timjohnarm

DX11 Direct2D but generate background from 3D Model

So the application itself is 2D and layered but I want to build the background bitmap from a Blender 3D model.

When I make an appeal to Saint Google there seem to be an awful lot of ways of getting to the desired result.

The process I have in mind is to do the following. Please comment on the practicality or otherwise of this approach.

Use a background thread to:

• Load the model
  • Create a 3D buffer for rendering into
  • Render into the buffer
  • Copy the 3D buffer to a 2D buffer somewhere

The main loop will

• Blit? copy the 2D background to the backbuffer of the swap chain
  • Overlay the background with various sprites
  • Swap buffers

Which leads to the following questions.

What is the best option for exporting a Blender model for use by DirectX.

Which API should I use to create a 3D buffer for rendering the model into? As it only gets rendered on scene changes, every 10-20 seconds, am I correct in assuming it shouldn't be part of the swap chain? In managing the background buffer is it best to, or must I, use a "dummy" device of some kind?

How do I turn a 3D buffer into a 2D bitmap for load into the 2D swap chain?

What is the best way to set up the 2D buffer  so asto minimise the cost of the copy for every frame by the main loop?

Edited by timjohnarm
Clarity

Hi,

Does the background move ? I'm not familiar with Direct2D. You can always just go full D3D and render quads for the 2D stuff, it will certainly be very fast.

As for loading models from Blender (or any other program) you'll need a loader. It's not that hard to code an .obj loader yourself, otherwise you can probably find some code. It depends on the format your game engines uses so I would just make it myself if I were you, it basically comes down to parsing a text file (for .obj).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By ScyllaBus
      Using my loop based on this: https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/
      Trying to get my game to run at fixed 60FPS (both update and render) for all machines. Studied the link above and have been stuck on this game loop for weeks trying to get it to work smoothly to glide this image across the screen. I had dealt constantly with jittering and possible tearing. I can't recall what I did to fix it exactly, but I believe it may have something to do with not rounding a variable properly (such as delta).

So yeah, currently the loop works but I'm afraid as I develop the game more and have to render more, eventually something I'm doing in my loop could cause slowdowns or larger CPU usage. Does the structure of the game loop below seem okay or is there something I can do to optimize it?
      The 2D game is a generic sidescroller. Not too heavy on physics, mainly just simple platformer physics. I feel as though I'm using way too much CPU.

void Game::mainLoop() { double fps = 60.0f; int frameSkip = 5; int deltaSkip = frameSkip; double miliPerFrame = 1000.0 / fps; double xx = 0.0f; double playSpeed = 5; Uint64 previous = SDL_GetPerformanceCounter(); double accumulator = 0.0f; bool shouldRender = false; bool running = true; while(running){ Uint64 current = SDL_GetPerformanceCounter(); double elapsed = (current-previous) * 1000; elapsed = (double) (elapsed / SDL_GetPerformanceFrequency() ); previous = current; // handleEvents() handleEvents(); // when we press escape reset x to 0 to keep testing // when he goes off screen if(key_states[SDL_SCANCODE_ESCAPE]) xx = 0; accumulator+=elapsed; if(accumulator >= miliPerFrame * frameSkip) accumulator = 0; shouldRender = accumulator >= miliPerFrame; while(accumulator >= miliPerFrame){ // update() //cout << playSpeed << endl; double delta = ceil(elapsed); if(delta > deltaSkip) delta = 1; //if(elapsed >= 1) delta = elapsed; xx+= playSpeed * delta;// * (1 / fps); // /update() accumulator -= miliPerFrame; //get what's left over } if(shouldRender){ // render() SDL_SetRenderDrawColor(gameRenderer, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF); SDL_RenderClear(gameRenderer); imageController.drawImage("colorkeytest", floor(xx), 0); SDL_RenderPresent(gameRenderer); // /render() } } }  
    • By schneckerstein
      Hello,
      I manged so far to implement NVIDIA's NDF-Filtering at a basic level (the paper can be found here). Here is my code so far:
      //... // project the half vector on the normal (?) float3 hppWS = halfVector / dot(halfVector, geometricNormal) float2 hpp = float2(dot(hppWS, wTangent), dot(hppWS, wBitangent)); // compute the pixel footprint float2x2 dhduv = float2x2(ddx(hpp), ddy(hpp)); // compute the rectangular area of the pixel footprint float2 rectFp = min((abs(dhduv[0]) + abs(dhduv[1])) * 0.5, 0.3); // map the area to ggx roughness float2 covMx = rectFp * rectFp * 2; roughness = sqrt(roughness * roughness + covMx); //... Now I want combine this with LEAN mapping as state in Chapter 5.5 of the NDF paper.
      But I struggle to understand what theses sections actually means in Code: 
      I suppose the first-order moments are the B coefficent of the LEAN map, however things like
      float3 hppWS = halfVector / dot(halfVector, float3(lean_B, 0)); doesn't bring up anything usefull.
      Next theres:
      This simply means:
      // M and B are the coefficents from the LEAN map float2x2 sigma_mat = float2x2( M.x - B.x * B.x, M.z - B.x * B.y, M.z - B.x * B.y, M.y - B.y * B.y); does it?
      Finally:
      This is the part confuses me the most: how am I suppose to convolute two matrices? I know the concept of convolution in terms of functions, not matrices. Should I multiple them? That didn't make any usefully output.
      I hope someone can help with this maybe too specific question, I'm really despaired to make this work and i've spend too many hours of trial & error...
      Cheers,
      Julian
    • By KARTHI
      I planned to make a space game so I need a knowledge about 3d planet making so anyone help me to make it possible
      🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
    • By KARTHI
      I planned to make a game like star citizen. In this game player can travel through the space ,explore the planets, Hunt the different creatures, drive the space ship, explore different regions in universe, destroy the space stations and also player can go anywhere in the universe and meet aliens and so on
      Did you like this idea?
      Please give me reply so that I can easily understand what you want.
      🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
    • By ilovegames
      Your home planet was attacked. Now you have to use your spaceship to battle the invaders. Powerful 3D arcade with outer space background. Very addictive. Good luck!
      Download https://falcoware.com/StarFighter.php

• Popular Now