• Advertisement

Advertisement
2 hours ago, tyree said:

Id like your initial reaction. to the character and the motion

Disappointed.

I was expecting to see a character flip, instead I see a character teleporting between two bad poses.

Where you trying to make a animation that freezes, turns the camera and then plays again?

if you know anything about animation. you would know that is far more than two poses. if only two poses stand out. that is exactly how it should appear. it stops at the top because I havent finished the flip. from the height of it. to where it lands. the beginning is the more important part

Edited by tyree

First sorry for the late response.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, tyree said:

if you know anything about animation. you would know that is far more than two poses. if only two poses stand out.

A pose being a action on frame held for a time period longer than one frame, there are two poses in the animation. What you are thinking of is known as key frames.

Unless you mean you made lots of poses then used them to record each frame. In that case you should remember that you used a pose to make a key frame and that key frame is not a pose.

Some advice:

If you plan on being a animator you should mine criticism not discourage it. A person who criticizes your work believes it's worth criticizing, it's when they only say nice things that you should be concerned.

If I didn't want to see your animation when it was done, I would have just moved on ignoring it.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, tyree said:

it stops at the top because I havent finished the flip.

That is a bad idea, because the animation suddenly holds it draws focus, making it look like that part was the important part.

by keyframe you mean the inbetween. animation does not usually work without both. the main pose and the inbetween. this has both but also uses more than two poses.

one of the main reasons 3d is inferior to 2d. is the same reason, 1 person cant do the work of 30 people.  one object cant do the work 3d drawings. you should have noticed my motion is more lively than 3d usually is. that is not there by accident. someone that just started doing animation would not know that. and have no idea how to do something about it.

the pause at the top of the motion. will most likely still be there. but may be shorter. I may have the character change direction after the pause

in your second response I can see ther was no ill intent. thanks for the advise

3 hours ago, tyree said:

by keyframe you mean the inbetween

No those are called in-betweens.

Possess > Key frames > In-betweens. A pose is a held position that can be one frame or longer. A key frame is a held position that lasts one frame. A in-between is the filler frames between key frames, one or more key frame makes a pose.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

one of the main reasons 3d is inferior to 2d. is the same reason, 1 person cant do the work of 30 people.

This doesn't make sense. 3D and 2D animation are done they same way on modern computers, it was true that in the past 3D used a lot of puppeteering and 2D was hand drawn but that was decades ago. Modern software allows both 2D and 3D all the advantages of the other.

Using a PC in-betweens are drawn for you, either using vectors or by converting vectors to pixels.

I hope you are not making all the in-betweens by hand, that would take forever and the slight quality improvement isn't worth the time.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

someone that just started doing animation would not know that. and have no idea how to do something about it.

I am a 3D artist with a degree in animation, a online degree maybe not the best but still counts. I learned animation because a lot of people these days expect 3D modelers to also be able to animate.

3 hours ago, tyree said:

3d is inferior to 2d

The only way 3D is inferior to 2D is because all information needs to exist at all times.

Consider the old Anime characters, turning one into a 3D model is difficult  because there side view and front don't lineup. Modern Anime uses 3D bases for proportions and as a result have proportions that lineup well.

It sounds like you read the Animators survival kit and maybe a few of the older books. You can't just depend on the old knowledge or you will be left behind. Look into some modern animation also.

For 3D game animation this is a good place to start:

this has nothing to do with the computer or software. you have been able to do 3d animation in the vein of 2d animation. since, right after 3d was created. the problem is no one wants to do it because. its too time consuming. I know this because I was around when the first pc was introduced to the public.

I remember when 3d was actually created. it was used for architecture and special effects. years later it found its way to games.

I started using 3d programs with 3d max 3. I have been using different versions of 3d max ever since. I saw as every tool in 3d max and 3d in general was introduced. in max, I know how to use every tool there. trying to tell me anything about 3d is a waste of time. I know more because I have been doing it longer

what you said about not doing the inbetweens by hand. because it takes too long. what you dont realize. that is exactly where the art lives

I also went to school for computer animation. art institue I physically went there. this is before most colleges and universities adopted computer animation. art institue was a traditional art school long before they started teaching computer animation. all they did was take thier traditional courses and apply them to computer animation. only in the last 6 months of a 2 year course did we touch a computer.

why because the only reason art exist. is because its done by hand. the process used to make it and all the time it takes to make it. you remove any one of those and its impossible to get the same result

really it should be mandatory to learn 2d animation before considering 3d animation.

here is something you can do in your 3d program. draw a human like rough shape standing still using lines. in the front, side or left viewport. with no detail head, neck, body legs connected a single line. the arms should be the only lines seperate. now draw him walking forward. draw everything over again. do not copy the first drawing and move vertices. you must draw him over. dont worry about the fact that, it doesnt look exactly the same. keep drawing him walking. do this until you have 3 mintues of him walking.

why 3 mintues because you will get tired of doing the same walk over and over and you will change it. you may throw the arms up. you may make him skip. render each one of those poses alone put them together in whatever 2d program you will. and when you play it back. you will see and better understand why 2d animation is considered art.

I read the animator survival kit the year it came out. you wont find many people in animation that have not read it. I also read 3 other animation books but they were not in english

as far as 3d anime its horrible. watch the 2d version of anime. then a 3d version of the same show. the 3d version is always less than

as far as me being left behind. I have taught 3d modeling, animation and programming specifically for games at a university. I may get lucky and be alright  

13 minutes ago, tyree said:

trying to tell me anything about 3d is a waste of time. I know more because I have been doing it longer  

Well that seems just about as arrogant and incorrect of a statement as you can get. I work with a guy who has been doing the same job as me since I was about 4 years old, I still teach him new ways to do things because things are always evolving, and new ways / better ways to do things are being created.

just because something is new to you. doesnt mean its new to me. you would be surprised how many plugins or stand alone progams. take an action you can already do in 3d. and present it as something new

same motion with subtle changes

flip test 3
https://vimeo.com/231181694

I'll be honest. I don't see a "flip" when I watch those videos. I see a character running around, and every now and then having fits that look like skeletal skinning glitches. Just to be safe, I watched both videos again, and I still can't see a flip. At one point she freezes in the act of mooning me in midair, one butt cheek quivering strangely, and I think to myself, "wait, maybe that's the flip?" But then she teleports to another flop pose, and the momentary illusion of something flip-like is gone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By davejones
      Is there a way to automatically change the start position of an animation? I have a bunch of animations set up on 3D models in unity. The issue is that I need to move the 3D models, however when I do so the animation start positions are not updated and I have to do it manually.

Changing the transform of key frames is time consuming with the amount of animations I have, so I was wondering if there was a way to do it automatically?
    • By MelonCollie
      Hi Everyone,

My name is Bob Pepek, I'm an audio post production engineer for film / TV. I'm looking to try my hand at Game Audio. Did you know that great sound design is rarely ever noticed but is always felt by an audience? That's where I can help.
      I've worked as the dialogue editor and sound designer for Sprout / NBC's Saturday morning cartoon Astroblast. I sound design for the web-series Channelate (hosted by Explosm / Cyanide and Happiness). Though most notably work as the go-to sound designer for the hundreds of the LEGO Star Wars / Marvel / Ninjago product animations and mini-movies.

My past sound design clients include NBC, ESPN, LucasArts, LEGO, Sprout Network, Disney, Sci-Fi Network, Walmart,  Sesame Street, The list goes on and on! Below I've included a link to my demo reel as well as other projects I have done sound design for:

Sound Design Reel
      https://vimeo.com/214093302

Other Work (Channelate, Explainer Vids, Ads)
      meloncollieproductions.com/work/

360 Sound Designs (LEGO Star Wars / Avengers: Infinity War)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gdss2fANPQ
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7Leyaq780
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzPu_tw6eY

Recent Film Work:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFXobIMAgM
      https://vimeo.com/273203490
      https://vimeo.com/229448486

If you're looking for a sound designer I'd love to help out! Feel free to reach out at bobpepek@gmail.com. 

Cheers,
      Bob
    • By INTwindwolf
      COMPANY AND THE PROJECT
      We are an indie game studio consisted of professional and skilled artists who are dedicated indie enthusiasts. Our current project is INT, developed on Unity Engine 5 for platforms Windows, Linux, and Mac. We are recruiting a few more members on the team to finalize our playable demo.

INT is a 3D Sci-fi RPG with a strong emphasis on story, role playing, and innovative RPG features such as randomized companions. The focus is on the journey through a war-torn world with fast-paced combat against hordes of enemies. The player must accomplish quests like a traditional RPG, complete objectives, and meet lively crew members who will aid in the player's survival. Throughout the game you can side and complete missions through criminal cartels, and the two major combatants, the UCE and ACP, of the Interstellar Civil War.
      Please note that all of our current positions are remote work. You will not be required to travel.
      For more information about us, follow the links listed below.
      INT Official website
      Steam Greenlight
      IndieDB page
      Also follow social media platforms for the latest news regarding our projects.
      Facebook
      Twitter

3D ANIMATOR
      We are looking for an Animator to join the Art team to rig characters and create animations for the game. You will be collaborating with fellow members of the team in the creation and polishing of 3D animations.
      Your tasks will include:
      Create rigs to be used for animations. Skin 3D models to rigs. Refine existing 3D animations. Contribute to constructive team discussions. Attend regular team meetings.  

REQUIREMENTS
      To be successful in this position, following requirements apply:
      Have working knowledge of 3D animation suites. Understand import/export requirements for Unity Engine integration. Excellent self-management skills. Excellent attention to detail. Excellent communication skills. Satisfaction of the follow requirements are preferred, but not essential:
      Knowledge of the Unity Engine UMA character creation system would be an advantage.  
      REVENUE - SHARE
      This is the perfect opportunity to get into the game development industry. We have the majority of our art assets completed and are marching towards our crowd-funding campaign, currently planned for mid 2018.
      We are unable to offer wages or per-item payments at this time. However revenue-sharing from crowd-funding is offered to team members who contribute 15-20 hours per week to company projects, as well as maintain constant communication and adhere to deadlines. Your understanding is dearly appreciated.

TO APPLY
      Please send your Cover Letter, CV, Portfolio (if applicable), and other relevant documents/information to this email: JohnHR@int-game.net
      Thank you for your time! Please feel free to contact me via the email provided should you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you!
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By Aggrojag
      Hello!
      I'm working on a game that is a narrative driven dark comedy with some small aspects of platforming and puzzle solving. The project is rather small as well. It touches on topics such as suicide, mental illness, family, corruption, free-will, and redemption.
      This project is exercise in polish, this means some experimentation will be needed along with some reworking of assets as they're provided.
      This will be a revshare model.
      First, I'm looking for a 2D sprite artist, not pixelated, that can compliment the style of the attached images, and be similar to the temporary character.
      I'm also looking for a male voice actor, English should be your primary language. There will be at minimum two characters that will need to be brought to life through vocals. The first voice is similar to Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A reference for the second voice would be a mix of Ren (Ren & Stimpy), and Android 21 (DragonBallFighterZ). Due to formatting, I'm not including YouTube links in the post, sorry.
      WIP Scene with our custom shaders attached (platforms are lazily placed, as this was an asset test):

A scene with dynamic lighting and temp character:

Unshaded asset:

If you made it to the bottom, thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    • By Paszq
      Group photo of some of the characters and creatures currently living in Arpago
    • By Hanna Habela
      Hi,
      Check it out: habela.github.io
      ok, don't know if it is that "cool" or that "unique"... but supposedly being self-confident and brag yourself is a way to go hmm...don't know
      Anyway, tell me guys what do you think about my site and art in it as well.
      Btw: Say nicely "hi" or "hello" to me coz I'm new here (not so new to game art, as I'm doing it for some time now and more than 2 years as freelancer)

• By Uzma Inaya
      I am trying to oscillate a 2D object about a point, while the object has already been drawn then later I want to oscillate it by specifying the pivot point, how to proceed, please help me.It is for a mini project.I am using codeblocks and using c programing language along with OpenGL to do this, I have attached main .c file and .cpb file below (For reference I have attached the code for that object also below .) I have attached a .png file as what is my 2D image looks like.I want to oscillate that image about its top point(i.e cap tip).
      #include <GL/glut.h> #include <math.h> #define PI 3.14159265358979324 void myinit() { glClearColor(1.0,1.0,1.0,0.0); glMatrixMode (GL_PROJECTION); gluOrtho2D(0.0, 200.0, 0.0, 150.0); //glutPostRedisplay(); } void display(void) { float r3 = 4.0; // Radius of circle. float x3 = 80.0; // X-coordinate of center of circle. float y3 = 67.0; float r1 = 1.0; // Radius of circle. float x1 = 77.0; // X-coordinate of center of circle. float y1 = 73.0; float r2 = 1.0; // Radius of circle. float x2 = 83.0; // X-coordinate of center of circle. float y2 = 73.0; float R = 3.0; // Radius of circle. float X = 80.0; // X-coordinate of center of circle. float Y = 103.0; // Y-coordinate of center of circle. int numVertices = 25; // Number of vertices on circle. float t = 0; // Angle parameter. int i; glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); //glColor3f(0.5, 0.5, 0.5); glLineWidth(2.0); glEnable(GL_LINE_STIPPLE); //glLineStipple(1,0x00ff); //draw a line glBegin(GL_LINES); glColor3f(0.92, 0.78, 0.62); glVertex2f(80.0,60.0); glVertex2f(90.0,65.0); glVertex2f(90.0,65.0); glVertex2f(90.0,75.0); glColor3f(0.137255, 0.556863, 0.137255);//0.0, 0.5, 0.0); glVertex2f(90.0,75.0); glVertex2f(80.0,80.0); glVertex2f(80.0,80.0); glVertex2f(70.0,75.0); glColor3f(0.92, 0.78, 0.62); glVertex2f(70.0,75.0); glVertex2f(70.0,65.0); glVertex2f(70.0,65.0); glVertex2f(80.0,60.0); glColor3f( 0.137255, 0.556863, 0.137255); glVertex2f(90.0,75.0); glVertex2f(80.0,100.0); glVertex2f(80.0,100.0); glVertex2f(70.0,75.0); glEnd(); glFlush(); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glColor3f(0.1, 0.9, 0.0); for(int i = 0; i < numVertices; ++i) { //glColor3ub(rand()%256, rand()%256, rand()%256); glVertex3f(X + R * cos(t), Y + R * sin(t), 0.0); t += 2 * PI / numVertices; } glEnd(); glFlush(); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glColor3f(0.647059, 0.164706, 0.164706); for(int i = 0; i < numVertices; ++i) { glVertex3f(x1 + r1 * cos(t), y1 + r1 * sin(t), 0.0); t += 2 * PI / numVertices; } glEnd(); glFlush(); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glColor3f(0.647059, 0.164706, 0.164706); for(int i = 0; i < numVertices; ++i) { glVertex3f(x2 + r2 * cos(t), y2 + r2 * sin(t), 0.0); t += 2 * PI / numVertices; } glEnd(); glFlush(); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glColor3f(1.0, 0.7, 0.0); for(int i = 0; i < numVertices; ++i) { glVertex3f(x3 + r3 * cos(t), y3 + r3 * sin(t), 0.0); t += - PI / numVertices; } glEnd(); glFlush(); } void main(int argc,char *argv[]) { glutInit(&argc,argv); glutInitDisplayMode (GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGB); glutInitWindowSize (1000, 1000); glutInitWindowPosition (0, 0); glutCreateWindow ("joker"); myinit(); glutDisplayFunc(display); glutMainLoop(); }  

