• Advertisement
Writersface13

Coding vs Level Design

This topic is 474 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone! So I've been using Unity for the past few days and really like it (aside from the outdated tutorials). My goal is to become a level designer because I love the UI, but everyone needs to know a bit of coding, right? So my question is: How much time should I invest into learning coding? Should it overlap my level designing practice? If so, what kind of schedule should I construct to make it work? Should I not bother with coding at all? Thank you all for reading!

Advertisement

Well, when it comes to creating portfolios to become a level designer, what should my levels entail so that they're strong enough to get me a job? Just a pretty sight to look at? Or should they include a bit more?

But if you see coding skills as a winning ticket to immense wealth, you’re better off trying invest more time of studying it. 

It's not just about that though. Learning my way around the interface, make objects react a certain way; I kind of need this stuff to make a good level. But I don't know which one to start with

23 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

I kind of need this stuff to make a good level. But I don't know which one to start with

Which what? Please restate your question, given the helpful replies you've gotten to the previous wording of your question.

Focus on making levels. One of these days, Unity will be gone, or drastically different, just as many tools that came before it have either died or changed.

(Case in point: just look at how much has changed in Unity even in the last 2 months)

It doesn't matter. Just make the levels. Build your portfolio. Mastery will come with time and practice. C#, or whatever language is relevant at the time you start coding, if you decide to start coding, will be waiting for you by the time you're ready.

So just get started already! Go forth and be fruitful!

Edited by masskonfuzion

I think the catch may be that you've defined "levels" a bit too loosely.  Unity is not a game in itself, and as such doesn't have a concept of levels until you make a game that uses the environments you've created in that way.  Starting to add functionality to those scenarios you've put together in Unity means you're essentially making a game at that point.  If your primary goal is to create good looking environments, maybe what you really want to get into is 3d art, modelling, rigging, environments, etc.  If you enjoy taking existing existing assets and arranging them and hooking them up to get cool functionality, then maybe coding is the right way to go.  "Level design" is definitely a thing, but it encompasses not just placing art around, but also making use of the mechanics of the game/context the level exists in.  If that's the field you want to get into, maybe it would make more sense to do something like maps for Unreal Tournament or some other game that has available editing tools.  This way, you're still doing the same kind of thing, you don't need to code in the functionality, you'll have usable portfolio pieces, and a game context within which you can work on and demonstrate the non-art parts of level design.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!