markshaw001

Gameplay making a terrain engine using C++ and opengl

markshaw001    0

Hi i am new to this forum  i wanted to ask for help from all of you i want to generate real time terrain using a 32 bit heightmap i am good at c++ and have started learning Opengl as i am very interested in making landscapes in opengl i have looked around the internet for help about this topic but i am not getting the hang of the concepts and what they are doing can some here suggests me some good resources for making terrain engine please for example like tutorials,books etc so that i can understand the whole concept of terrain generation.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RubenRS
      How do i open an image to use it as Texture2D information without D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile? And how it works for different formats like (JPG, PNG, BMP, DDS,  etc.)?
      I have an (512 x 512) image with font letters, also i have the position and texcoord of every letter. The main idea is that i want to obtain the image pixel info, use the position and texcoords to create a new texture with one letter and render it. Or am I wrong in something?
    • By rafael rodriguez
      Hello everyone! First if you are taking the time to read this "Thank You!" I'm new to programming (Java and C), and I would like to learn/practice more by making a Text-Based RPG. I have an idea in mind and I kinda started to code it in Java but I'm not sure how to put my bits of code together and would like some help. I'm not asking to make the game for me, but to guide me in the right direction... maybe some books, tutorials or even some one on one if you don't mind.
      The game I have in mind is going to contain:
      A player, world, leveling system, melee combat system(with some skills), monsters, inventory system, intractable objects(like a tree that you can cut down), item storage system, NPC's that interact maybe a store or something, and a saving and loading system.
      After that maybe I would like to add some more Non-Combat skills, a mage and range combat system along with some more skills, and make the world a bit larger with some interesting stuff in it...
      Anyways that's a lot so thank you for taking your time to read this, let me know if I can explain anything better or if I didn't explain something enough!
    • By MarcusAseth
      this is super strange...
      I have this function here:
      template<typename TFirst, typename... TArgs> bool util::LogConsole(const TFirst& first, const TArgs&... rest) { std::cout << first << " "; return LogConsole(rest...); } bool util::LogConsole() { std::cout << std::endl; return false; } it's recursive, keep printing "first" and recursively sending the rest, until rest is empty and the overload taking no argument is called, which just print a newline. Ignore the bool return.
      Anyway, now I have this code somewhere else:
      for (auto& E : Entities) { float valx = E->GetPosition().x;//return 751 float valy = E->GetPosition().y;//return 838 LogConsole(valx, valy); } Entities is a vector<unique_ptr<Entity>> which currently only contains the derived from Entity player Paddle, so I access the Base class Entity method called GetPosition, which is the center pivot coordinates of the object.
      I pass the variable to LogConsole which predictably prints:
      But not I try to call LogConsole without those 2 variables inbetween, like this:
      for (auto& E : Entities) { LogConsole(E->GetPosition().x, E->GetPosition().y); } and watch what kind of output I get! :
      ... the y value is an unreasonable value o_o
      How is this even possible?! Since only the second value is being affected, my assumption is that there is some weird interplay with the second template parameter, the variadic argument...but I wasn't able to debug it even stepping trough it line by line...can anyone come with an explanation for this really strange behaviour?
    • By MarcusAseth
      Maybe today I'm confused and I'm missing the obvious...
      I've made this simple struct inside my Utility.h 
      template<typename TFirst, typename TSecond> struct Pair { Pair(TFirst f, TSecond s):First{f},Second{s}{} TFirst First; TSecond Second; }; And I'm using it from App.h (which #include "Utility.h") like so:
      App.h
      Pair<Uint32, Uint32> GetWindowSize(); App.cpp
      Pair<Uint32, Uint32> App::GetWindowSize() { return Pair<Uint32, Uint32>(Width,Height); } And I'm getting a cascade of errors ALL on line 39 (image below).
      Any idea what I am doing wrong this time? x_x

EDIT: please mod delete this topic, I just remembered Utility.h put everything inside namespace util, sorry x_x
    • By noodleBowl
      I've gotten to part in my DirectX 11 project where I need to pass the MVP matrices to my vertex shader. And I'm a little lost when it comes to the use of the constant buffer with the vertex shader
      I understand I need to set up the constant buffer just like any other buffer:
      1. Create a buffer description with the D3D11_BIND_CONSTANT_BUFFER flag 2. Map my matrix data into the constant buffer 3. Use VSSetConstantBuffers to actually use the buffer But I get lost at the VertexShader part, how does my vertex shader know to use this constant buffer when we get to the shader side of things
      In the example I'm following I see they have this as their vertex shader, but I don't understand how the shader knows to use the MatrixBuffer cbuffer. They just use the members directly. What if there was multiple cbuffer declarations like the Microsoft documentation says you could have?
      //Inside vertex shader cbuffer MatrixBuffer { matrix worldMatrix; matrix viewMatrix; matrix projectionMatrix; }; struct VertexInputType { float4 position : POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; struct PixelInputType { float4 position : SV_POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; PixelInputType ColorVertexShader(VertexInputType input) { PixelInputType output; // Change the position vector to be 4 units for proper matrix calculations. input.position.w = 1.0f; // Calculate the position of the vertex against the world, view, and projection matrices. output.position = mul(input.position, worldMatrix); output.position = mul(output.position, viewMatrix); output.position = mul(output.position, projectionMatrix); // Store the input color for the pixel shader to use. output.color = input.color; return output; }  
  • Popular Now