Sign in to follow this  

Mesh Simplification Algorithm

I am currently working on a dynamic LOD system, After searching for algorithms to do this I found the quadric mesh simplification which looked very promising, however I have no idea how to implement it without any clear example of code. Does anyone have an example of how to implement this algorithm or any mesh simplification algorithm which would be useful for my goal?

The original code QSlim is available on his website:

https://mgarland.org/research/quadrics.html

A better implementation for learning can be found here:

https://mgarland.org/research/quadrics.html

The link by JoeJ is a simplified/modified version of the original algorithm. IIRC it doesn't update the error metric of the neighborhood immediately after an edge collapse , but postpones it till later for a batch update. This is a common optimization, but it is different from the original idea.

I agree with JoeJ using Simplygon. In particular if you need to simplify not only geometry, but also texture coordinates, normals, etc...

Edited by DonDickieD

Hughes Hoppe did a bunch of work somewhat related to that, including view-dependent LOD, mesh reduction, and cleaning up geometry data to be both smaller and contain fewer geometric errors or errant polygons.  He moved more to video over the last decade, but he had about two decades publishing papers on mesh simplification and mesh processing.

The papers are on his web site and several have source code links. You could also look at his co-authors on the papers, mostly grad students, and see what work they published on similar algorithms.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By pabloreda

I am coding the rasterization of triangles by the baricentric coordinate method.
      Look a lot of code and tutorials that are on the web about the optimization of this algorithm.
      I found a way to optimize it that I did not see it anywhere.
      I Only code the painting of triangles without Zbuffer and without textures. I am not comparing speeds and I am not interested in doing them, I am simply reducing the amount of instructions that are executed in the internal loop.
      The idea is simple, someone must have done it before but he did not publish the code or maybe in hardware it is already that way too.
      It should be noted that for each horizontal line drawn, of the three segments, you only need to look at one when going from negative to positive to start drawing and you only need to look at one when it goes from positive to negative when you stop drawing.
      I try it and it works well, now I am implementing a regular version with texture and zbuffer to realize how to add it to this optimization.
      Does anyone know if this optimization is already done?
      The code is in https://github.com/phreda4/reda4/blob/master/r4/Dev/graficos/rasterize2.txt
      From line 92 to 155

• By @Teejay_Cherian
      This is for a dissertation im working on  regarding procedural generation directed towards indie Developers so if you're an indie dev please feel free to share your thoughts
      Does run-time procedural generation limit the designer's freedom and flexibility? if( Have you ever implemented procedural generation ==true){ talk about  some of the useful algorithms used}  else {explain why you haven't} Do you think indie Devs are taking advantage of the benefits provided by procedural generation? What are some of the games that inspired you to take up procedural content generation? If there is anyway i can see your work regarding proc gen please mention the link ( cz i need actual indie developers to make a valid point in my dissertation) Thank You So Much
    • By electrolysing
      Hello,
      when I have multiple Threads, reading and writing to a scene graph, how do I synchronize data over several nodes?
      I.e. when a character with a gun moves, the gun moves with him. A thread dedicated to calculating matrices of both objects might update the character first but before it is able to recalculate the gun's matrix the render thread is already drawing both. Inevitably this causes the character and the gun to be out of sync...
      Now this doesn't only apply to the renderer but for the other threads, too.
    • By Kaskerh
      I recently bought a new mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) , i just want to know , which the best Andriod app ?
      I am going to install some app to manage phone  , it is mainly aimed at data management and cell phone space optimization, my phone has enough memory to store them
      What do you recommend ?
    • By Capoeirista
      Hey folks,
      I'm about to start work on a system that involves grouping NPCs located within a certain distance from the player in to cells; eventually each cell may exhibit different behaviors based on the 'mood' of the contained NPCs, although the NPCs themselves will have control over their own position & orientation (so no flocking).
      Before I begin work on this system I wanted to reach out and see if there are any algorithms that I should check out with regard to creating the NPC cells.
      At the moment my plan is pick a random NPC from a list of those around the player, and search within a small radius (from the chosen NPC) to find other nearby NPCs and create a cell. For each NPC added to a cell I repeat this radius check until there are no more valid NPCs for the current cell. Then repeat the cell creation process for any remaining NPCs in my list of those around the player:
      Example!
      So is that a reasonable approach to take? 
      Thanks for the advice!
  • Popular Now