Recentering the mouse, fixed timestep

Hi all,

I'm struggling with an issue in the way I handle mouse input.
This is my current setup/ approach:

- I have a fixed timestep for updating game logics/ physics (i.e. 1/60th of a second
- rendering happens as fast as the conditions allow it
- I have an input system that takes RAW axis's on the input side, and provides logical ranges on the output side
(i.e. mouse axis X/Y in, and camera X/Y output)
- for the camera 'look'/ rotation, I use relative coordinates. Meaning that when the mouse moved 3 by 3 pixels the last frame, the camera is rotated using that as input
- after the game logics read/ retrieved the current logical range, it sets the raw axis input to 0, 0 (because it's relative) (*** A ***)

Now, the problem:
- depending on debug/ release or framerate, the number of times WM_MOUSEMOVE is called, differs
- in the handling of WM_MOUSEMOVE I update the RAW AXIS's values to the inputsystem
-- and I reset the mouse cursor

The symptom is that the mouselook/ rotation is slower when framerates are higher.
I also found out why, this is because the offsets/ relative movement of the mouse is very small, because after each WM_MOUSEMOVE, the cursor is reset (to center of the screen)

I thought of different solutions, for example resetting the mouse cursor at the point marked as ***A*** above. But then the game logics would know and act on something called a mouse. This is exactly what I want to prevent with the input handler. Because it could also be joypad or keyboard or whatsoever. Another solution could be that I add a GetRAWAxisValue function to the inputhandler, and check if this is 0, and if it isn't, then reset the mouse cursor (in WM_MOUSEMOVE handling).

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction or suggest another solution.
Where possible I want to stay with relative, so no absolute mouse positions (because of going out of screen/window bounds etc., + the camera input system currently also expects 'changes', no absolute ranges).

Any input is appreciated.

1 hour ago, cozzie said:

I thought of different solutions, for example resetting the mouse cursor at the point marked as ***A*** above. But then the game logics would know and act on something called a mouse.

You don't have to reset it inside your game logic do you? You know which frames will update game logic, reset in those frames after the game logic update.