ApochPiQ

Behavior Tool pre-release: Curvature Utility AI Suite

ApochPiQ    23063

I've just posted a pre-release edition of Curvature, my utility-theory AI design tool. Curvature provides a complete end-to-end solution for designing utility-based AI agents; you can specify the knowledge representation for the world, filter the knowledge into "considerations" which affect how an agent will make decisions and choose behaviors, and then plop a few agents into a dummy world and watch them run around and interact with things.

Preview 1 (Core) contains the base functionality of the tool but leaves a lot of areas unpolished. My goal with this preview is to get feedback on how well the tool works as a general concept, and start refining the actual UI into something more attractive and fluid. The preview kit contains a data file with a very rudimentary "scenario" set up for you, so you can see how things work without cutting through a bunch of clutter.

Give it a test drive, let me know here or via the Issue Tracker on GitHub what you like and don't like, and have fun!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Marc Klein
      Hello,
      I'm using BMfont to create a Bitmap font for my text Rendering. I noticed some strange behaviour when I use the option "force Offsets to Zero".
      If I use this option my rendering resultions looks ok, but without it, there is some missing space between some characters.
      I attached the BMFont configuration files and font that I used.
      In the rendering result with variable Offset you can see that there is missing space right next to the "r" letter.
      To get the source and destination of my render rectangles I basically to following:
      void getBakedQuad(const fontchar_t* f, int* x_cursor, int * y_cursor, SDL_Rect* src, SDL_Rect* dest) {
      dest->x = *x_cursor + f->xoffset;
      dest->y = *y_cursor + f->yoffset;
      dest->w = f->width;
      dest->h = f->height;
      src->x = f->x;
      src->y = f->y;
      src->w = f->width;
      src->h = f->height;
      *x_cursor += f->xadvance;
      }
      Has somebody noticed a similar behaviour?
      orbitron-bold.otf
      SIL Open Font License.txt
      variable_offset.bmfc
      variable_offset.fnt

zero_offset.bmfc
      zero_offset.fnt

• By codeliftsleep
      I'm building an American football simulation(think football manager), and am wondering about the best way of implementing AI based on various inputs which are weighted based on the personality of the NPC...I have a version of Raymond Cattell's16PF model built into the game to be able to use their various personality traits to help guide decisions.
      I am going to use this extensively so I need this to be both flexible and able to handle many different scenarios.
      For instance, a GM has to be able to decide whether he wants to resign a veteran player for big dollars or try and replace them through the draft. They need to be able to have a coherent system for not only making a decision in a vacuum as a single decision but also making a decision as part of a "plan" as to how to build the team...For instance it makes no sense for a GM to make decisions that don't align with each other in terms of the big picture. I want to be able to have the decisions take in a wide range of variables/personality traits to come up with a decision. 

There is no NPC per se...There isn't going to be any animations connected to this, no shooting, following, etc...just decisions which trigger actions. In a situation like a draft, there is one team "on the clock" and 31 other teams behind the scenes working on trying to decide if they want to try and trade up, trade down, etc which can change based on things like who just got picked, the drop off between the highest graded player at their position/group and the next highest graded player in that position/next group, if a player lasts past a certain point, etc...
      There needs to be all of these things going on simultaneous for all the teams, obviously the team on the clock is goifn to have to decide whether it wants to make a pick or take any of the offers to move down in the draft from other teams that might want to move up, etc..
      So I am planning on making use of something called Behavior Bricks by Padaone Games( bb.padaonegames.com )which is a Behavior Tree but in conversations with others who have worked on AI in major projects like this(EA sports) they said to combine this with a State Machine.
      My question is would I be able to do this using just Behavior Bricks or would I need to build the state machine separately?  Is there something else already created for this type of purpose that I could take advantage of?
    • By Hebi
      What worries me is fairness, I don't want an AI with "god eyes".
      In a first attempt, the AI wasn't smart at all. It has a set of rules, that could be customized per possible enemy formation, that makes the AI acts as it has personality. For example: Wolves had a 80% prob of using Bite and 20% of using Tackle.
      Then I tried to make the AI do things with sense, by coding a reusable algorithm, then I can use rules to give different enemies formations different personalities, like this one is more raw damage focused and this other more status ailment focused. To achieve this I was trying to make the AI player to collect stats about the human player skills and characters by looking at the log, my game has a console that logs everything like most RPGs (think Baldur's Gate). An attack looks like this in the console:

Wolf uses Bite Mina takes 34 points of damage Mina uses Fire Ball Wolf takes 200 points of damage The AI player has a function, run(), that is triggered each time a character it controls is ready to act. Then it analyzes the log and collect stats to two tables. One with stats per skills, like how many times it was used and how many times it did hit or was dodged, so the AI player knows what skills are more effective again the human player's team. These skills stats are per target. The second table is for human player's character stats. The AI player is constantly trying to guess the armor, attack power, etc, the enemies have.
      But coding that is quite difficult so I switched to a simpler method. I gave the AI player "god eyes". It has now full access to human player's stats, two tables aren't required anymore as the real character structure is accessible to the AI player. But the AI player pretends that it doesn't have "god eyes" by, for example, acting like it ignores a character armor again fire, until a fire attack finally hit that character, then a boolean flag is set, and the AI player can stop pretending it doesn't know the target exact armor again fire.
      Currently, the AI player can assign one of two roles to the characters it controls. Attacker and Explorer. More will be developed, like Healer, Tank, etc. For now there are Attackers and Explorers.
      These roles has nothing to do with character classes. They are only for the use of AI player.
      Explorer: will try to hit different targets with different skills to "reveal" their stats, like dodge rate, armor again different types of damage. They must chose which skills to use by considering all skills of all characters in the team, but I'm still figuring the algorithm so right now they are random but at least they take care to not try things that they already tried on targets that they already hit. Explorers will switch to attackers at some time during a battle.
      Attacker: will try to hit the targets that can be eliminated in less turns. When no stats are known they will chose own skills based on raw power, once the different types of armors are known to the AI, they will switch to skills that exploits this info, if such skills are available to them. Attackers will try different skills if a skill chosen based on raw power was halved by half or more and all enemy armors aren't known yet, but won't try for the best possible skill if one that isn't halved by as much as half its power is already known. Attackers may be lucky an select the best possible skill in the first attempt, but I expect a formation to work better if there are some explorers.
      This system opens up interesting gameplay possibilities. If you let a wolf escape, the next pack may come already knowing your stats, and that implies that their attackers will take better decisions sooner as the AI requires now less exploration.
      So, the description of an enemy formation that you can encounter during the game may be:

PackOfWolves1: { formation: ["wolf", null, "wolf", null, "wolf", null, "wolf", null, "wolf", null, null, null, null, null, null], openStatrategy: ["Explorer", null, "Explorer", null, "Explorer", null, "Attacker", null, "Attacker", null, null, null, null, null, null] } What do you think about these ideas? Was something similar tried before? Would you consider unfair an AI with "god eyes"?
    • By hpdvs2
      I remember seeing a name for this, but I can't find it anywhere now.
      In one of my courses, I use a weighted list to decide the choices for an AI.
      Basically, each AI class has 2 standard functions:  Value and Do.
      [Value] returns a float, a percentage of how imperative it believes it is that it does this.  I.e. when your base is under attack, sending troops to defend returns a high value.
      [Do] executes the AI.
      Then an AI Manager gets the value for each AI choice, and chooses to do the one with the highest value.
      I've seen a more formal name for this, but I don't recall what it was.

• Popular Now