Random terrain generation with fixed elevation

Hi folks, a fellow gamedev here.

So recently I've been trying to make a business simulation games (similar to Holiday Island or Sim City), and start moving on the vital element of the game: terrain generation and manipulation. The terrain is a simple heightmap with a randomly generated height values (I haven't implemented the random generation part, cause of this issue I'm talking about). Basically, in my game the terrain has to have fixed elevation, so when you compare a terrain vertex to its neighbors, they could either:

• have similar height
  • have a 0.5m height difference (higher or lower). It must not have more than 0.5m difference.

I need to do that to simplify the terrain manipulation (the game kinda heavily relies on it). I was thinking on simply generate the random height first, and then loop over every vertex to force its offending neighbors to lower/heighten itself accordingly. But alas it just doesn't seem to be the right way. Perhaps any of you ever done similar things in the past? I hope you could give me any advice on this matter. It's been boggling my mind. 

basically this is the game that inspires me.

program188-1.jpg

Midpoint displacement, also called the diamond-square algorithm, is trivially modified to handle that type of thing where you have zones with mandatory heights.

There are more complex algorithms out there which produce more pleasing results, but that one is easy to implement, was used in a bunch of older games, and with a bit of tuning can produce exactly the terrain grids you described.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By ferreiradaselva
      There are a bunch of path finding implementations online. But, to be honest, I wasn't much satisfied with  most of them, for one of these reasons:
      Dynamic memory allocation in the middle of the algorithm Algorithm that does too much (more than what is needed) Too many files for just a single task So I made this two-files (`uastar.c` and `uastar.h`) library: https://github.com/ferreiradaselva/uastar
      No memory dynamic allocation. Straight to the point (the README.md explains how to use).
      It's nothing biggie, but certainly useful.
      Path finder at work:

I'm leaving this in announcements, because I probably won't add more features (it's pretty much done).
    • By Sri Harsha
      Hi,

I have a triangle,oriented in a 3D Plane i.e. I have my vertices as (x1,y1,z1) ; (x2,y2,z2) and (x3,y3,z3)
      I am trying to convert this triangular facet to voxelised model i.e.
      Along each edge,I am applying Bresenhams 3D Line algorithm and generating intermediate points.After generating intermediate points, I want to fill the inside region.
      I have been searching for some algorithm like flood filling,but did not find anything relevant till now.
      I would be really glad,if some one can provide an algorithm for achieving this.
      I basically have a List of tuple for storing all the (x,y,z) data created along the edges.(generated using Brsenhams 3D Line algorithm).
      Now,I want an algorithm,which creates cubes in the inside region.
    • By pabloreda

I am coding the rasterization of triangles by the baricentric coordinate method.
      Look a lot of code and tutorials that are on the web about the optimization of this algorithm.
      I found a way to optimize it that I did not see it anywhere.
      I Only code the painting of triangles without Zbuffer and without textures. I am not comparing speeds and I am not interested in doing them, I am simply reducing the amount of instructions that are executed in the internal loop.
      The idea is simple, someone must have done it before but he did not publish the code or maybe in hardware it is already that way too.
      It should be noted that for each horizontal line drawn, of the three segments, you only need to look at one when going from negative to positive to start drawing and you only need to look at one when it goes from positive to negative when you stop drawing.
      I try it and it works well, now I am implementing a regular version with texture and zbuffer to realize how to add it to this optimization.
      Does anyone know if this optimization is already done?
      The code is in https://github.com/phreda4/reda4/blob/master/r4/Dev/graficos/rasterize2.txt
      From line 92 to 155

• By @Teejay_Cherian
      This is for a dissertation im working on  regarding procedural generation directed towards indie Developers so if you're an indie dev please feel free to share your thoughts
      Does run-time procedural generation limit the designer's freedom and flexibility? if( Have you ever implemented procedural generation ==true){ talk about  some of the useful algorithms used}  else {explain why you haven't} Do you think indie Devs are taking advantage of the benefits provided by procedural generation? What are some of the games that inspired you to take up procedural content generation? If there is anyway i can see your work regarding proc gen please mention the link ( cz i need actual indie developers to make a valid point in my dissertation) Thank You So Much
    • By electrolysing
      Hello,
      when I have multiple Threads, reading and writing to a scene graph, how do I synchronize data over several nodes?
      I.e. when a character with a gun moves, the gun moves with him. A thread dedicated to calculating matrices of both objects might update the character first but before it is able to recalculate the gun's matrix the render thread is already drawing both. Inevitably this causes the character and the gun to be out of sync...
      Now this doesn't only apply to the renderer but for the other threads, too.
  • Popular Now