3D How is it possible to locate pavement area of the roads in the scene?

Upon building a grid on the scene, how do I identity the pavement area of the road, if I build a grid on it, the grid cells will cover the center of the road plus the pavement, as in road network pathfinding, I need to separate them and treat pavement as blockers....

thanks

Jack

I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but maybe use an octree of the grid to check to see if an object is within the current grid, for a object with that a certain material, or identifier. If so, divide that grid by half and check both the smaller boxes. After narrowing it down enough, then use ray-testing.

Are you talking about excluding the road from a search area? Say like excluding it from the Open List of an algorithm like A*. If so I'm assuming you already have some internal structure representing Tiles. You could expound on this by adding an enumeration for type. like, uh, say

enum tile_type { ROAD, SIDE_WALK, DIRT, ECT };

And than just conditionally parse through your tiles come search time and omit the tiles you don't want in the proposed search area.

haha, manually tagging each one would be a pain for a large map. When you initially create your tiles, loop through them, and assign the respective tile type. So let's say, a trivial example, I'm utilizing an array for my data set for tile creation. 0 = side_walk, and 1 = road

like so:

int map [] = { 000000111000000
			   000000111000000 };

You may be using a different data set for your map creation, an image, a text file, whatever, but the key is to know what data you're working with to generate your tiles, and to give it meaning within your application.

So with the above example, since I've denoted 0 = side_walk, and 1 = road. I can loop through my dataset, and create my tiles with those appropriate types in mind

like so:

for (int i = 0; i < MY_ARRAY_SIZE; i++) 
{
	if (map[i] == 0) myMapVector.push_back(new Tile(SIDE_WALK));
    if (map[i] == 1) myMapVector.push_back(new Tile(ROAD));
}

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Mert Oguz
      well, i have started developing games last year, alone , I made a singleplayer 3d openworld rpg on unity you can look at it on googleplaystore ( kooru stone rpg ) whatever, this year, i wanted to make mmo, which gone really fine until I first try real hosting, I was working on "wamp" until then. The reason i am desperate now is that the way my game works.
      On my pc, using wamp mysql , with localhost as host for my game, i was testing my mmorpg with using andorid emulators, ofcourse no lag no issues no restrictions, beautiful dream... But then, I wanted to get real host from web, so, I rent a basic, cheaphest ever web host ( 10$ year ), and transferred my php files along with sql database. 
      So, I launched the game, still no issues, tried to handle 2-3 players by using my pc, phone, friend's phone...  
      After a while, ( after really short time (3-4mins)) host started not to respond, beacause those web hosting were not fit to handle mmos, i predicted that.
      now what i am explaining is that my game works like this and asking what way should i use to handle it :
      - Creates web request ( like : webhost.com/game/getplayerdata.php?ID=2 )
      -Reads request ( request result be like = "ID2-GoodGuyXx-23-123-4-123-43 )
      -Builds player using result string
      -does similar requests REEAALY FREQUENTLY  ( total requests of 8 - 12 times per seconds )
      With my current ultimate cheap web hosting, i can handle 2 players with low lag ( lol ) but, i want to handle around 20-100 players,
      just need a clear path, i have been struggling with google cloud sql and other vps server dedicated server options, i dont wanna pay much and get ripped off.
    • By Sri Harsha
      Hi,

I have a triangle,oriented in a 3D Plane i.e. I have my vertices as (x1,y1,z1) ; (x2,y2,z2) and (x3,y3,z3)
      I am trying to convert this triangular facet to voxelised model i.e.
      Along each edge,I am applying Bresenhams 3D Line algorithm and generating intermediate points.After generating intermediate points, I want to fill the inside region.
      I have been searching for some algorithm like flood filling,but did not find anything relevant till now.
      I would be really glad,if some one can provide an algorithm for achieving this.
      I basically have a List of tuple for storing all the (x,y,z) data created along the edges.(generated using Brsenhams 3D Line algorithm).
      Now,I want an algorithm,which creates cubes in the inside region.
    • By DavidMT
      A team has a position open for a 3D artist and/or modeler.
      Excellent opportunity to gain experience working with a team remotely. Great chance to extend your portfolio Candidates, if successful have the chance to join the team permanently with entry-level financial benefits. Revenue Share What they expect
      Excellent communication skills Portfolio of previous work If you are interested please attach a CV and/or relevant works to jobs@iamdavidmt.com

• By ForgedInteractive
      Who We Are
      We are Forged Interactive, a small team of like-minded game developers with the sole purpose of making games we love! Currently, we're progressing very quickly with our first project and there are plenty of opportunities and work for new interested programmers. With this project, our development platform is Unity 5.5.2 and C# as our behavioral language. Since this project is our first release, the game itself is a smaller project though progress is moving quickly. We are looking to finalize the current project and get started on future projects in the near future and are expanding our team to do so.

Who We Are Looking For:
      Programmer Level Designer  
      About the Game
      Ours is the tale of two siblings, thrown into a world of chaos. Living in the shadow of their parents' heroic deeds and their Uncle's colorful military career, Finn and Atia are about to become the next force to shape our world. How will you rise through the ranks of Hereilla and what will be your legacy? Once defeated your enemies turn coat and join you in your adventures. Players can enjoy a range of troops and abilities based on their gameplay style which become more important as maps introduce more challenging terrain, enemies and bosses. Strong orc knights, dangerous shamans, and even a dragon are out on the prowl. Knowing when to fight and when to run, and how to manage your army is essential. Your actions alone decide the fate of this world.

Previous Work by Team
      Although we are working towards our first game as Forged Interactive, our team members themselves have worked on titles including and not limited to:
      Final Fantasy Kingsglaive FIFA 2017 Xcom 2 Civilization  
      What do we expect?
      Reference work or portfolio. Examples what have you already done and what projects you have worked on academic or otherwise. The ability to commit to the project on a regular basis. If you are going on a two-week trip, we don't mind, but it would be good if you could commit 10+ hours to the project each week. Willingness to work with a royalty based compensation model, you will be paid when the game launches. Openness to learning new tools and techniques

What can we offer?
      Continuous support and availability from our side. You have the ability to give design input, and creative say in the development of the game. Shown in credits on websites, in-game and more. Insight and contacts from within the Industry.

Contact
      If you are interested in knowing more or joining, please email or PM us on Skype. A member of our management team will reply to you within 48 hours.

E-mail: Recruitment@ForgedInteractive.com

Regards,
      David, Colin and Joseph

Follow us on:
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ForgedInteractive/
      Twitter: @ForgedInteract
      Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpK3zhq5ToOeDpdI0Eik-Ug?view_as=subscriber
      Reddit: www.reddit.com/user/Forged_Interactive

• Popular Now