• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Mavericky
      Get the code HERE.
      This project is a nod to those 1990 pocket games that were all the rage in the day. The eTamagotchi features P2P networking showcasing how you can have a single application be both the client and the server at runtime. It features a random digimon (digital monster) that keeps track of all battles it has. The code is meant for demonstration and learning purposes only. The README lists each point that can be improved upon including gameplay mechanics.

• By crmbzy
      I'm using artemis-odb for my prototype. I have managed to get the "KryoArtemisSerializer" to work and serialize my world (or just a few selected entities). I now want to transmit this data to another peer (I am doing this with Kryonet). The de-serialize is working, the only problem I ran into is, that I can't seem to tell the "WorldSerializationManager" to update my entities instead of always creating them.
      I use
      world.getSystem(WorldSerializationManager.class).load(inputstream, SaveFileFormat.class); to load the data from my byte input stream that was created by Kryo. Is there another way to de-serialize the entities and process them manually?!
      Any insights highly appreciated!!
    • By EddieK
      Hi, so I'm trying to pack 4 color values into a single 32-bit float but I'm having some issues. The resulting color values which I am getting are not correct. What could be wrong here?
      This is the part of code where I pack the 4 bytes into a single float in Java
      byte [] colorBytes = new byte[4]; colorBytes[0] = (byte)(color.x*256); colorBytes[1] = (byte)(color.y*256); colorBytes[2] = (byte)(color.z*256); colorBytes[3] = (byte)(color.w*256); vertexManager.appendVertexColorData(ByteBuffer.wrap(colorBytes).order(ByteOrder.LITTLE_ENDIAN).getFloat()); I also tried this:
      bitSh.x = 1.0f/(256.0f*256.0f*256.0f); bitSh.y = 1.0f/(256.0f*256.0f); bitSh.z = 1.0f/(256.0f); bitSh.w = 1.0f; color.x = object.vertexColorData[i*4+0]*r; color.y = object.vertexColorData[i*4+1]*g; color.z = object.vertexColorData[i*4+2]*b; color.w = object.vertexColorData[i*4+3]*a; vertexManager.appendVertexColorData(color.dot(bitSh)); But it didn't work either, though it gave me different results, both are incorrect.
      This is the vertex shader:
      uniform mat4 MVPMatrix; // model-view-projection matrix attribute vec4 position; attribute vec2 textureCoords; attribute float color; varying vec4 outColor; varying vec2 outTexCoords; const vec4 bitSh = vec4(256.0*256.0*256.0, 256.0*256.0, 256.0, 1.0); const vec4 bitMsk = vec4(0.0, 1.0/256.0, 1.0/256.0, 1.0/256.0); vec4 unpack_float(const float value) { vec4 res = fract(value * bitSh); res -= res.xxyz * bitMsk; return res; } void main() { outTexCoords = textureCoords; outColor = unpack_float(color); gl_Position = MVPMatrix * position; }  
      And this is the fragment shader:
      precision lowp float; uniform sampler2D texture; varying vec4 outColor; varying vec2 outTexCoords; varying vec3 outNormal; void main() { gl_FragColor = texture2D(texture, outTexCoords) * outColor; }  
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Jamal Williams
      Hello, my name is Jamal and I've been interested in programming video games for a long time. I've attempted to make games in the past however, they never really got far or at least close enough to them being released. This is mainly because I was biting off more than I could chew. I know that before I ask this question, many people are going to discourage me from making an MMO. Please save those comments because I know exactly how hard it is to make an MMO. Which is why I am starting off small and then working towards making my game greater.
      Anyhow, I plan on releasing a 2D Java game that is going to be hosted on my websites server. I wanted to make the game multiplayer(obviously) but I also wanted to make a system in which the player would log-in and then be able to access their characters in their account and play the story. I'm recently learning about sockets however, I was wondering if anyone had a method or even the slightest idea of how to save a player's information so that it could be loaded back into the game?
      I already have an idea where whenever the player logs in, you create a new initiate of a Player Object and then pass certain variables through. For example, the player logs in from one GameState and then goes into another GameState in which the Player() is called. When the Player() is called, it passes these values and these values tell the game where the player needs to be, etc.
      public class Player { String name; String race; int attack; int defense; public Player(String name, String race, int attack, int defense) { this.name = name; this.race = race; this.attack = attack; this.defense = defense; //etc } } I could always store these values into a SQL database so that way whenever the player logs in, I can just pull these values from there however, I was wondering if there was a better method for saving the player's data. Any thoughts?
    • By EddieK
      Hi, so I have this game which I'm working on and I have implemented A* pathfinding algorithm, but the problem is that the game framerate drops significantly if there are more than 50-100 enemies which need to find path to player.
      I did some code analyzing and noticed that the part which takes longest to process is part where it searches for node with the lowest F score. Is there anyway I could speed the process up?
      Here's the code I'm using:
      public ArrayList<Node> getPath(Node start, Node end){ closedSet.clear(); openSet.clear(); openSet.add(start); cameFrom.clear(); start.gScore = 0; start.fScore = heuristicCostEstimate(start, end); while(openSet.size() > 0){ Node currentNode = lowestFScoreNode(openSet);//openSet.findLowestFScoreNode(); if(currentNode.equals(end)){ return reconstructPath(cameFrom, currentNode); } openSet.remove(currentNode); closedSet.add(currentNode); Node [] neighbours = getNeighbours(currentNode); for(int i = 0; i < neighboursCount; i++){ if(closedSet.contains(neighbours[i])) continue; openSet.add(neighbours[i]); float tentativeGScore = currentNode.gScore + heuristicCostEstimate(start, neighbours[i]); if(tentativeGScore >= neighbours[i].gScore) continue; cameFrom.put(neighbours[i], currentNode); neighbours[i].gScore = tentativeGScore; neighbours[i].fScore = neighbours[i].gScore + heuristicCostEstimate(neighbours[i], end); } } return null; } The lowestFScore node function just returns result of Collections.min() 
      Thanks in advance.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Java Algorithms for simulation

Im trying to create a simple " give order to Sprite, make Sprite do thing" game much like rimworld or oxygen not included.

So far I have two controllers type objects, on for the player and one for each Sprite. When a Sprite is selected, the player controller takes a reference of the Sprite and sets a Boolean variable hasMoveOrder to true when the player clicks on a spot.

My code right now is filled with if/else statements in order to get this to work. Once I add more work orders like digging, building, etc, a thousand if statements starts to get sloppy. The question is what kind of data structure or algorithms can I use to make this more efficient? Would an enumeration of the Sprite states be fine and just switch through them when the Sprite gets a new work order? Or would something more complex like a state machine make sense?

This is basically what we call "AI", and as such there are many different approaches you can take. At a minimum you'll want some sort of object to represent the current action or behaviour, such as moving, digging, building, etc. You might choose to do this with a state machine for each order, so that "dig at x,y" starts off in the "move to x,y" state and then, once close enough, transitions to the "dig here" state. That is probably the simplest representation and is good for getting started.