thanks in advance, please help me
      joker.cbp
      main.c

• By INTwindwolf
      COMPANY AND THE PROJECT
      We are an indie game studio consisted of professional and skilled artists who are dedicated indie enthusiasts. Our current project is INT, developed on Unity Engine 5 for platforms Windows, Linux, and Mac. We are recruiting a few more members on the team to finalize our playable demo.

INT is a 3D Sci-fi RPG with a strong emphasis on story, role playing, and innovative RPG features such as randomized companions. The focus is on the journey through a war-torn world with fast-paced combat against hordes of enemies. The player must accomplish quests like a traditional RPG, complete objectives, and meet lively crew members who will aid in the player's survival. Throughout the game you can side and complete missions through criminal cartels, and the two major combatants, the UCE and ACP, of the Interstellar Civil War.
      Please note that all of our current positions are remote work. You will not be required to travel.
      For more information about us, follow the links listed below.
      INT Official website
      Steam Greenlight
      IndieDB page
      Also follow social media platforms for the latest news regarding our projects.
      Facebook
      Twitter

3D ANIMATOR
      We are looking for an Animator to join the Art team to rig characters and create animations for the game. You will be collaborating with fellow members of the team in the creation and polishing of 3D animations.
      Your tasks will include:
      Create rigs to be used for animations. Skin 3D models to rigs. Refine existing 3D animations. Contribute to constructive team discussions. Attend regular team meetings.  

REQUIREMENTS
      To be successful in this position, following requirements apply:
      Have working knowledge of 3D animation suites. Understand import/export requirements for Unity Engine integration. Excellent self-management skills. Excellent attention to detail. Excellent communication skills. Satisfaction of the follow requirements are preferred, but not essential:
      Knowledge of the Unity Engine UMA character creation system would be an advantage.  
      REVENUE - SHARE
      This is the perfect opportunity to get into the game development industry. We have the majority of our art assets completed and are marching towards our crowd-funding campaign, currently planned for mid 2018.
      We are unable to offer wages or per-item payments at this time. However revenue-sharing from crowd-funding is offered to team members who contribute 15-20 hours per week to company projects, as well as maintain constant communication and adhere to deadlines. Your understanding is dearly appreciated.

TO APPLY
      Please send your Cover Letter, CV, Portfolio (if applicable), and other relevant documents/information to this email: JohnHR@int-game.net
      Thank you for your time! Please feel free to contact me via the email provided should you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you!
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By Kjell Andersson
      Spectral rendering enters the computer graphics world. After a period with not that many feature improvements, Dual Heights Software have now finally released a new major version of their water texture generator software called Caustics Generator. The new version includes full spectrum color rendering allowing the simulation of spectral refraction which produces prismatic coloring effects and thus bringing caustics simulation to a new level. The spectral functionality is available in the Pro version on both Windows, Mac and Linux.
      Read more about the Caustics Generator at https://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

View full story
    • By Kjell Andersson
      Spectral rendering enters the computer graphics world. After a period with not that many feature improvements, Dual Heights Software have now finally released a new major version of their water texture generator software called Caustics Generator. The new version includes full spectrum color rendering allowing the simulation of spectral refraction which produces prismatic coloring effects and thus bringing caustics simulation to a new level. The spectral functionality is available in the Pro version on both Windows, Mac and Linux.
      Read more about the Caustics Generator at https://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!