• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

How to get foot pivots from navigation meshes?

This topic is 481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The navigation mesh I've built on the "staircase" geometry is an inclined ramp. When walking up, I need to find the foot pivot on the navigation mesh or the pure geometry. How do you guys know where the foot pivots are? Currently, I am just get the current foot position, add up an arbitrary value and the leg ik swings into action, and that's it....

I run out of ways to locate the foot pivot in the scene...

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Advertisement

For uneven terrain you could trace a ray from foot downwrads to predict contact point and normal and set end effector target from that.

For stairs this would lead to the behaviour of sometimes hitting a single step twice and sometimes skipping a step.

You could do multiple traces with small gaps along the path, analyze that data and plan your footsteps. (Pretty expensive but flexible, can also handle the case of player building a staircase from rigid body crates) You can also precompute one or multiple paths over a given staircaise and link this data to the navigation polygon to make it faster.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!