ECS : mega entity array VS many component arrays

Started by
26 comments, last by Kylotan 6 years, 7 months ago

I have recently read T-machine's Entity Component System (ECS) data structure. (link)

Its "best" version (4th iteration) can be summarized into a single image (copy from T-machine's web) :-

image.png.d88580612f8a76efc3783296f7ab0602.png

This approach also appears in a VDO 

" rel="external">
  , with slide and source code ( https://github.com/CppCon/CppCon2015/tree/master/Tutorials/Implementation of a component-based entity system in modern C++ ) .

There are many people (including me) believe that the above approach lacks data locality, because Position-1,Position-2,Position-3, ... are not stored in a contiguous array.

However, many attempts failed to elegantly make it contiguous.  (e.g. stackoverflow's link

• I also realized that, to make it contiguous, the cost of query Entity<-->Component is unavoidably significantly higher. (I profiled)

I would like to hear that ....

I know that its depend on data access pattern (i.e. cache miss).  I still want to hear more opinion/argument about it, because I may need to rewrite a large part of my engine to make it support 30,000+ entity (personal greed).    

Thank.

Advertisement

The component system outlined on the T-Machine blog is a mish-mash of hating object-oriented programming, love for relational databases, and then an attempt to wedge in cache-coherency - don't expect to follow those articles and get anything elegant out of them.

If you want to worry about having contiguous data then the data access pattern cannot be waved away or ignored. Whether you benefit or suffer from interleaving different component types will depend entirely on how you intend to access them. Data locality is about read patterns, not semantics; know your read pattern, then you can decide. The names we assign to that data like 'position' or 'physics' are entirely arbitrary and the cache doesn't care. 30000 entities is going to stress any system if they are non-trivial, anyway.

In my opinion, the real benefits from component-based approaches are in modularity and in providing a composition-based approach to implementing functionality. Much of the recent emphasis on being data-oriented and cache-coherent is missing the point and overcomplicating software for little real benefit. Note that the Randy Gaul article you linked stresses modularity first and only mentions cache coherence as an optimisation. That is exactly the method I would use; first implement components to suit my gameplay, then attempt to find ways to locate them in memory to reduce cache misses.

Because of curiosity + stubbornness, I converted my engine to use T-machine's approaches.

Today, I find that T-machine's technique is slower by 2-3% for my game.

It is a little depressing though from the fact that T-machine's is far more difficult to implement.

Kylotan is absolutely correct. 

IMHO, it is very hard for ECS to reach 30,000 non-trivial entities (without multithread) while maintaining 60fps.

I was going to post some harsh criticism of the linked T-Machine article, but (along with the previous, well known series) it speaks for itself: figuring out what's wrong is a valuable learning experience that everyone deserves to make.

Just to point out the biggest problem, if components aren't the same size they cannot be stored in the same "megaarray", and if they are the same size they are wasting memory (if padded) and/or coherent access (if the array contains homogeneous "handles" of data stored elsewhere); there must be a good reason to do that.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

The biggest problem can be (arguably) solved by using assemblage.      https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/58693/grouping-entities-of-the-same-component-set-into-linear-memory/58701#58701

However, this approach introduces a lot of inherent disadvantages :

• Micro memory management is needed
  • harder to code
  • hard to remove component
  • lose some data locality of the same components
  • pooling is less efficient at entity level
  • entity type must be established before create it.

I believed the most tempting performance advantage might be that every query inside a certain entity is very fast.      However, my profiling result suggest that I was wrong again.

Oh, I used ~2 weeks to appreciate and believe this fact  (sad face)

8 hours ago, hyyou said:

A proliferation of arrays of different aggregates of components is the opposite of a single array of heterogeneous components. Which of the two flawed approaches have you tried?

Imposing arbitrary constraints (for example, that components of entities that have a different set of components should be segregated) and then suffering the consequences (that entities cannot gain or lose components, at least in a neat way, that visiting all components of a certain type is inefficient because of noncontiguous layout and complicated due to multiple arrays, etc.) without thinking of more sophisticated techniques is a typical stylistic trait of the T-Machine blog posts.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Which of the two flawed approaches have you tried?

In my flawed prototype, I mixed both of them.

Every entity is stored in a single array.  Each and every entity must use less than 1024 bytes.

In the stress test, I reserved it [Entity 1st=1024 bytes][2nd=1024]....[1024] = 30,000 contiguous block.

Ex. In some bad cases, it can be :-

• Entity 1st= [Position  8 bytes][Velocity  16 bytes][ waste 1010 bytes ]
  • Entity 2st= [GraphicHuge 524 bytes][Position 8 bytes][ waste 492 bytes ]  ....

There are some ways to optimize it (e.g. buddy allocator), but in nutshell, it is like that.

For the record, after optimizing my own ECS I can say the following:

Most performance can be gained not by how you layout components, but how by optimizing iterations. For example, if you want to iterate over physics + position at some point:

for(auto& entity : entities.WithComponents<Position, Physics>())
{
}

A primitive approach might build a dynamic list by checking all entities, (=vector), return ths & then iterate over it again.
A better solution might involve iterators to save on the dynamic allocations.
An even better solution involves building the set of entities with those components on the first call, and then just invalidate or update this cached set whenever entities are modified.

This step gave the most performance in my case, and should be pretty mandatory of you want to handle 30000 entities, which will likely have vastly different sets of components.

Storing the components in a contingous array actually reduced the performance at first, as some have mentioned, due to the overhead of accessing them from different places. What I actually ended up doing was putting the pointers to the components inside my cache-set to, using a templated-solution to generate a cache-structure like this

struct Cache // "generated" by template
{
	std::vector<std::tuple<Position*, Physics*>> components;  
}

The components itself are stored in a contingous array, and put into this cache. Which is, I believe, the fasted you can get when iterating over distinct sets of components, as the this cache-array is as tighly packed as possible under those circumstances, and works with the least . Note that the actual implementation is really complicated, especially the part about updating the cache (since I didn't want to rebuild it on every change), but the results sure paid off in terms of performance. I don't have the exact figures, but all optimizations together were about 40% decrease in frametime for a testset of 10000 entities with animation/static sprites & collision.

You should decide for yourself if its worth the trouble, as others have said, getting the system to be useable should be the priority. Though if done right, you can apply all those optimizations in the background w/o affecting the systems interface, so once you see a need you can still resort to optimizing.

@Juliean

Thank!  It is consistent with the profiler result.

I always thought that the profile result is wrong, because I use stack-allocator to allocate this as return result :-

entities.WithComponents<Position>()

Copying array shouldn't very expensive, right?   I was wrong.

Thank a lot, Juliean!!!   If you didn't say it explicitly, I will ignore it .... perhaps forever.    :)  :)  :) 

9 hours ago, hyyou said:

That's just another rewording of the unwieldy T-Machine stuff, and the answers below it tell you all you need to know:

• "The architecture was more of a pain in the butt than naive object systems and had no measurable performance advantages over some of the more flexible designs I compared it to."
  • " What you've done is re-engineered C++ objects. The reason why this feels obvious is that if you replace the word "entity" with "class" and "component" with "member" this is a standard OOP design using mixins."

There's no silver bullet that will let you handle 30,000 heterogeneous entities without compromises. If a large number of those entities are homogeneous then you might be able to smash those, or the 'hot' data in them, into some contiguous arrays and see some significant benefit. But in the general case, what you want to do isn't really doable.

Remember there are simpler ways to get some cache-coherence benefits - store important properties inline instead of via pointers, move lesser-accessed data outside of the entities so that the 'hot' data is stored more compactly, allocate things from pools instead of via naive `new` calls, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement