• Advertisement
Acharis

Warfare goals in space 4X

Before we start, let's us all UNLEARN everything we know about 4X :) It does not have to be muliplayer, it does not have to be symmetric, it does not need to be balanced, it does not even need to have other entities than the player (like player vs environment). Basically free yourself from all/most of traditional restrictions :) Also feel free to assume any settings, game rules, mood, etc.

The question is how to make warfare goals in space 4X? Typically there is only one goal, use fleets to conquer or defend own planets. So, basically everything revolves around planets. It results in the "take over all planets" goal, which is kind of unfun in many cases :)

So, I was thinking on other approaches to space warfare goals. Maybe something like "you need to defeat enemy fleet to show them who is the boss and therefore get a tribute from them", or maybe like "there is a pirates threat and you pursue to destroy their bases (without taking their planets) to assure safety of own trade routes/planets", something along those lines. Or maybe something completely different.

Advertisement

How is travel achieved in your setting?  Is there FTL, or 'jump gates', or just traditional (but presumably very fast) travel?

A goal might be to control/block/open whatever constitutes means of travel -- holding gates, or blocking choke points, creating choke points by blocking open space, etc.  Maybe to secure your own ability to travel, or perhaps to restrict the travel of others (pirates, your own subjects, whatever).

Similarly, perhaps the goal is to control or defend non-planetary resources.  Perhaps asteroid belts, nebulae, etc. are valuable because they're easier to exploit than the materials found on planets.  Perhaps pirates or rogue groups try to gain access to these resources and undermine your rule, or segments of your own citizenry can't be trusted.  Maybe you need to balance this with more traditional goals - is it more valuable to keep the asteroids being used to build a new fleet, or to keep hold of a planet that's under attack?

Whatever goals are added should provide interesting choices for the player.

12 minutes ago, jbadams said:

How is travel achieved in your setting?  Is there FTL, or 'jump gates', or just traditional (but presumably very fast) travel?

A goal might be to control/block/open whatever constitutes means of travel -- holding gates, or blocking choke points, creating choke points by blocking open space, etc.  Maybe to secure your own ability to travel, or perhaps to restrict the travel of others (pirates, your own subjects, whatever).

Whichever you prefer. It's just a discussion and I wanted to try to find new ways to implement it rather to include it in my game right away :) Personally I prefer starlanes mechanic since it provides natural chokepoints. Anyway, assume whichever you like.

BTW, it was interestingly done in Chapter Master. Technically you owned all/most planets you see on the map, but most of them were infested by various aliens so you were jumping around trying to subdue infestation on your planets. The nice thing was that you controled the same number of planets in the late game as in the early game. But it had no "borders" since those alien infestations were almost everywhere.

I imagine there would be similar strategic goals to regular warfare.

For an attacker at the most basic level there are three options:  Annihilation so they're completely defeated, attrition so they lose enough things they get worn down enough to do what they wanted, and exhaustion like blockades until they eventually submit.  A defender has an additional option of survival by attrition, keep on not losing until eventually the other side is sufficiently worn out and stops spending resources on the war.

Games usually focus on direct annihilation or large battles in the hope of attrition.  Some strategy games may use that for a while, although I think it is mostly a tool to hold one player back while the opponent amasses an army sufficient for annihilation.

As for specific objectives, I think they lead to basically the same premise.

* Capture and return, with resources, information, prototypes, key people, and whatever else. Could be accomplished through secrecy and espionage, or a full-on attack team.  The "capture" could instead be leaving something behind, or stealing/growing/harvesting resources and bringing them back.  Get in, do something, get out.

* Capture and hold, often with key infrastructure.  Again you could fight your way in, or slip in unnoticed. Get in, stay in until others arrive.

* Search and destroy, often with key resources, infrastructure, and key people.  Similarly as above, can be covert.  Get in, sufficiently break stuff.

* Blockade, prevent infiltration. 

I don't think anything fundamentally changes with a "revolves around planets" game style.

In real life, interplanetary and interstellar warfare probably won't be about what happens on the ground.  The biggest thing is getting stuff from one planet to another planet, or intercepting things before they arrive.  If you've got enough power for rapid interstellar travel then you've got enough power to destroy a planet.  "Nuke it from orbit" is a viable strategy as far as we can see, and throwing a bunch of big space rocks could be enough.  A few small space rocks -- maybe the size of a house -- could level a small city.  Somewhat larger space rocks, maybe a few hundred feet around, could decimate a wide metro area.  An even larger space rock could be an event like a dinosaur-killing meteor that would transform the planet so much the warfare stops being significant.  An attacker could throw space rocks from any direction at any distance.  

At their simplest, an attacker can just fly an interstellar ship at the planet and not hit the brakes.  As long as it hits the planet fast enough, the planet gets destroyed.  Even if the defender breaks up the ship, if the debris hits hard enough the planet still gets sufficiently destroyed.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By MelonCollie
      Hi Everyone,

My name is Bob Pepek, I'm an audio post production engineer for film / TV. I'm looking to try my hand at Game Audio. Did you know that great sound design is rarely ever noticed but is always felt by an audience? That's where I can help.
      I've worked as the dialogue editor and sound designer for Sprout / NBC's Saturday morning cartoon Astroblast. I sound design for the web-series Channelate (hosted by Explosm / Cyanide and Happiness). Though most notably work as the go-to sound designer for the hundreds of the LEGO Star Wars / Marvel / Ninjago product animations and mini-movies.

My past sound design clients include NBC, ESPN, LucasArts, LEGO, Sprout Network, Disney, Sci-Fi Network, Walmart,  Sesame Street, The list goes on and on! Below I've included a link to my demo reel as well as other projects I have done sound design for:

Sound Design Reel
      https://vimeo.com/214093302

Other Work (Channelate, Explainer Vids, Ads)
      meloncollieproductions.com/work/

360 Sound Designs (LEGO Star Wars / Avengers: Infinity War)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gdss2fANPQ
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7Leyaq780
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzPu_tw6eY

Recent Film Work:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFXobIMAgM
      https://vimeo.com/273203490
      https://vimeo.com/229448486

If you're looking for a sound designer I'd love to help out! Feel free to reach out at bobpepek@gmail.com. 

Cheers,
      Bob
    • By HomeBrewArcana
      Hey All,
      I'm looking to get into the gaming industry. I've skirted around the idea for a long time, always thinking that I couldn't do it. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

My question is whether it's worth going to school for game design/coding etc. I've been writing content for paper games for a while, and have a good idea of story and some basic design. But I have next to no technical know how. 

My instinct is that such things can be learned with a lot of practice, video tutorials, and more practice. I've also heard that a degree is not really that important, since you get hired based on your portfolio/prototypes. Why not just make the games?
      But won't a degree help with contacts and mentoring--I'm not a great networker.

Of course, it'll plunge me into more debt, but...
      If anyone has advice, let me know. Also any idea of a program to start with: Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Construct, Stencyl--I've heard good things about them all, so much so that I don't know which would be best to start with!

