• Advertisement
Tungsten 98

New game prototype: R.O.W

Hi all,

This is my first post in GameDev (just joined the community earlier today). I have some basic programming experience in C++ and Java and would like to develop my skills further by game programming, and at the same time venture into game design to learn the skills of making a successful game that many will enjoy. Over the past few days I have developed a very simple mental maths game with Java which I named R.O.W (for Right Or Wrong, this name is temporary as this is a work in progress), the .jar file of which is attached in this post.

To play, the player looks at the equation at the center, and then clicks either the tick button (if the displayed equation is correct) or the cross button (if the displayed equation is wrong). If the player chooses the correct answer, (s)he gains a point, otherwise (s)he loses a life. The goal of the game is to score as many points as possible within a minute and avoid losing all three lives.

The basic mechanics of the game are set, and at this point I would like to ask for the GameDev Community's feedback. Essentially what I am looking for would be improvements I can make to the game in terms of gameplay, user interface, visuals, etc. in order to make the game marketable. For now the prototype is for PC but my end goal is to turn it into a mobile app for Android and iOS (aware that I will need to learn Swift for that) that users can download and play to keep them occupied while waiting for something (like 2048, Cookie Clicker, Flappy Bird, etc.).

Thank you all for your time,

Tungsten 98

ROW_alpha_02_game.zip

Edited by Tungsten 98

Advertisement

Hi, I tried out your program. Cool that you got a working piece!

However as a consumer of games and just from my life experience, I feel pretty confident in saying a game based on math is a bad idea. Can you think of any that were big hits? And I know most games have some mathematical aspects in them, but usually the game calculates the answers for you. Most people do not enjoy doing math, or if they do, they're at a much higher level than simple addition and subtraction.

The main demographic for mobile is children, teenagers and young adults. If you look at successful mobile games they're all very simple and very visual. If you want to stick to a snap-decision answer model, I might suggest something that has more to do with colors and shapes. If you really want something to do with numbers, counting questions might work alright (example: how many cats are there on screen).

And then aside from, there need to be more levels. Each successful round should award the player points that they can spend on something. Having a goal to work towards so they can buy "that thing" can keep some players in a game that might otherwise be a bit monotonous to them.

I was unable to successfully run your application. The buttons will not display, and appear to be invisible. I was able to make them work by just clicking everywhere and eventually finding the positions.

In terms of making a "consumer" game, don't worry about this if it isn't your goal to generate revenue. Make whatever you want and release it. To be honest, there might not be a big market for math games, but it all depends if you're pitching people in the education sector, or the everyday gamer.

I'm assuming you're new to game development, so keep making these types of games because they teach you a lot of the core concepts of what goes into a project. When you decide to go mobile it's not too default. I can usually copy and paste most of my JAVA android applications to SWIFT with ease. I just need to change a few things, and make sure I account for using a different library. SWIFT does things a bit different, so keep that in mind (variables can be defined or undefined for their type on initialization, c-style for loops have been removed, ect...) It's extremely easy to transition though!

Let me know if you can figure out why the buttons don't display. I can only see in game text.

I just want to second the idea of not worrying about "market interest" unless your goal is to make money.  What you should focus on are 2 questions really.

1. Is there a market (however small) that would like to find your "game" and play it?  If so it is worth making.

2. What can you do so that those people will find your game and give it a try. (this is basically a question of presentation and marketing).  A math game in the middle of the app store will probably not even get shown.  But the same math game when linked to from a "learning algebra" site would probably garner some interest.

Multiple categories, and they don't have to be mathematical.

(does the game make up the euqations btw ? question-lists for other categories would have to become quite long to be good)

Oh, and about market, there 's a good chance you ll have fewer competitors as well,

so we can give you our opinions, but to know for sure you 'll need to do some market-research.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:10 AM, Rutin said:

I was unable to successfully run your application. The buttons will not display, and appear to be invisible. I was able to make them work by just clicking everywhere and eventually finding the positions.

In terms of making a "consumer" game, don't worry about this if it isn't your goal to generate revenue. Make whatever you want and release it. To be honest, there might not be a big market for math games, but it all depends if you're pitching people in the education sector, or the everyday gamer.

I'm assuming you're new to game development, so keep making these types of games because they teach you a lot of the core concepts of what goes into a project. When you decide to go mobile it's not too default. I can usually copy and paste most of my JAVA android applications to SWIFT with ease. I just need to change a few things, and make sure I account for using a different library. SWIFT does things a bit different, so keep that in mind (variables can be defined or undefined for their type on initialization, c-style for loops have been removed, ect...) It's extremely easy to transition though!

Let me know if you can figure out why the buttons don't display. I can only see in game text.

Hi Rutin,

When you download the .zip folder, extract all files in the same directory. Within it is a folder called 'resources' that needs to be in the same directory as the .jar file for the buttons to load.

Thank you all so much for this valuable feedback, appreciate it.

Looks like further market research is my next step to take, to see if continuing to develop this project is still viable and if so, what I should include to make the app more appealing.

42 minutes ago, Tungsten 98 said:

When you download the .zip folder, extract all files in the same directory. Within it is a folder called 'resources' that needs to be in the same directory as the .jar file for the buttons to load.

I found out the reason. Windows associated the .jar with winRAR, and when I used open with JAVA Platform it wouldn't load the resource files, or create the highscore bin file. Once I set .jar to have JAVA Platform as the default it worked.

Best of luck with your venture.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Lode
      Hi,
      I'd like to present LogicEmu, a new logic circuit emulator working in the browser:
      http://lodev.org/logicemu/
      It's somewhat different from most logic circuit emulators, because it's cell based and internally with 2D ASCII diagrams, and it comes with a huge ton of circuits prebuilt which can be immediately selected from dropdowns to try out all kinds of cool stuff!
      How is it related to gamedev? It's an educational game, it's also vaguely like minecraft redstone, and may be useful for developing/testing/verifying such circuitry engines in games. It's open source on github to see how it works.
      Please let me know any feedback. Suggestions, bugs, overall impressions, critique, ... are all super welcome
      Thanks!

• By Atwo Studios
      Would anyone be able to offer up some advice on my resume as well as have any pointers/tips when applying to a game designer job?
      I've been applying everyday for over a month for positions ranging from internships to full time game designer positions.
      Any advice would be helpful!

Game Dev Resume.docx
    • By Fritz1
      QuizTime.live is a new quiz platform, a collection of skill games where you can win a LOT of money!
      The games are played in real time, with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 players.
      At special times there are tourneys, with an unlimited number of participants.
      The prize money depends on the number of players.

I would appreciate your feedback.
    • By oranssi
      This is an adult psychedelic fighting game with spirits of the natural elements. 
      Choose your character to represent an anthropomorphic version of the different elements. 
      Earth, fire, air, water and more. There are 28 Archelemental spirits to unlock. 
      Take on challenges to earn more goodies such as sexy content, story modes and even make your own Archelemental to play and to share it with others.
      Download here :
      https://oranssi.itch.io/archelementals-of-eiss

Trailer :
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmBNu_dPN_Y

• By FB Fresh
      I would like to know if there are any game developers/ designers who could spare a few minutes for an email/ phone call interview if so please let me know ASAP very much appreciated thank you.
    • By Gezu
      Hi,
      I'm creating 3D environment for our side-scroller platformer game Warriorb. I use Blender for creating props and UE4 as game engine. My aim is to create different looking and feeling area types while keeping the same art style. I go for something between stylized and realistic. I don't use much detail because I don't have much time for each area. I've attached some examples. If you have any tip on how to improve my scenes I would be glad to hear it!

• By Light Yagami
      Hello everybody,
      This is my first time doing anything like this and I need some advice. As part of my school assignment, I need to create an educational video game about mutation. Here is my idea - there are three levels, each level has two arcade type games and the number of points earned in each game is the level of mutation you can cause to your character. Ultimately in each level, the mutations you cause to your character in the game will result in how ready they will be for the boss battle at the end of each level. The first two levels will have an interactive text battle and level three will have animation. I need help creating this game and feedback to make it easier because of the time constraint. I will keep updating on how the game is but this is my first time with Unity so I would appreciate any sort of feedback. 
      My game design document is attached if any of you want further details on the game. 
      Game Design Development Template.docx
    • By CrazyApplesStudio
      Hello,
       I managed to finish my first Android Game from A-Z in about 2 months, the game was planed to be an endless game since as a solo Dev i thought it would be easier to finish , it was created using Unity/blender3d and i made everything except for the music tracks.
       Currently i am looking for feedback, especially about mechanics and game play, especially since i found out this is the hardest thing while developing as and indie , i seem to be able to get 0 feedback from most communities i posted in so i hope i will have more luck here.
      A short game play trailer:

The game is Free and available on Google Play Store:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyApplesStudio.ApplesMania
      So feel free to comment , critiques are appreciated, even if they are harsh, since that is what will help me improve the game.
      Also the website for the project : http://crazyapplesstudio.com/
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ApplesStudio
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApplesManiaX/

• By DreamHack Activities
      3 Reasons Indies Should Apply for DreamHack's New Activities
      Coming to Austin June 1-3

We're expanding our DreamHack events to encompass a "Gaming Lifestyle" approach. So basically we're bringing a ton of new content to the already massive show that focuses on Indies, Tabletop, Films, Students, Art, and more. Of course this means we're making everything we're already doing even bigger and more awesome such as Esports, LAN, Music, Expo, and pretty much everything else.
      The Top 3 Activities Indies Should Apply For...
      1. Indie Playground: The Indie Playground is a curated area where games entered into our competition before the event have a chance to win a complimentary booth to showcase their game. The selected games are organized into 12 genre categories that are reflected in the layout of the Indie Playground. Multiple titles are selected for each genre ensuring attendees will enjoy as many indie titles as possible. It's free to enter and those selected will score a FREE 10'x10' booth. We're pretty flexible on what you can send us. If you're not finished with your game yet you can definitely still submit. We've judged and accepted tons of unfinished video games, tabletop, etc. before.
      Entry form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-IndiePlayground
      Deadline: April 20, 2018

2. Game Pitch Championship: The Game Pitch Championship was created to help build the skills you need to successfully get your product out there. Many developers are talented and either nail the build they have to show but don’t really nail the business plan or they nail the business plan and not the build. With a pitch, you have a short time to impress so you need to nail it all. This competition will not only help hone your skills with industry vets guiding your progress through the competition, but you’ll win accolades too. You could also win $2,500!
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GamePitchChamp
      Prize: $2,500 USD

3. Art Gallery: Exactly as it sounds, our gallery showcases some of the most amazing artists in video games, tabletop, comics, anime, and more. DreamHack staff select a number of works then we just print cool art on canvas for FREE—your game gets a slice of advertising while our fans enjoy a non-TV wall on the expo floor. It doesn't even require you to be onsite for the event, so this one should be a no-brainer.
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GameArtGallery

Good luck!! Reach out to sydney.mantrom@dreamhack.com for questions.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!