Hi Guys,

My name is Serghei, I live in Moldova and I have a question:

Can I copy a game's functionality legally?

What I mean is that I want to make a game based on another game's idea/functionality. 

The game I am referring to is http://utopia-game.com initially my game will be 90% the same, in the future I will make changes and it will become slightly different, but initially I want to keep it simple. I don't want to copy the game's graphics or soung, just everything else ;) 

Thanks for your time, have a nice day

Yes. Totally legal. For reference, see: every platformer ever.

Don't impinge on their "trade dress" (or your local legally equivalent term) and there should be no issues, and you've already said you don't plan to do that.

That said, I don't live in your country, I am not licensed to practice law there, I am not YOUR lawyer, and accordingly you should not consider this legal advice.

You just can't copy anything they have patented or any of there IP. Because they use common fantasy elements you could redesign a lot of the game without having too many concerns.

One warning this looks like a dedicated community, so chances are that these players won't abandon the game for a new one. It also doesn't look like the type of game that is going to draw a lot of players.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By nr_clark
      Hi all,
      I'm a developer part of a small team designing a sandbox MMO. It's just a collaborative team (all in the US), meaning that all members just contribute their free time to advance the project. 
      Well, a programmer booted from another (very similar) MMO sandbox project wanted to help out with our own, even after knowing our project was collaborative (I'll call him Bob). According to our current programmer (I'll call him John), Bob has very advanced skills in multiple syntax, and Bob's supposedly-self-made script packages & suggested tweaks to John's existing code have really helped John advance the sandbox mechanics.
      From what the team understands, Bob was rumored to steal code from the other project, after calling the project's other programmer out for being unskilled, and in turn that programmer (who was favorited by the project manager) turned the team against him in the most political fashion. 
      Even though the team was nervous on recruiting Bob, Bob was very pushy about obtaining a programmer role. For now, we've added Bob to the Unity collab to access the project. The project has a git repository setup which keeps all added code intact and secure. 
      I'm just a 3D modeler/sound designer, so while I cannot elaborate on the project's coding specifics, I do know potential implications something like this could cause. Bob's existing script packages could be copyrighted, from what I understand. Also, I felt suspicious when Bob wanted to jump into our project so quickly. If it makes any difference in the legal sense, Bob lives in the UK. What would you recommend would be the best approach to this situation?
      TIA.
    • By hyyou
      Questions :-
      To sell a C++ game library/framework/engine, does it usually have to be open-sourced?  For a C++ template class (real template), it is quite hard not to be open-sourced, correct? If it is open-sourced, how to protect the copyright? How to enforce people to just use it, but not copy? ... I think it is practically very hard, because people can see the source code, and "rewrite" it. Does a shop like Unity's asset store make thing safer?  If so, how? Arrogant assumption :-
      The game library/framework/engine is high-quality, well-documented, and it would be marvellously sell well. Besides some free libraries like Bullet and Ogre, it is developed all by myself. The library/framework/engine is not bound to any legal obligation (e.g. the most restriction is MIT). I have these questions after reading a news  :-
      Muhagames develop a game named Thea Awakening (C#). The company use its own Honey Hex Framework (C#) as a library to develop the game. The company sell Honey Hex Framework via Unity's asset store to boost its financial position. There are also others old examples e.g. Unity itself or Unreal, which is now open-source ... How do they protect it?
      Actually, I don't plan to sell any library. I am just curious.
    • By hpdvs2
      I have several Unity Assets I'm planning to publish through my current employer to the Unity Asset Store.  But I'm worried about legal protection.  I'm not really sure how to protect myself or my company from potential law suits.  Not that I'm expecting them.  
      It seems like I need to hire a lawyer to draft a EULA, but I'm wondering if there is some standard EULA that basically says use at your own risk.  Or if there is an article that talks clearly to this topic.
       - Thanks.
      The products will be 100% self developed code, and self developed models, no fan art  With Source Code included
    • By Rancorb
      I have some graphics from a graphic designer of full screen gameplay mock-ups. Unfortunately he is no longer available to work on the project but I still like his concept. Would there be any problem with myself or another graphic designer using his design mock-ups as the basis to create the actual graphics for a game? Essentially it would mean copying / recreating the individual graphical elements to use in game.
      My instinct is that it should be fine but I don't want to step on any legal toes.
    • By Alex_hbg
      Hi I am UK based and I'm recently forming a team to develop a game. I'm the lead developer and will be bringing on ~5 other artists to create content such as models, textures and music.

For the moment, I have not formed an official company, to avoid the time sink of all the paperwork, contract writing and so on. But without agreements/contracts/licences in place as I understand it, an artist on my team could pull out at any moment and reserve the right to take all their content with them.

To prevent this, I would like to have them upload their content to my website when they are done with it, and to include a licence in that directory that says something along the lines of

"By uploading your content files to this directory, you agree to transfer ownership of your files to the lead developer Alex Lynch, in exchange for payment from the revenue of the game".

I hope this would be enough, until I form a real company and get signed contracts from them.
  • Popular Now