Medium at https://medium.com/@aaronmarsden -- that's where I'll be posting both personal and PowerSpike articles on game dev marketing. I also just released my first article, "The Ultimate Guide for Promoting Your Game with Twitch Influencers," here on GameDev.net! You can check it out here:
      Thanks everyone!
    • By shadow_archer
      hello!
      so i had this idea of a game i wanted to make that i had in mind for years and i wanted to try to execute it (at least partiality).
      problem is, i don't really know what kind of game style this game can fall under and i don't really know where to start learning sources and design wise :/ .
      i want to create a management style game and all the controls the user has are through a menu of some sort similar to this (this particular example is from a game called '911 operator' by jutsu games):

to find more information about how i can create such a game i really want to know what's the name of this style of game, mostly GUI controlled game.
      aside from that i'm looking for a bit of advice,
      which engine would be best for such a game? i'm fluent in C++,C# and python so any game engine you can throw at me is great!
      are there any good sources to learn from before jumping into this kind of game, tutorials of some sort perhaps?

thanks so much to anyone who answers, this really means a lot to me!
    • By callmevivi
      Hi! 
      So, I've recently thought of a nice twist to a hack and slash-type zombie game that I'd love to make (mostly so that no one can steal the idea I'm not gonna elaborate to much on the story, but that should be no issue to help me, I think).
      But my problem here is that I have little to no knowledge of coding. I AM willing to learn, but I'd rather not have to develop 50 games before I've learned how to develop the game I actually wanna make. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't have that kind of endurance for this.
      The game I'm looking to develop is basically just your typical Player having to fight their way through masses of zombies in a city towards a certain safe place, going from location (check-point) to location.
      The only controls I really want for the player to have are:
      -to interact with objects (like talk to people aka trigger a dialogue or cutscene, pick up objects like weapons, have commentary appear when interacting with something (like the player clicking on a corpse and triggering the player thinking "Please, don't attack me to. ... Thank you very much, Sir.". All of this could be established with simply triggering a cutscene though.),
      -move with the arrow keys or ASWD,
      -have a health bar (not necessarily displayed, I just want the player to actually be able to die if they get gnawed by too many zombies)
      -and hack away at zombies coming towards the player. Just let out all your frustration by bashing in their faces, maybe have a satisfyingly-bloody animation when they die. 
      -Hopefully have companion characters fight zombie hordes with you. (Although I could get creative and find excuses not to have the side-characters fight with you)
      -No jumping required.
      -Inventory would be nice but not necessary either. 
      -Saving your current game progression manually would be great, but could be done with check-points, too.

Primary focus of the game would be just having fun hacking away at zombies and getting to know the characters, who I hope to make worth getting to know. 
      I've been researching the internet for game engines for weeks now but I haven't really found one that seemed helpful to me, mostly because the reviews are full of vocabulary that as an absolute newbie I understand none of. So, whenever I read the cons for an engine in the review I understand very little of it.
      Although an engine that requires absolutely no coding and still be able to perform all of this would be an absolute dream come true, I believe that's quite impossible to find. The only non-coding engines I've come across so far are absolute garbage due to limits, buggy, underdeveloped, or abandoned by their creators. I'm willing to learn coding, I'm not afraid of it as long as there are tutorials and templates out there, too. 
      As I'm a hobbyist I'd rather not pay for an engine or to export my game. I'm most-likely not going to sell my game for money and if I do it won't be expensive at all no matter how much time I'd invest in it. 
      Obviously the game would need to either be open source or let me publish and distribute the game freely.
      The only game engine I've found so far that I believe I'd understand is Adventure Game Studio, but I haven't used it much yet, just watched a couple tutorials on youtube. But it's a point-and-click only engine as it seems so it won't be of much help for this type of game, unless I get really creative with my controls (I'll keep this engine in mind for other possible projects in the future, though).
      I've tried Godot as well, which seems to be really hard to learn for a beginner of my level, especially as the coding language is completely unique to the engine from what I've read (and noticed myself).
      I did come across Unity and UE (Unreal Engine) and from what I've read it seems that Unity is better, but, again, I understand very little of any reviews I've read. What's mostly scaring me away is that services that have Premium possibilities you pay for are usually really limited in a stupid way. But if this is not the case, hey, let me know!
      Pixel-art-ish animation would work well, too, so an alternative to RPG Maker would be fine (or at the very least a cheap alternative where I don't have to pay monthly for).
      The art for the game I can provide and create completely by myself if it's 2D. I'm an artist mostly and I have experience with making comics and digital drawings (fanart mostly hahaha) and I've gotten into animation which I'm fairly decent at (I'd be willing to learn 3D animation, though!).
      So, that's about all the info I think might be of importance, but if there's anything more you need to know to help me, I'll answer as quick as I can!! And if you tell me I gotta give up on some of the features I want the game to have, I'd be willing to listen to suggestions. 
      Thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to help me!
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!