Remote visual debugger: asdbg

Started by
6 comments, last by gjl 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey all! Thought I'd make a thread here about the tool I've been working on for the last few days: asdbg.

It's a remote debugger (as in it uses 127.0.0.1 for IPC for the moment) with a visual code view.

Screenshot.png.c1e780a778ff2ed41fad0e6aeddbfdf7.png

It's not much and probably not really usable for any serious project right now, but I'm hoping to some day get it there and use this for debugging our game (and future ones :)).

It consists out of 2 parts, the host implementation code and the UI, so in theory it should be possible to implement the UI in something other than Windows (this is currently in C# WinForms, so it's Windows only for the time being).

Feedback is always welcome!

Advertisement

Nice work. I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

I hope others take interest too and perhaps contribute.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This looks very nice! Have you made any progress since the original post?

Unfortunately not, I haven't gotten much time to work on it lately. I was also facing some strange issues when trying to use this in our game so it's definitely still not perfect either. Lots of work to be done on this, but it's a start!

Little update on this, I've decided to continue working on this a bit.

A few new features, as you can now see breakpoints at the bottom as well as the callstack.

It's not super stable yet, but I did get it running on our game. (We were setting the asEP_BUILD_WITHOUT_LINE_CUES property for performance, which messed up a few things. asdbg will now warn you when this property is set.)

Screenshot.png.957a7e8ca4de2117df6604f7c3475da8.png

It's shaping up nicely. Well done.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Nice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement