Education advise for total beginner

Started by
23 comments, last by Gamerep 6 years, 6 months ago
6 hours ago, Hakan Ergin said:

What do you mean with game designer btw? Do you mean it is enough to have knowledge of one subject such as modelling would be enough for this

You are probably using the term "game designer" without knowing what that term means to game developers. One meaning of the term "Game developer" is that it's a generic term for "someone working in creating [electronic] games," like a modeler or programmer or producer, for instance. But "game designer" is a specific term meaning someone who designs games. You need to read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson14.htm and read what a game designer is, exactly. And you should read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm which someone else already suggested you should read.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
8 hours ago, Hakan Ergin said:

So how do you understand that one can enjoy or not?

Game designers typically enjoy designing games on their own.  It may mean building scenarios for D&D or similar tabletop games, building your own cards in Magic: the Gathering or YuGiOh, or otherwise manipulating the rules and structure of games.  Most game designers I've known have built their own table-top games out of paper cards and cutouts and such, most have put together several games before they were ever a professional video game designer.

Game designers tend to study the rules of games. While everybody enjoys playing a good game, a game designer will often break down a level and study it out to see why it is good or why it is bad.  They'll watch videos on the subject, read about things why the original Super Mario Bros level 1-1 from 1985 was one of the best introductory levels in history, and study the amazing things Portal did to ensure players mastered every skill as they traveled along a gentle learning curve. They'll also read about what games do badly, what makes levels confusing, what creates barriers for understanding. They'll learn about game mechanics and how systems interact from a design perspective.  Study usually requires experimenting, so lots of notes for paper-and-pencil rule systems, and lots of experimenting with paper cutouts, moving scraps of paper around.

Game programmers, on the other hand, tend to program things on their own. Most will start tinkering with computers and editors, and quickly move on to programming languages on their own. They'll play with windows forms, build their own tic-tac-toe programs or temperature converter programs or web page scripts. Back in my day people would start with BASIC because it was standard on most computers. These days web programming tends to be the first experiments. People will build a web page, learn to edit the raw HTML, learn how to write JavaScript, start responding to events, and show off what they've learned with friends.  

Game programmers tend to study logic and algorithms. The more natural programmers tend to study these out while they're young. I remember back in the 2nd or 3rd grade playing with cards and figuring out how it was that I sorted cards into my hand, arranging them by number and suit. Over the years I had a desire to study all kinds of topics related to programming, including game programming, I studied what made code good from different perspectives, what made code bad, and why sometimes code that people considered as bad up front was actually great code.

Game artists draw, and will draw everything.  Everything in games these days is art, and that means drawing and modeling everything.  Everything includes rocks and boulders, trees of all types; buildings like shacks, warehouses, barns, homes mansions and civic buildings from all eras; clothing from all eras back from caveman days, through most eras of history, through future clothing designs; many types of weapons and armors; vehicles like carts and wagons, modern cars and trucks, and futuristic vehicles; creatures like horses and sheep and goats and pigs, insects and mice, orcs and goblins, dragons and unicorns, humans of all ages and dimensions and personalities, aliens, demons and gods.  They'll study art, learn and discover what makes art compelling or disastrous.

Game animators animate things, similar to artists but studying motion, what makes actions compelling, styles of animation that have been used from the ultra-realistic to Tex Avery-style high exaggeration. They'll learn how animation and motion are related to storytelling, and how motion communicates both successfully and not.

Do you already do any of these things on your own? Do you find them fulfilling? It it something you could do full time, every day, for the next 20 to 30 years of your life?   If none of those paths appeals to you, that's a good sign those aren't the ones you'll enjoy.  If they're something you're already doing on your own during your spare time, that's a good sign you'll enjoy them.

I just want to point out that you don't need to draw or to be able to draw in order to become a professional 3D artist, all you need is the skill to understand a 3d volume and translate a concept art into a 3d model inside the software of your choice :P

1 hour ago, MarcusAseth said:

I just want to point out that you don't need to draw or to be able to draw in order to become a professional 3D artist

That is technically correct (the best kind of correct ;)), however, most professional artists of any discipline will tell you that a good understanding of fundamental art principles (such as some of those listed in this article) greatly aids in the process and that one of the best ways of mastering those is through drawing.  There's a reason a common piece of advice for art beginners is to learn and practice drawing.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Well, thanks for the insight everybody. I will think about it thoroughly. Also reading the articles suggested.

However this has started to become offtopic. My question remains unanswered. If one decides to go through it, how should it be? I guess that depends on the person and their skills, if so, what are the options?

7 minutes ago, Hakan Ergin said:

My question remains unanswered. If one decides to go through it, how should it be? I guess that depends on the person and their skills, if so, what are the options?

Please restate the question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

9 minutes ago, Hakan Ergin said:

if so, what are the options?

Well, I think frob listed the options, you need to choose one of those paths in order to get further details on how to do it I think, otherwise the "how to" to cover is too broad.

2 hours ago, Hakan Ergin said:

If one decides to go through it, how should it be? I guess that depends on the person and their skills, if so, what are the options?

Correct it depends on the person.

You write that you're 30 years old and live in Italy.  You also write that completing a degree program is "not your first choice".

That is young enough that you could still go get the degree if you wanted. You may have other life concerns that make it more difficult, such as having young children.

You haven't really listed what job you are going for, although you mentioned design, programming, and art and modeling topics.  Remember that you don't exist in a vacuum, you are competing against other people for those jobs.  If you're going for a programming position you'll need to be among the best programmers in the applicant pool, which means demonstrating experience in programming even if you don't have the degree. If you're going for an art position you've got to have a portfolio that competes with the other artists applying for the job.  Game designer is out because that is not an entry level position, but smaller design jobs like level designer may be available if you can demonstrate skills there.

Whichever job you want to follow, you need to develop your skills first.  Studios don't hire programmers who "do not have almost any coding skills", nor 3D modelers who don't have a portfolio to review.  Both paths require a few years of study, either through formal schooling or through highly dedicated studies on your own.

It is possible to develop those skills. I've known programmers who started learning in their 40's, and one who started learning in his late 50's. I've known a smaller number of artists who also changed into the career around those ages.  If it is what you want, if you enjoy the field of programming or the field of art then go for it.   But my caution from earlier still applies:  playing games and creating games are different. Enjoying games is wonderful, but if you're getting in to creating games make sure you actually enjoy programming or modeling or animating, not just playing.

Well, i guess it is not too late for studying.

Most importantly, figure out which role you are interested in, there are a lot of different roles.

Follow us to find out more about our future games

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asylumhouse.co/

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/AsylumHouseGaming

Twitter: @asylum_house

Instagram: @asylumhousegaming

Tumblr: @asylumhouseblog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement