WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 7 months ago

The community reviews are pretty cool.  However would it be possible to have it ignore null score values when calculating the average? It appears at the moment that if a score is left blank it's bringing down the average.

Advertisement
29 minutes ago, kseh said:

The community reviews are pretty cool.  However would it be possible to have it ignore null score values when calculating the average? It appears at the moment that if a score is left blank it's bringing down the average.

Yea, i'm working on that right now.  I actually have little idea how this is happening as it shoudn't be passing some of the checks i have in place to prevent this from happening.  but alas it is, so i'm sending pm's to the people with null scores now to see if i can track down the issue.

Also remember that many scores don't include participation at the moment, for many of you that'll be adding 10 points to your score.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

The submissions site is pretty cool, that is something Khawk should consider integrating into the site proper! (Or was that indeed the plan originally?)

@stenol26 Thank you very much for the review! I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'm just glad to hear it runs on someone else's machine.

By the way, for anybody on OSX or Linux that wants to try my entry: Theoretically it should run if you have Java8 installed, just double click the the .jar file or execute on the cmdline:  

java -jar game.jar

I didn't test on Linux and only I only managed a quick check against OSX which looked promising but not really tested. So I can't be sure the final delivery works anywhere other than Windows. If it does, let me know!

I'm gonna try everybody's games out once I decompress some more ;-)

@slicer4ever  Looks like I'm missing a couple of devblog entries (I'm not worried by that, just not not sure if it would affect my participation score if I didn't point it out)...

35 minutes ago, dmatter said:

The submissions site is pretty cool, that is something Khawk should consider integrating into the site proper! (Or was that indeed the plan originally?)

There will be a proper fully integrated solution for this in future, it just wasn't quite ready for the contest this year. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm reviewing as many games as I can, but I've stumbled into something. I wrote a lengthy review of [1], but after saving I only got my scores but not the text!

[1] https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Submissions#dmatter

I've added a reviews for some of the entries (barring my own, of course). I had site-related trouble with certain others (see below), and in several other cases decided to not give a review. Regarding that last set, my reasons:

Merlin and the Invaders from Mars: It seems to crash on starting a new game. :/

Assassinator: Similarly, it seems to crash when the game is run.

Knights vs Aliens: It seems to be multiplayer-only; I didn't feel like setting it up in order to play against myself. ^^;

Domino Castle: It required a component that wasn't included. Since this is just a community review, I decided to skip it.

Castle Spaceships. Required the installation of another component. While I now see that the installer for this was included, I likely wouldn't have done so for a community review. ^^;

Invasion of Planet Frog: As above, required an additional component.

Castilla: It's not really my sort of game, I fear. ^^;

Thunderstruck: Similarly, this is really not my sort of game.

Regarding the competition website, it might be handy to have numbers over the radio buttons used to enter scores. I do see that the number shows up in the score itself after selecting one, and the score can be changed freely, but it would be a convenience, I think, to have more-immediate feedback. If space is lacking above the radio buttons, perhaps it might be implemented as a tooltip?

I also encountered a few issues:

- Reviews seem to be cropped before the character-limit imposed by the review-entry. They also seem to lose formatting (such as line breaks). :/

- In attempting to review certain games (such as Avalander's), I received the error "invalid input". Hard-refreshing the page seemed to work for some, but not others. :/

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

IYP, thank you for the review! To answer two points, if I may:

Spoiler

As to using the weapons, I daresay that a tutorial might have been a good idea. ^^;

In short, the two additional weapons are both "charging" weapons: the spread-fire one narrows its field of fire when charged, while the other increases its area-of-effect on impact--but also slows the projectile.

As to health, there are health orbs to be found--but I was thinking just today, as I recall, that it might have been a good idea to scatter a few more about. ^^; The first should be found at the vertical chain: take the lower platform down, and it should stop at a short walkway with three orbs at the end.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

4 hours ago, jbadams said:

There will be a proper fully integrated solution for this in future, it just wasn't quite ready for the contest this year. :)

I'm still assuming the whole thing is just an elaborate ruse to steal my login credentials. Totally worth it though. 

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

ok, first up i've finally got the entire bundle uploaded:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7OCTMofiWbhZ0NkZ3lmOUM0eU0/view?usp=sharing this is all of this years games!

On 8/14/2017 at 9:42 PM, racsoth said:

I'm reviewing as many games as I can, but I've stumbled into something. I wrote a lengthy review of [1], but after saving I only got my scores but not the text!

[1] https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Submissions#dmatter

It looks like some of what you wrote got cut off when inserted into the database as it was longer than that entry which caused it to be malformed when calling a decodeURIComponent on it.  i've upped the review lengths allowed by 8x and i'll add a guard into the script to prevent this from happening in the future.  I've recovered what i could, but it is trimmed a bit, so you'll have to resubmit whatever else was written.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:24 PM, Thaumaturge said:

Regarding the competition website, it might be handy to have numbers over the radio buttons used to enter scores. I do see that the number shows up in the score itself after selecting one, and the score can be changed freely, but it would be a convenience, I think, to have more-immediate feedback. If space is lacking above the radio buttons, perhaps it might be implemented as a tooltip?

Are you not seeing that in the existing tooltip?  or are you not seeing a tooltip at all on hover over.  it should look like this:

http://imgur.com/dT2zg4i

On 8/14/2017 at 10:24 PM, Thaumaturge said:

- Reviews seem to be cropped before the character-limit imposed by the review-entry. They also seem to lose formatting (such as line breaks). :/

- In attempting to review certain games (such as Avalander's), I received the error "invalid input". Hard-refreshing the page seemed to work for some, but not others. :/

Yes this was a bit of an oversight on my part, i forgot to add checks that the thoughts didn't overrun the length of the database, as it has to include escaping them so that they can't be used for a mysql injection.  I've also upped the length of what you can write from 1024 characters to 8096.

as for the 2nd problem i'm currently attempting to track down what's causing the issue.  I added some more safeguards to the server to prevent all null review submissions from being allowed to pass into the server, but i'm not sure how it's getting that far as their are local side checks as well that shoudn't allow a submission to be made if your missing an input.

edit: upon further inspection i think i know what is occurring, right now if you see "Error: [Gameplay|Graphics|Audio|etc] has an invalid input". open your developer console and please report what the console is saying to me.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, dmatter said:

@slicer4ever  Looks like I'm missing a couple of devblog entries (I'm not worried by that, just not not sure if it would affect my participation score if I didn't point it out)...

Thanks i added both in.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement