• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By zfvesoljc
      I have a particle system with the following layout:
       system / emitter / particle
      particle is driven by particle data, which contains a range of over lifetime properties, where some can be random between two values or even two curves. to maintain a smooth evaluation between two ranges, i randomize a "lerp offset" on particle init and use that value when evaluating curves. the issue is that i'm using that same offset value for all properties (10ish) and as a result i'm seeing some patterns, which i'd like to remove. The obvious way is to just add more storage for floats, but i'd like to avoid that. The other way is to generate a seed of some sort and a random table, and use that to generate 10 values, ie: start with short/integer, mask it, then renormalize to float 0-1.
      any other ideas?
    • By dgi
      Hey all ,
      For a few days I'm trying to solve some problems with my engine's memory management.Basically what is have is a custom heap with pre allocated memory.Every block has a header and so on.I decided to leave it like that(not cache friendly) because my model is that every block will be large and I will have a pool allocators and stack allocators dealing with those blocks internally. So far so good I figure out how to place my per scene resources . There is one thing that I really don't know how to do and thats dealing with containers.What kind of allocation strategy to use here.
      If I use vector for my scene objects(entities , cameras , particle emitters .. ) I will fragment my custom heap if I do it in a standard way , adding and removing objects will cause a lot of reallocations . If I use a linked list this will not fragment the memory but it's not cache friendly.I guess if a reserve large amount of memory for those vectors it will work but then I will waste a lot memory.I was thinking for some sort of mix between a vector and a linked list , where you have block of memory that can contain lets say 40 items and if you go over that number a new one will be created and re location of the data would not be needed.There would be some cache misses but it will reduce the fragmentation.
      How you guys deal with that ? Do you just reserve a lot data ?
    • By Hermetix
      I am trying to setup the custom wizard for making a 3ds MAX 2018 plug-in (to export a character animation data), but I can't locate the wizard file folder to put the .vsz file in. In the 3ds MAX 2018 docs, it only mentions where the folder is in VS 2015 (VC/vcprojects). It's a VC++ project, but I don't see any folder in VC for the wizard files. I'm using VS 2017 update 15.5.6 Enterprise, and the folders in VC are: Auxiliary, Redist and Tools.
    • By KarimIO
      Hey guys! Three questions about uniform buffers:
      1) Is there a benefit to Vulkan and DirectX's Shader State for the Constant/Uniform Buffer? In these APIs, and NOT in OpenGL, you must set which shader is going to take each buffer. Why is this? For allowing more slots?
      2) I'm building an wrapper over these graphics APIs, and was wondering how to handle passing parameters. In addition, I used my own json format to describe material formats and shader formats. In this, I can describe which shaders get what uniform buffers. I was thinking of moving to support ShaderLab (Unity's shader format) instead, as this would allow people to jump over easily enough and ease up the learning curve. But ShaderLab does not support multiple Uniform Buffers at all, as I can tell, let alone what parameters go where. 
      So to fix this, I was just going to send all Uniform Buffers to all shaders. Is this that big of a problem?
      3) Do you have any references on how to organize material uniform buffers? I may be optimizing too early, but I've seen people say what a toll this can take.
    • By abarnes
      Hello All!
      I am currently pursuing a degree in video game programming, so far I have completed an intro to programming course and object oriented programming course. Both were taught using C++ as the programming langauge which I know is very popular for game development, but in these classes we do not actually do any game development. I would like to start to build my skills with C++ for game development as that is a common required thing for a job and am looking for ways to do this. Any recommendations such as books to read or youtube videos to watch will be greatly appreciated!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

C++ Call a function defined in a different .m file

How can I call a function defined in GameViewController.mm from AppDelegate.m? I want to be able to call setupGL() from applicationWillEnterForeground().

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Edited by sjhalayka