Thanks
    • By Jemme
      Hello,
      I have built games in the past in unity and XNA, android SDK etc. but it’s always been quite specific, when building a small Game Engine or more accurately a sub-set of code that is reusable across projects the tendency to structure the project falls towards composition of objects that are more "generic" than toward inheritance-based models.
      For the Engine specific sub-systems, we have components such as a MeshInstance/Renderer that contains a Handle to a Mesh in a MeshLibary and a handle to a Material from the material library which in turn hold PSO data etc. We can also have Components such as SoundSorce, which are managed by an AudioSystem and contains the data to specify what sound, at what volume etc.
      These systems can be Set up and shut down from within the Engine/Game class such as:
      void Engine::Run() { if (Initialize()) { //Main loop call the systems //Dispatch Events } ShutDown(); } void Engine::Initialize() { //Init all sub-systems FileSystem.Init(); RenderSystem.Init(); PhysicsSystem.Init(); AudioSystem.Init(); WorldManager.Init(); //Creats Entities } void Engine::ShutDown() { //shutdown all sub-systems WorldManager.ShutDown(); AudioSystem.ShutDown(); PhysicsSystem.ShutDown(); RenderSystem.ShutDown(); FileSystem.ShutDown(); } But where does logic go? in smaller games like XNA or SFML you generally create some managers, let’s take the example of darkest dungeon.
      They have various managers like:
      Darkest Dungeon Manager Campaign Selection Manager Estate manager Party formation manager Town manager etc.. All the logic and systems to run the game are based within the managers, and objects contain scripts of data that are fed thorough the systems.
      In a small reusable code base how would you separate the logic from the engine, should like the smaller games all the managers just be shoved into the Engine Class even though that goes against a reusable data-driven framework? Should they just be stuck in a GameLogic system that's is initialized in the Engine Initialism function. And how do people tend to connect data scripts to the other various engine systems without causing too much game specific coupling. For example, you can use an Event System, but firing and event such as DAMAGED_BY_ZOMBIE and having the internal engine respond to that seems to break the separation from the low-high level of the engine system.
      Would be great to here some opinions from the community on this subject as it is quite a vital and potentially problem prone aspect of engine/game development.
      Thanks.
    • By Luca Falco
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMoc52DEoC8     ABOUT THE GAME: Room54 is a first-person Horror/adventure  Videogame for pc,mac and linux users. the game is currently under development by a very small team, we put so much effort in this project and we are keep doing our best for that we are going to launch a kickstarter campaing in order to reach our ideal budget to complete the project, we hope the GameDev community can help us a lot                      STORY:   Daniel is a family father like many other, one day he decide with your wife and his daughter  to spend her winter holidays at their mountain house that they have recently buy in  mountain ,a  wonderful place surrounded by the nature of the woods,  Completely far away from the caotic city life. During their holidays Daniel and his family will understand that they are not welcome there and they will discover an  hided and disturbing part of the valley that they have never seen before                       GAMEPLAY:   You will play as Daniel, a father that will try to save his family, your gameplay will be focused on discovering secrets places around valley,investigating and trying to survive, you will find object that will help you solve enigma and to stay alive. The immersive audio and  environment will make you feel constantly follow by an high anxiety dose  during the game.                         SOCIAL PAGES:     Follow us to get the latest development news and insights     IndieDB:     http://www.indiedb.com/games/room54   Twitter:       https://twitter.com/Room54Thegame   facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/Room54/
    • By Developer Dre Reid
      Hello fellow game devs I am seeking some answers to a somewhat simple question. Now I always thought that when a dev was going to work on a new game to publish he/she should keep some aspects secret infill time to release then he/she can give out needed information pertaining to the game to the public as a marketing tactic. However I had a discussion with other game devs who stated that my way was somewhat not right and the only reason I had such thoughts was due to me being a smaller indie dev who was afraid of having my idea stolen. 
      Therefore I would honestly like to know if my way was right or were the other devs correct. If I were to start working on a new game and give out information about it online via social media would I be risking my idea being stolen and it being made faster and better by another developer or team of developers. Am...Am I paranoid??? 
    • By shadow_archer
      hello!
      so i had this idea of a game i wanted to make that i had in mind for years and i wanted to try to execute it (at least partiality).
      problem is, i don't really know what kind of game style this game can fall under and i don't really know where to start learning sources and design wise :/ .
      i want to create a management style game and all the controls the user has are through a menu of some sort similar to this (this particular example is from a game called '911 operator' by jutsu games):

to find more information about how i can create such a game i really want to know what's the name of this style of game, mostly GUI controlled game.
      aside from that i'm looking for a bit of advice,
      which engine would be best for such a game? i'm fluent in C++,C# and python so any game engine you can throw at me is great!
      are there any good sources to learn from before jumping into this kind of game, tutorials of some sort perhaps?

thanks so much to anyone who answers, this really means a lot to me!
    • By Helgraves
      Hello!
      I am seeking a few team members to help me run some survival sandbox game servers through a 3rd party hosting site. My goal is to replace "official" servers in the sense that our servers offer the best experience for players of all types (not easy to do!). Why do I need a team for this? Because the game we are working with has far more potential than most people realize - it is my hope that I can bring a better ruleset to the table that focuses more on fun-factor than a genre label.
      My end-game goal is to run quite a few long-term small MRPG servers across multiple games/platforms (platforms of course based on availability of supported server hosting). Personally, I see multiplayer and co-op gamers gravitating towards a more personal experience with small, MRPG servers, as opposed to something like an MMORPG.
      Current Progress:
      Design Document
      Server Patch Notes
      A little about me:
      I took 6 years of high school and have zero college education Zero game/software development experience Hate math, can't code, also can't create any type of art assets Musician of almost 30 years Work on songwriting and music production in a metal band based in my region Only have hobbies for things I'm passionate about, have had some success professionally, with more to come Can I build a toaster, no, but I can tell you exactly how it should work without confusing you That being said, I have made a lot of progress this year on my own - and currently have one server up and running. I am at a point now where I need to construct a small team to help me get my other servers up and running, as well as adding/creating custom content. 
      Currently looking for:
      1-2 x Mod Developers 1 x Server Administrator You must have access to the game we are running our server on, as well as any other tools that are needed to get the job done (like Unreal 4 engine, software development tools, etc.)
      I am more than willing to provide information as requested for anyone interested!
      Thank you for your time,
      Helgraves
    • By Hashbrown
      Hopefully this is a simple question for some of you. I've managed to create a nice fly cam:

...but now I'd like to make a standard fps control. If I keep the y axis at 0, I don't fly up or down and I obviously move around at y0, but if I look down, my player slows down. Keep in mind, I'm using my own little engine btw.
      I'm guessing this has to do to the fact that my w,a,s,d forward vectors are calculated using the model matrix which also calculated XYZ rotation. Making a google search, I found this link, but it's an Unreal related question, and on top of that using their graphical blueprint whatever you call it. But it's pretty much the same question and (I'm guessing) possible answer.
      What I think I should do
      Should I make a completely different model matrix that ignores the X and Z axis which I can use for the player's movement? I'm a little confused in what I can do, and I can't find anything on Google that isn't THREE.js or Unity related.
      I'm pretty sure I have to disconnect the look controls from the movement controls. I'd like to be able to move towards where I'm looking without flying up or down, but at the same time be able to apply gravity at some point. But for now, I'd really like to solve that "look down move slow" issue. 
      Thanks all for your support. Below I'll share some of the code I wrote for the movement.

// Controls flyCam(camSpeed) { if (Game.Input.Key.rightArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateX(camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.leftArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateX(-camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.upArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateY(-camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.downArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateY(camSpeed); } Game.camera.transform.rotation.y += Game.Input.Mouse.delta.x * (200.0 / Game.Renderer.width/2) * Game.Time.step; Game.camera.transform.rotation.x += Game.Input.Mouse.delta.y * (200.0 / Game.Renderer.height/2) * Game.Time.step; } // TranslateXYZ translateX (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.right.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.right.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.right.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } translateY (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.up.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.up.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.up.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } translateZ (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.forward.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.forward.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.forward.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } // Model Matrix Mat4.translate(translation, this.position.x, this.position.y, this.position.z); Mat4.scale(scale, this.scale.x, this.scale.y, this.scale.z); Mat4.rotateX(rotateX, this.rotation.x); Mat4.rotateY(rotateY, this.rotation.y); Mat4.rotateZ(rotateZ, this.rotation.z); Mat4.mul(rotateXY, rotateY, rotateX); Mat4.mul(rotation, rotateXY, rotateZ); Mat4.mul(rotScale, rotation, scale); Mat4.mul(model, translation, rotScale); // Update Direction Mat4.transformVec4(this.forward, FWD, model); Mat4.transformVec4(this.up, UP, model); Mat4.transformVec4(this.right, RIGHT, model);  
    • By orion87
      I know that pre-rendered games use images of 3D scenes rendered on other hardware; then these images are used as backgrounds. I was wondering if the power of the console is irrelevant to visualize these images. What I mean exactly is: if the console only visualizes these images, and so it must not compute them as it does with games rendered in real time, is it possible that a pre-rendered game, created with the more sophisticated hardware and techniques today, can be visualized correctly with a console like Playstation 1 without problems (resolution and some other factor aside)? For example, to use pre-rendered images like those of Resident Evil 0 (Nintendo Gamecube) on the Playstation 1. Or does the console has its limits regarding the pre-rendered images which it is able to visualize?
      Another question which connects to the previous one: what is the difference between pre-rendered images of games and the realistic scenarios used by architects etc? Can those realistic scenarios used as pre-rendered backgrounds? I did this reasoning: if with my dated computer (so with my Nvidia Geforce go 7300 Turbocache) of 2006 I can visualize renderings created with the most advanced hardware today, this should be the same regarding the matter of pre-rendered backgrounds created today with the most advanced hardware, put in old consoles like Playstation 1. Is this reasoning correct?
    • By drcrack
      It is a combination of fundamental RPG elements and challenging, session-based MOBA elements. Having features such as creating your unique build, customizing your outfit and preparing synergic team compositions with friends, players can brave dangerous adventures or merciless arena fights against deadly creatures and skilled players alike.

More info: https://zealrpg.com/about
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!