• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By stale
      I've just started learning about tessellation from Frank Luna's DX11 book. I'm getting some very weird behavior when I try to render a tessellated quad patch if I also render a mesh in the same frame. The tessellated quad patch renders just fine if it's the only thing I'm rendering. This is pictured below:
      However, when I attempt to render the same tessellated quad patch along with the other entities in the scene (which are simple triangle-lists), I get the following error:

I have no idea why this is happening, and google searches have given me no leads at all. I use the following code to render the tessellated quad patch:
      ID3D11DeviceContext* dc = GetGFXDeviceContext(); dc->IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D11_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_4_CONTROL_POINT_PATCHLIST); dc->IASetInputLayout(ShaderManager::GetInstance()->m_JQuadTess->m_InputLayout); float blendFactors[] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f }; // only used with D3D11_BLEND_BLEND_FACTOR dc->RSSetState(m_rasterizerStates[RSWIREFRAME]); dc->OMSetBlendState(m_blendStates[BSNOBLEND], blendFactors, 0xffffffff); dc->OMSetDepthStencilState(m_depthStencilStates[DSDEFAULT], 0); ID3DX11EffectTechnique* activeTech = ShaderManager::GetInstance()->m_JQuadTess->Tech; D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc; activeTech->GetDesc(&techDesc); for (unsigned int p = 0; p < techDesc.Passes; p++) { TerrainVisual* terrainVisual = (TerrainVisual*)entity->m_VisualComponent; UINT stride = sizeof(TerrainVertex); UINT offset = 0; GetGFXDeviceContext()->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 1, &terrainVisual->m_VB, &stride, &offset); Vector3 eyePos = Vector3(cam->m_position); Matrix rotation = Matrix::CreateFromYawPitchRoll(entity->m_rotationEuler.x, entity->m_rotationEuler.y, entity->m_rotationEuler.z); Matrix model = rotation * Matrix::CreateTranslation(entity->m_position); Matrix view = cam->GetLookAtMatrix(); Matrix MVP = model * view * m_ProjectionMatrix; ShaderManager::GetInstance()->m_JQuadTess->SetEyePosW(eyePos); ShaderManager::GetInstance()->m_JQuadTess->SetWorld(model); ShaderManager::GetInstance()->m_JQuadTess->SetWorldViewProj(MVP); activeTech->GetPassByIndex(p)->Apply(0, GetGFXDeviceContext()); GetGFXDeviceContext()->Draw(4, 0); } dc->RSSetState(0); dc->OMSetBlendState(0, blendFactors, 0xffffffff); dc->OMSetDepthStencilState(0, 0); I draw my scene by looping through the list of entities and calling the associated draw method depending on the entity's "visual type":
      for (unsigned int i = 0; i < scene->GetEntityList()->size(); i++) { Entity* entity = scene->GetEntityList()->at(i); if (entity->m_VisualComponent->m_visualType == VisualType::MESH) DrawMeshEntity(entity, cam, sun, point); else if (entity->m_VisualComponent->m_visualType == VisualType::BILLBOARD) DrawBillboardEntity(entity, cam, sun, point); else if (entity->m_VisualComponent->m_visualType == VisualType::TERRAIN) DrawTerrainEntity(entity, cam); } HR(m_swapChain->Present(0, 0)); Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
    • By RenderPixel
      I have just started writing shaders recently (a couple of weeks ago.) (Background info in another post here.) I decided to start with a basic phong shader. I understand (I think) the implementation of the diffuse and specular refleections. 
      Diffuse reflection = (N.L)
      Specular reflection = (R.V)^S   where s = specular power. 
      Reflection vector = 2* (N.L)*N-L
      I have a shader put together for fx composer 2.5 that is an attempt at the phong lighting model. (Shader code linked.) I have not added in the texture sample to the pixel shader output yet since I am trying to debug lighting model issues. The diffuse reflection works fine, however, the specular reflection is giving me some trouble. 
      The problem I am experience is that the specular reflection (shown here) seems to affect the back of the sphere. 
      When I saturate the specular reflection value I get this: (If saturate clamps input to min=0 and max=1, I do not know where these values on the back are coming from since negative values should just get clamped to 0.)

If I remove the saturate from the specular reflection and add the difuse reflection to the specular reflection I get this.  (I will post an image of my diffuse reflection below to show how it looks on its own. )

Diffuse reflection by itself. 

What am I missing here?
      Also, I am completely open to feedback on my shader. I am looking to learn anything I can here.  Thank you in advance for your time.

• By Francisco Tufr
      Hi everyone! I'm currently working on a series of books about 2D Shader Development.

The idea is to synthesize a bunch of techniques that are specifically useful for 2D, even if they work on 3D as well.

I released the first book last week. It's 4.99 on Amazon or free on the series website, https://www.2dshaders.com

This is an independent initiative, I don't work for any publisher whatsoever. The contents of the books are the result of a 4-year span where I started teaching this in Argentina and USA, always making the workshop better. Now I'm expanding it to make more sense in book form.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the idea and if you get the book let me know what you think.

By the way, the examples are in Unity, but the concepts from the book should be easily transferable to any graphics api/engine.

Hope you like it!
    • By Kai Keeper
      I finished this game a while ago, now I'm trying to make an introduction video before I put it on Steam, looking for feedback.
      I have already got some feedback from other people, and this is what they felt or some of the things I think the video doesn't do a good job: 1. I don't understand the core concept of the game. I think another video that explains the core concept of this game would be better.
      2. I feel that the video was too long, it showed way too many features.
      If you feel the same way, please let me know. If you have any other suggestions/feedback please don't hold back.
    • By fgp069
      Hi there, this is my first time posting, but have been a long-time lurker in this community. I am currently developing a 3D game engine using a deferred renderer and OpenGL.
      I have successfully implemented recursive portals (and mirrors) in my engine utilizing the stencil buffer to mask out regions of the screen. This solution is very favorable as I am able to have dozens of separate views drawn at once without needing to worry about requiring multiple G-buffers for each individual (sub)view. I also benefit with being able to perform post processing effects over all views, only needing to apply them over what is visible (one pass per-section with stencil masking for no risk of overdraw).
      Now presently I am pondering ways of dealing with in-game camera displays (for an example think of the monitors from Half-Life 2). In the past I've handled these by rendering from the camera's perspective onto separate render target, and then in the final shading pass applying it as a texture. However I was greatly disappointed with the performance and the inability to combine with post-processing effects (or at least the way I do presently with portals). Another concern being that I wish to have scenes containing several unique camera screens at once (such as a security CCTV room), without needing to worry about the associated vram usage of having several G-Buffers.
      I wanted to ask more experienced members of this community if it would be possible to handle them in a similar fashion as I do with portals, but with the difference being for them to be transformed so they take on the appearance of a flat 2D surface. Would anybody with a more comprehensive understanding of matrix maths be able to tell me if this idea is feasible or not, and if so could come up with a possible solution?
      I hope all this makes enough sense. Any possible insight would be greatly appreciated!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Night Agression

When we last saw the sunshine? ... It seems that ten years ago ...
We both wanted to live under the warm sun, so we want to go ... 
Having spent ten years in bins, people start an uprising. Rebellion for a place under the sun, which is now occupied by scary creatures .. When people are cornered, patience may be over. And it was over. Without hope of salvation without faith in victory, people are going to fight for own world 
You - one of them, clean your city from hundreds of monsters and give of humanity hope of salvation on this night, full of hardcore and aggression!

Download http://falcoware.com/NightAgression.php

• Advertisement