How do you storyboard or sketch out a game narrative?

Started by
4 comments, last by Matthew Birdzell 6 years, 7 months ago

First actual post here outside introductions! So just a couple days ago I thought of trying this with a game story I've been developing for about a year, maybe two, now. I started one idea, threw it away, rebuilt it a while later, rewrote that a couple times, and took my protagonist for a "test run" in a short story this past college year, even though it turned out completely different than what I have now. Anyways I drew brackets on a notebook page, with some smaller sub brackets. I began filling in those with plot options, narrative development ideas, possible plot twists and character growth ideas. On the other side I wrote down my desired genre of game, audience, and simple ideas on the graphics and other design aspects. Do you do something like this? If not, what's your process like, if you have one?  By the way this is my first ever attempt at game writing. I want to see this through, as its original as well. I've taken inspirations from games I like and other stuff. 

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Advertisement

I start pretty much just like that.  I have a notebook that's always on the desk next to my computer (unless I'm going somewhere where I expect to sit and wait a while, then it comes with me).  Once I feel that the idea is going somewhere, then I start a Word doc for the project and start to organize it a little more.  Once that starts to take shape, then I start working on the actual Game Design Document.  There are some good templates to start with floating around the internet, and once you get a feel for your project it's easy enough to customize whatever one you find.

Much depends on the type of game, and it sounds like your's might be story heavy, so I also have separate docs for each major character, the setting/world, and stuff like that.  

13 hours ago, JediEwok said:

Once that starts to take shape, then I start working on the actual Game Design Document.  There are some good templates to start with floating around the internet, and once you get a feel for your project it's easy enough to customize whatever one you find.

Much depends on the type of game, and it sounds like your's might be story heavy, so I also have separate docs for each major character, the setting/world, and stuff like that.  

Wait.. Game Design Document... hmm....I might have heard of that. I'll look that up. 

I never really thought for making separate documents for those. It could help. 

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

You could try prototyping with Interactive Fiction tools such as Twine.

- Jason Astle-Adams

37 minutes ago, jbadams said:

You could try prototyping with Interactive Fiction tools such as Twine.

I have considered that. Maybe I will. For now I'm using note cards and a notebook.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement