• Advertisement
Moon Yeah

Gameplay Dance dance revolution C++

Hi everyone !

I'm new to this forum, i've discovered it today and he seems really interesting ! 

To introduce myself i'm a beginner in game programming in general, never done it before... i have 1 year of C++ with me and 1 month of OpenGL at this moment... few days ago i had the idea to create a dance dance revolution like game for educational purpose only i made some research on the internet and i've found something called stepmania, an open source version of DDR, another thing called "FMOD" that allows me to detect BPM from a song and also "SDL" which is a 2D library you can use for making 2D games. 

Thanks to my research i started to get an idea how how i could develop that kind of gameplay with all of these elements but unfortunatly it is too difficult for me to detect beat and bars from a song so i checked for another solution and i found that stepmania was using a special file format called "*.sm" file where many infos are stored such as song bpm, artist name, arrows that appears during the song etc... so i tough about making a program that parse the selected sm file, stores the datas from it and displaying the sm file's arrows on the screen in order to reproduce the DDR gameplay but i also have trouble doing this because i have never done file parsing before...

I'm a bit lost in this part... if anyone have any advice or wants to help me i will really appreciate it.

Thank your reading.

Regards.

ps : sorry for my english.

Advertisement

For that type of game, the program does not detect the beats or do any that work as the game plays.  Instead the game designer builds a save file that matches each music track. The file contains the time for the arrow, the arrow to play, how far and similar information. They fine-tune the values for the desired difficulty, they make patterns that feel fun to the player and are reasonable to hit with fun combo patterns and such.

So it looks like you've still got a lot of learning to do.

You will need to learn about file reading. You will probably want to build your own custom file format.

You'll need the ability to handle timing to make your data match your data.

You'll need the ability to play music, FMOD can do that.

You'll need the ability do handle the input of pushing buttons on the screen, and you'll need something to display which it sounds like you're working on with SDL and OpenGL.

You'll probably want your own custom tool to build and edit your data files.

Keep in mind that you also realy need to save the time an input occured otherwise could fall to frustrated players hitting corrently but the game false reacts for input lags

Hi all, thank you for your replies i really appreciate it ! for the moment i have something like this : 

I still have a lot to do but i really want to have something "playable" in the beginning... and then add the "music part" later, i will maybe use midi files or sm ones i don't know for the moment ! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Jemme
      Hello,
      I have built games in the past in unity and XNA, android SDK etc. but it’s always been quite specific, when building a small Game Engine or more accurately a sub-set of code that is reusable across projects the tendency to structure the project falls towards composition of objects that are more "generic" than toward inheritance-based models.
      For the Engine specific sub-systems, we have components such as a MeshInstance/Renderer that contains a Handle to a Mesh in a MeshLibary and a handle to a Material from the material library which in turn hold PSO data etc. We can also have Components such as SoundSorce, which are managed by an AudioSystem and contains the data to specify what sound, at what volume etc.
      These systems can be Set up and shut down from within the Engine/Game class such as:
      void Engine::Run() { if (Initialize()) { //Main loop call the systems //Dispatch Events } ShutDown(); } void Engine::Initialize() { //Init all sub-systems FileSystem.Init(); RenderSystem.Init(); PhysicsSystem.Init(); AudioSystem.Init(); WorldManager.Init(); //Creats Entities } void Engine::ShutDown() { //shutdown all sub-systems WorldManager.ShutDown(); AudioSystem.ShutDown(); PhysicsSystem.ShutDown(); RenderSystem.ShutDown(); FileSystem.ShutDown(); } But where does logic go? in smaller games like XNA or SFML you generally create some managers, let’s take the example of darkest dungeon.
      They have various managers like:
      Darkest Dungeon Manager Campaign Selection Manager Estate manager Party formation manager Town manager etc.. All the logic and systems to run the game are based within the managers, and objects contain scripts of data that are fed thorough the systems.
      In a small reusable code base how would you separate the logic from the engine, should like the smaller games all the managers just be shoved into the Engine Class even though that goes against a reusable data-driven framework? Should they just be stuck in a GameLogic system that's is initialized in the Engine Initialism function. And how do people tend to connect data scripts to the other various engine systems without causing too much game specific coupling. For example, you can use an Event System, but firing and event such as DAMAGED_BY_ZOMBIE and having the internal engine respond to that seems to break the separation from the low-high level of the engine system.
      Would be great to here some opinions from the community on this subject as it is quite a vital and potentially problem prone aspect of engine/game development.
      Thanks.
    • By zminusone
      Over ninety minutes of solemn gloom and Gothic epicness, with faint glimmers of hope shimmering here and there...
      https://zminusone.bandcamp.com/album/unworthy-ost
      Hi, I just released the soundtrack to the new indie game Unworthy. I had fun making it and thought maybe some people around here would have fun listening to it!
      Cheers!
    • By CpawsMusic
      **The game must be in the final stages of development and be close to release. Willing to do SFX or Music for free since Horror games heavily interest me.**
      Hey there! My name is Cpaws and I compose music, sound effects and overall sound design for video games and film. I've worked on numerous games and I'm looking to specifically pick up a Horror game.
      If you're interested in working together, don't hesitate to contact me at cpawsmusic@gmail.com
      Here's a few demo reels of my past projects: 
      Game Music I've Composed: https://soundcloud.com/cpawsmusic/sets/cpaws-video-game-film-music
      Website/Portfolio: https://CpawsMusic.com/
      E-mail: cpawsmusic@gmail.com
    • By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Summer Sale on the Unreal Engine Marketplace -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 60% OFF - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/colossal-game-music-collection

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
    • By WillderBeezy
      This is a rescore of several Sin scenes from Final Fantasy X, put into an epic cinematic with accompanying, original soundtrack!

• By Helgraves
      Hello!
      I am seeking a few team members to help me run some survival sandbox game servers through a 3rd party hosting site. My goal is to replace "official" servers in the sense that our servers offer the best experience for players of all types (not easy to do!). Why do I need a team for this? Because the game we are working with has far more potential than most people realize - it is my hope that I can bring a better ruleset to the table that focuses more on fun-factor than a genre label.
      My end-game goal is to run quite a few long-term small MRPG servers across multiple games/platforms (platforms of course based on availability of supported server hosting). Personally, I see multiplayer and co-op gamers gravitating towards a more personal experience with small, MRPG servers, as opposed to something like an MMORPG.
      Current Progress:
      Design Document
      Server Patch Notes
      A little about me:
      I took 6 years of high school and have zero college education Zero game/software development experience Hate math, can't code, also can't create any type of art assets Musician of almost 30 years Work on songwriting and music production in a metal band based in my region Only have hobbies for things I'm passionate about, have had some success professionally, with more to come Can I build a toaster, no, but I can tell you exactly how it should work without confusing you That being said, I have made a lot of progress this year on my own - and currently have one server up and running. I am at a point now where I need to construct a small team to help me get my other servers up and running, as well as adding/creating custom content. 
      Currently looking for:
      1-2 x Mod Developers 1 x Server Administrator You must have access to the game we are running our server on, as well as any other tools that are needed to get the job done (like Unreal 4 engine, software development tools, etc.)
      I am more than willing to provide information as requested for anyone interested!
      Thank you for your time,
      Helgraves
    • By Hashbrown
      Hopefully this is a simple question for some of you. I've managed to create a nice fly cam:

...but now I'd like to make a standard fps control. If I keep the y axis at 0, I don't fly up or down and I obviously move around at y0, but if I look down, my player slows down. Keep in mind, I'm using my own little engine btw.
      I'm guessing this has to do to the fact that my w,a,s,d forward vectors are calculated using the model matrix which also calculated XYZ rotation. Making a google search, I found this link, but it's an Unreal related question, and on top of that using their graphical blueprint whatever you call it. But it's pretty much the same question and (I'm guessing) possible answer.
      What I think I should do
      Should I make a completely different model matrix that ignores the X and Z axis which I can use for the player's movement? I'm a little confused in what I can do, and I can't find anything on Google that isn't THREE.js or Unity related.
      I'm pretty sure I have to disconnect the look controls from the movement controls. I'd like to be able to move towards where I'm looking without flying up or down, but at the same time be able to apply gravity at some point. But for now, I'd really like to solve that "look down move slow" issue. 
      Thanks all for your support. Below I'll share some of the code I wrote for the movement.

// Controls flyCam(camSpeed) { if (Game.Input.Key.rightArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateX(camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.leftArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateX(-camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.upArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateY(-camSpeed); } if (Game.Input.Key.downArrow.down) { Game.camera.translateY(camSpeed); } Game.camera.transform.rotation.y += Game.Input.Mouse.delta.x * (200.0 / Game.Renderer.width/2) * Game.Time.step; Game.camera.transform.rotation.x += Game.Input.Mouse.delta.y * (200.0 / Game.Renderer.height/2) * Game.Time.step; } // TranslateXYZ translateX (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.right.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.right.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.right.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } translateY (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.up.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.up.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.up.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } translateZ (speed) { this.transform.position.x += this.transform.forward.x * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.y += this.transform.forward.y * speed * Game.Time.step; this.transform.position.z += this.transform.forward.z * speed * Game.Time.step; } // Model Matrix Mat4.translate(translation, this.position.x, this.position.y, this.position.z); Mat4.scale(scale, this.scale.x, this.scale.y, this.scale.z); Mat4.rotateX(rotateX, this.rotation.x); Mat4.rotateY(rotateY, this.rotation.y); Mat4.rotateZ(rotateZ, this.rotation.z); Mat4.mul(rotateXY, rotateY, rotateX); Mat4.mul(rotation, rotateXY, rotateZ); Mat4.mul(rotScale, rotation, scale); Mat4.mul(model, translation, rotScale); // Update Direction Mat4.transformVec4(this.forward, FWD, model); Mat4.transformVec4(this.up, UP, model); Mat4.transformVec4(this.right, RIGHT, model);  
    • By drcrack
      It is a combination of fundamental RPG elements and challenging, session-based MOBA elements. Having features such as creating your unique build, customizing your outfit and preparing synergic team compositions with friends, players can brave dangerous adventures or merciless arena fights against deadly creatures and skilled players alike.

More info: https://zealrpg.com/about
    • By Gnollrunner
      I wanted to get some thoughts on player character collisions in MMOs for my project.   As I recall the original Everquest had them, however WoW didn’t. I also remember Age of Conan had them but I’m guessing they were done on the server which was highly annoying because you could collide with things that were unseen. I’m not sure how EQ did them but I don’t remember having this problem in EQ, but it was a long time ago.

My general idea as to do player collisions on the client side. A collision would only affect a given clients player character as seem from that client. On the server, characters would pass right through each other.  This means that because of lag, two players might see different things during a collision or one may think there was a collision while the other doesn’t, but I figure that’s less annoying than colliding with something you can’t see and everything should resolve at some point.

There is one more case which I can see being a bit problematic but I think there might be a solution (actually my friend suggested it).  Suppose two characters run to the same spot at the same time.  At the time they reached the spot it was unoccupied but once the server updates each other’s position, they both occupy the same space. In this case after the update, a force vector is applied to each character that tries to push them away from each other. The vector is applied by each client to its own player. So basically player to player collisions aren’t necessarily absolute.

I was also thinking you could generalize this and allow players to push each other.  When two players collide their bounding capsule would be slightly smaller than the radius where the force vector would come into play. So if you stood next to another player and pushed he would move.  By the vector rules he is pushing back on you (or rather your own client is pushing) but since your movement vector could overcome the collision force vector, only he moves unless he decides to push back. You could add mass calculation to this, so larger characters could push around smaller characters more easily.

Of course there are griefing aspects to this, but I was thinking I would handle that with a reputation/faction system. Any thoughts?

• By JandersonComp
      My name is Jonathan Anderson. I am a professional composer with multiple publications. I have a degree in music composition from the University of North Texas and I have been writing music for over 20 years. If you would like a list of my accomplishments I would be more than happy to email you my resume.
      More to the point. This is my demo reel.

Character Themes - 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rt0B8EtRB0&list=PLsrxKkfCBcOgUNR8DpkRsAd0RUd7g0BWr
      Final Fantasy Style Piano Solo - 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kuI5P1BL8
      Chiptune - 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCNM-1MP9A

While my demos advertise a significantly large range of composition styles it does not encompass my entire range.

I have been working with people in both professional and personal settings for over 14 years now and am extremely easy to work with. I believe that music in many ways can make or break a game and it is my goal to provide your game with the musical life that you desire and it deserves.
      If you are interested in using my services you can contact me via email at jm.thedora.anderson@gmail.com
      Discord J.Anderson#0571

Thank you for your interest!

-Jonathan
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!