Would like to create a game, but...

Started by
11 comments, last by nekomatata 6 years, 7 months ago

...but I don't have any story worth telling.

Would like to make something like Myst, but not only I lack the story, I also lack the skill to come up with those puzzles...

If you ever had this same problem, what did you do about it? :S

Advertisement

Open a topic in hobbie projects and look for a team :D

I suffered that problem, and I even I am still suffering it but also with 3D models and that stuff. Making a game (something decent) is pretty hard for a single person, because of mastering all the skills is almost impossible and also because it requires an insane amount of time.

Maybe you could develop a simple/easy game for mobile, but developing an indie alone...I think it is madness.

2 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

...but I don't have any story worth telling.

Would like to make something like Myst, but not only I lack the story, I also lack the skill to come up with those puzzles...

If you ever had this same problem, what did you do about it?

Not everyone can be the all in 1 team without putting a ton of hours in, and many times when working on a game you need different people either way due to time constraints, and work load. You can always outsource, or work with a friend.

I wouldn't go so far to say that it's impossible to obtain all these skills to work on lower scale games. Anyone can learn how to write a story over time, these are skill sets. The differences would be in the quality of the stories when comparing someone with a high amount of hours and talent with this skill, as opposed to someone who just writes because they have to without the ability to generate creative stories. As someone with over 15 years in IT, I've touched everything from Programming to 2D Graphics, Animations, 3D Modeling, Rigging, Sound Engineering, and more, but that's just because of the amount of exposure I had. I can only say at this time I'm very good in Programming, Writing Game Designs + Story concepts, and Sound Engineering, so I outsource the rest to more talented and skillful people, even sound. Also, there is only a certain amount of time in a day, and if you burden yourself with every task you might never finish the game depending on the scope, plus burn out fast.

The element that becomes unique between people is your creative ability that makes your stories so interesting, people cannot put the book down, or in this case the game. This in itself can be considered a talent, but also can be honed through writing a ton of stories over a period of time, and learning about what makes a story great. You still need to be creative! Given unlimited time in life, you could obtain any skill you wanted as long as you have the ability to do so. It's just those with talent have a head start over you, and you need to work that much harder.

If it's not your true passion, and you're not willing to put in the hours learning, then I would suggest just hiring, or teaming up with a story writer for your games. Focus on your strengths when working on projects, and have others fill in your gaps until you're able to obtain those skills on par with a level that works for you.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I think everyone has possibly passed through that problem of a blank story line.  I started out by reproducing a single, direct story line game I played in my youth in order to gain the skills needed.  A 3D space quest game with 2 ship designs, The player's and the computer's Ship.  With a single mission. Explore 1 planet, uncover clues to enemy's base. Find base and destroy it.

While I was writing the code, I would test each new section.  Eventually, by the end, I developed several spacecraft models to upgrade to, Different weapons and eventually the mission expanded to multiple planets and so did the storyboard.

I guess what I am saying is, do not waste time by trying to come up with a complete storyline on your first project.  Start your project and let your own gaming desires as you progress, drive your storyline. After all it is where you want to go, that others my follow!

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

1 hour ago, Poigahn said:

I guess what I am saying is, do not waste time by trying to come up with a complete storyline on your first project.  Start your project and let your own gaming desires as you progress, drive your storyline. After all it is where you want to go, that others my follow!

I think this is what I should try then, just because finding a team that works well for me is so damn hard, and I don't like the idea of guiding one x_x

Actually when I opened the topic I had this silly idea that maybe there was a magic book to give me the magic recipe to come up with good stories, but as all the other things, it require practice (lot of it) and I am not really into writing stories...too bad :/

To be honest, just do what @Poigahn suggested. My input really is more geared to making games for commercial sale. If you just want to create a game, have a general idea of what you want if possible for at least a starting point, and let the game develop as you go. Just implement ideas on the fly if you want! Hobbyist projects don't need the type of planning commercial projects do because of time constraints. Enjoy the processes!

Programmer and 3D Artist

9 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

Actually when I opened the topic I had this silly idea that maybe there was a magic book to give me the magic recipe to come up with good stories, but as all the other things, it require practice (lot of it) and I am not really into writing stories...too bad

I kind of consider this a "magic book"...one of my favorites and always gets me inspired when I read it.  https://www.amazon.com/Story-Substance-Structure-Principles-Screenwriting/dp/0060391685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503955073&sr=8-1&keywords=story+mckee

I shared the Amazon link, but I'm sure about 98% of the libraries around the world would have a copy available.

What are your skills?  I ask, because I'm a writer, and I've been working out the basics of a game idea, not quite Myst, but more like Gone Home.  I was keeping it simple in gameplay for my own skill level, but it could easily become more puzzle oriented if I connect with the right people to make that happen.

2 hours ago, JediEwok said:

What are your skills? 

mixed stuff, some 3d modeling, very basic(bad) 2D, some base of C++, and going right now trough a series of tutorials about C++ & Unreal Engine.

Basically for me making a game would also be the opportunity to see the various things learned all come togheter and an opportunity to improve, but still I would also like the project to be worth the time, that's why the lack of story prompted me to open this topic. I realize I'm just pretending for too much (as a single individual) :D

11 hours ago, MarcusAseth said:

that's why the lack of story prompted me to open this topic.

Your game's story is not like writing a book, where the reader is hanging on every word.  More like a movie, but not like "You are writing the outcome."  You will be Creating "Threads" or a trail of bread crumbs.  The player is "writing the Play" by following your trail of "Bread Crumbs".  You should be setting the "Stage".  Creating a bunch of Virtual If then .. else options for the player to choose from.  Make many trails in your ideas for the player to follow.  All leading to 2 possible outcomes, Success or Failure.

2 games come to mind to illustrate my thoughts. ( Look them up on Wikipidia )  1-Tomb Raider.  was a linear storyline where the Player only had 1 path to follow in order to reach the end.  You did what the writers wanted done or you failed.  2- SSI's Dungeon & Dragon's Game series.  Here the player had multiple -player options during game play. Each option presented the player with a different path to take, leading to additional options and more game paths.  Ultimately, the player was lead to the same ending, But each time they played, they could play it in a different sequence, giving the Character different Advantages or Dis-Advantages. 

Here is the mental road block, as the designer you already know where each option is going to lead.  Just make sure that each option does not stop the player dead in their tracks.  The results should always have the chance for success or Failure.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

40 minutes ago, Poigahn said:

Here is the mental road block, as the designer you already know where each option is going to lead.  Just make sure that each option does not stop the player dead in their tracks.

I'm not sure I get this :P

What would be an example of something that stops the player dead in their tracks?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement