Started by
23 comments, last by tigral 6 years, 6 months ago

Id like your initial reaction. to the character and the motion

https://vimeo.com/230037888

Advertisement
2 hours ago, tyree said:

Id like your initial reaction. to the character and the motion

Disappointed.

I was expecting to see a character flip, instead I see a character teleporting between two bad poses.

Where you trying to make a animation that freezes, turns the camera and then plays again?

if you know anything about animation. you would know that is far more than two poses. if only two poses stand out. that is exactly how it should appear. it stops at the top because I havent finished the flip. from the height of it. to where it lands. the beginning is the more important part

First sorry for the late response.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, tyree said:

if you know anything about animation. you would know that is far more than two poses. if only two poses stand out.

A pose being a action on frame held for a time period longer than one frame, there are two poses in the animation. What you are thinking of is known as key frames.

Unless you mean you made lots of poses then used them to record each frame. In that case you should remember that you used a pose to make a key frame and that key frame is not a pose.

Some advice:

If you plan on being a animator you should mine criticism not discourage it. A person who criticizes your work believes it's worth criticizing, it's when they only say nice things that you should be concerned.

If I didn't want to see your animation when it was done, I would have just moved on ignoring it.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, tyree said:

it stops at the top because I havent finished the flip.

That is a bad idea, because the animation suddenly holds it draws focus, making it look like that part was the important part.

by keyframe you mean the inbetween. animation does not usually work without both. the main pose and the inbetween. this has both but also uses more than two poses.

one of the main reasons 3d is inferior to 2d. is the same reason, 1 person cant do the work of 30 people.  one object cant do the work 3d drawings. you should have noticed my motion is more lively than 3d usually is. that is not there by accident. someone that just started doing animation would not know that. and have no idea how to do something about it.

the pause at the top of the motion. will most likely still be there. but may be shorter. I may have the character change direction after the pause

in your second response I can see ther was no ill intent. thanks for the advise

3 hours ago, tyree said:

by keyframe you mean the inbetween

No those are called in-betweens.

Possess > Key frames > In-betweens. A pose is a held position that can be one frame or longer. A key frame is a held position that lasts one frame. A in-between is the filler frames between key frames, one or more key frame makes a pose.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

one of the main reasons 3d is inferior to 2d. is the same reason, 1 person cant do the work of 30 people.

This doesn't make sense. 3D and 2D animation are done they same way on modern computers, it was true that in the past 3D used a lot of puppeteering and 2D was hand drawn but that was decades ago. Modern software allows both 2D and 3D all the advantages of the other.

Using a PC in-betweens are drawn for you, either using vectors or by converting vectors to pixels.

I hope you are not making all the in-betweens by hand, that would take forever and the slight quality improvement isn't worth the time.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

someone that just started doing animation would not know that. and have no idea how to do something about it.

I am a 3D artist with a degree in animation, a online degree maybe not the best but still counts. I learned animation because a lot of people these days expect 3D modelers to also be able to animate.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

3d is inferior to 2d

The only way 3D is inferior to 2D is because all information needs to exist at all times.

Consider the old Anime characters, turning one into a 3D model is difficult  because there side view and front don't lineup. Modern Anime uses 3D bases for proportions and as a result have proportions that lineup well.

It sounds like you read the Animators survival kit and maybe a few of the older books. You can't just depend on the old knowledge or you will be left behind. Look into some modern animation also.

For 3D game animation this is a good place to start:

this has nothing to do with the computer or software. you have been able to do 3d animation in the vein of 2d animation. since, right after 3d was created. the problem is no one wants to do it because. its too time consuming. I know this because I was around when the first pc was introduced to the public.

I remember when 3d was actually created. it was used for architecture and special effects. years later it found its way to games.

I started using 3d programs with 3d max 3. I have been using different versions of 3d max ever since. I saw as every tool in 3d max and 3d in general was introduced. in max, I know how to use every tool there. trying to tell me anything about 3d is a waste of time. I know more because I have been doing it longer

what you said about not doing the inbetweens by hand. because it takes too long. what you dont realize. that is exactly where the art lives

I also went to school for computer animation. art institue I physically went there. this is before most colleges and universities adopted computer animation. art institue was a traditional art school long before they started teaching computer animation. all they did was take thier traditional courses and apply them to computer animation. only in the last 6 months of a 2 year course did we touch a computer.

why because the only reason art exist. is because its done by hand. the process used to make it and all the time it takes to make it. you remove any one of those and its impossible to get the same result

really it should be mandatory to learn 2d animation before considering 3d animation.

here is something you can do in your 3d program. draw a human like rough shape standing still using lines. in the front, side or left viewport. with no detail head, neck, body legs connected a single line. the arms should be the only lines seperate. now draw him walking forward. draw everything over again. do not copy the first drawing and move vertices. you must draw him over. dont worry about the fact that, it doesnt look exactly the same. keep drawing him walking. do this until you have 3 mintues of him walking.

why 3 mintues because you will get tired of doing the same walk over and over and you will change it. you may throw the arms up. you may make him skip. render each one of those poses alone put them together in whatever 2d program you will. and when you play it back. you will see and better understand why 2d animation is considered art.

I read the animator survival kit the year it came out. you wont find many people in animation that have not read it. I also read 3 other animation books but they were not in english

as far as 3d anime its horrible. watch the 2d version of anime. then a 3d version of the same show. the 3d version is always less than

as far as me being left behind. I have taught 3d modeling, animation and programming specifically for games at a university. I may get lucky and be alright  

13 minutes ago, tyree said:

trying to tell me anything about 3d is a waste of time. I know more because I have been doing it longer  

Well that seems just about as arrogant and incorrect of a statement as you can get. I work with a guy who has been doing the same job as me since I was about 4 years old, I still teach him new ways to do things because things are always evolving, and new ways / better ways to do things are being created.

just because something is new to you. doesnt mean its new to me. you would be surprised how many plugins or stand alone progams. take an action you can already do in 3d. and present it as something new

same motion with subtle changes

flip test 3
https://vimeo.com/231181694

I'll be honest. I don't see a "flip" when I watch those videos. I see a character running around, and every now and then having fits that look like skeletal skinning glitches. Just to be safe, I watched both videos again, and I still can't see a flip. At one point she freezes in the act of mooning me in midair, one butt cheek quivering strangely, and I think to myself, "wait, maybe that's the flip?" But then she teleports to another flop pose, and the momentary illusion of something flip-like is gone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement