• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By bvincent
      Hello everyone,
      I am doing a survey to understand better what are the pain points in terms of music composition in video games, what are the game studios / developers expectations in the future and how the industry could be improve: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NycMla5fhQd1fMbLy3c28alxCbhIYvkD6Fv9lqhxEJ0
      It is not a promotion of any kind, I am just interested in getting feedbacks from game developers, studios and gamers (and composers as well). 
      The answers are completely confidential and no personal information will be published, or used for any other purpose.
      Thanks for your time and help  
      Vincent 
    • By nsmadsen
      Hey everyone,
      Here's some of the music I composed and produced for SGI's recent slot theme Monopoly Colossal Boardwalk, a slot game included in the newly released Monopoly Slots app! You can play this game and many great SGI slot games here: https://www.facebook.com/monopolyslots/ All content is owned exclusively by SGI and is showcased with permission. Feedback is always welcome and I hope you enjoy it!

• By WigNut
      Hi GameDev,
      I'm a composer and gamer, and would to find the right project to work on. Here is a link to my latest orchestral reel (although do work in other genres as well):

If you're interested please feel free to pm/email and we'll go from there!
      matt
      matt@mirrorballentertainment.com

• By Pete Jones
      Hi guys, I've been having trouble trying to network. I want to work on some small free games like something posted to itch.io or something similar. I've obviously been offering to do the music for free. I've posted on itch.io community forums, on Facebook groups, twitter, I've directly emailed people and not one person bothers to get back to me. I thought since I was offering to do this stuff for free it wouldn't be too difficult and I'm positive my music isn't that bad. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Here's my tracks if you want a listen.

• By Stillo Entertainment
      little bit about us, we are Stillo a 3 man team who have 2 projects in the work, that are in need of sound. these projects are simple physics puzzle that are a bit repetitive, and randomly generated so they are infinite. the core mechanics are good but this isn't the time of space invaders and games like these have a short shelf life. so we looking for some music that can accompany the games, instead of the bog standard background track. i am looking for someone who are interesting in having there music heard.
      while doing some research for these projects we came across a game call 'PitchUp'. our games have a similar style of mechanics and pace. pitchup's designers decided to use an album from the artist Dlay, instead of repeating a backing track. a song plays until an ad which is 5 or so respawns, this relates to about 2 minutes of game play, after the ad a new song starts. similar to our games there is not much need for long delays between spawns, which causes problems when trying to keep the game from being repetitive in longer play sessions. they seem to have solved this problem with having the album in game. the ads brake up the game and the new track gives the player a sense of a fresh start after an ad.
      stillo are looking for a producer who is willing to contribute a list of tracks or an album that could fit in with our style of project. we are looking for something electronic with an eerie vibe around 110 dpm eg. techno, synthwave, vaporwave etc. comment or email us a link to your soundcloud or other online music hosting place, we will be in contact if we like your stuff.
      stillo.entertainment@gmail.com
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Getting Real Instruments?

Advertisement

Yes, hiring an orchestra is expensive. Why do you think you have to do that? I mean, raising money for anything related to development is doable, but not easy. Why not go with a less expensive option, if money is a problem?

Consider using only a few real instruments and leave the rest in the hands of a composer who can create convincing mock ups. You'll be amazed at how just having one live instrument can enhance a recording. 

Also consider Fiverr. Lots of musicians, myself included, offer our services up there for affordable rates. 

A good option is to go to the nearest music school. Normally the music schools of any town (even small town) or city, have a small local orchestra. You could ask them and they sure could do you a favor.

:] 

Edited by Geralt Albertsen

On 8/28/2017 at 3:23 PM, G Leoni said:

A good option is to go to the nearest music school.

That's a good idea. Sometimes you can find people in local church orchestras too (if you can stomach that crowd), that will take an interest just because they think your project is cool. 

Nowadays with virtual instruments you can do something pretty realistic. Hire someone that does music with those virtual instruments and he/she will make it custom-made.

If you have more budget and you really see the difference between virtual recreation and live recording, go for it!

10 minutes ago, the incredible smoker said:

Just get some Korg Triton or Trinity or whatever, contains most sounds.

@the incredible smoker, no disrespect if this is your keyboard of choice. I wouldn't recommend attempting to use one of these for game audio if the OP was asking about realism. I guess I'd like to offer a differing opinion, rather than a criticism of your suggestion here...If someone is wanting to go the Korg workstation route, the Kronos and M3 are far better choices than a Trinity or Triton because of the size of the sample bank, open architecture, and implementation of extended instrument articulations.

Even at the $400 price point for which you could acquire a Trinity or Triton, I feel an expansion pack from EastWest, Vienna, Motu, or Native Instruments if a far better buy IF the op wants to go that route. Great thoughts though!