• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kostile

NeonAndroid Space Shooter WIP

NeonAndroid:

This is a new game that has been in development for quite some time and is still a WIP. It's initialrelease will be for Android followed by a release for Windows and Linux. It is very similar to GeoWars which I'm sure many are familiar with.

To download, head to http://solumgames.com

This is currently a demo that I am releasing for testing. It should work on most mid range to high end android devices. Some of the things you can expect when playing is infinite play with dynamically scaling difficulty. Enemies will spawn with increasing difficulty and at an increased rate varying upon your score. There are a few enemies with very different behaviors so that it doesn't feel like you are killing The same things that just look different. The shaders in the game add for a very nice and pleasing to look at neon effect. The game is written in C# and uses monogame. It runs pretty well on two devices that I have tested it on, the LG G6 and the LG Nexus 5. 

Capture_2017-09-01-11-57-07.png

There are multiple weapons to choose from. Right now there is no indicator for which weapon you have activated. Tapping the buttons to the left will activate and deactivate each weapon. You can have all weapons running at the same time right now but with future versions, that will likely change. Each weapon type is upgradeable and more upgrades are coming as well. Currently the laser does not have any upgrades. Your are given two points per level. Some upgrades do cost more than one point. If you upgrade your health you will notice that it does not replenish. The GUI is going have a very different theme to it once I release the full version, the buttons are small and the menu tabs are as well. To upgrade your weapons you will select the tab with the corresponding weapon name, tap the + button distribute points and click apply to confirm. You can select the minus to remove points only if you haven't applied them before. 

Capture_2017-09-01-12-00-12.png

There are quite a few known issues that I am working on, but it is in a very playable state. Some things you should be aware of if you decide to test out the game.

The controls work by pressing and holding either side of the screen and using the virtual joysticks that appear where you press. The left side will control movement and the right side will control the crosshair.

There are sound effects and music but they are disabled as of right now. 

You can leave the battlefield, You may encounter lag spikes, The difficulty scales very quickly, The Tutorial button on the main menu will not do anything, there may be other minor or major bugs and if you notice one please don't hesitate to inform me.

Edited by kostile

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By lucky6969b
      like this?

const D3DXMATRIX robertx = D3DXMATRIX(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1);
    • By bojanzarnoski@gmx.de
      Hello,
      I want to get into coding again by programming a 2D platformer to get started, but i don't know if i should use Java or C# with the unity engine.
      I am pretty fit with Java, but with c# i have to start from scratch. What do you recommend and why?
    • By 3dmodelerguy
      So I have this code to create a textbox ui element with SDL2 and for the most part it works:
      #include <iostream> #include "TextboxUi.hpp" #include "../Engine/Text.hpp"; #include "../Utility/SdlUtility.hpp"; #include "../Engine/Game.hpp"; TextboxUi::TextboxUi(int x, int y, int width, int height, SDL_Color backgroundColor, SDL_Color textColor) { _background = {x, y, width, height}; _backgroundColor = backgroundColor; _textColor = textColor; } void TextboxUi::setValue(std::string value) { _value = value; } void TextboxUi::handleInput(SDL_Event &event) { switch (event.type) { case SDL_TEXTINPUT: { if (_isActive) { _value += event.text.text; _cursorPosition += 1; } break; } case SDL_TEXTEDITING: { break; } case SDL_KEYUP: { switch (event.key.keysym.sym) { case SDLK_BACKSPACE: if (_value.size() == 0) { break; } _cursorPosition -= 1; _value.erase(_cursorPosition, 1); break; case SDLK_s: { if (!_isActive) { _isActive = true; } break; } case SDLK_LEFT: { if (_cursorPosition == 0) { break; } _cursorPosition -= 1; break; } case SDLK_RIGHT: { if (_cursorPosition == _value.size()) { break; } _cursorPosition += 1; break; } case SDLK_ESCAPE: _isActive = false; _value = ""; break; default: break; } break; } default: break; } } void TextboxUi::enable() { _isActive = true; } void TextboxUi::disable() { _isActive = false; } void TextboxUi::draw(SDL_Renderer* renderer) { SdlUtility::setRenderDrawColor(Game::renderer, _backgroundColor); SDL_RenderFillRect(Game::renderer, &_background); // if there is no text Text would fail to create the surface and texture (not quite sure why) if (_value.size() == 0) { return; } Text text = Text("Assets/Fonts/Vera.ttf", 12, _value, _textColor); text.display(_background.x + 5, _background.y + 2); // @todo implement visual for text cursor } The one last thing I want to do before I call this textbox done for the time being is try to figure out how to simulate a cursor. At this point just getting a solid cursor would be final (though ultimately I would like to have it blinking. I have the cursor position so I know between which characters the cursor should be however I am not sure how to calculate that.
      Is there a way to calculate the width of a given string without actually rendering said sting to the screen with SDL2 / SDL2_ttf?
    • By DevAndroid
      Hello everyone,
      I'm trying to display a 2D texture to screen but the rendering isn't working correctly.
      First of all I did follow this tutorial to be able to render a Text to screen (I adapted it to render with OpenGL ES 2.0) : https://learnopengl.com/code_viewer.php?code=in-practice/text_rendering
      So here is the shader I'm using :
      const char gVertexShader[] = "#version 320 es\n" "layout (location = 0) in vec4 vertex;\n" "out vec2 TexCoords;\n" "uniform mat4 projection;\n" "void main() {\n" " gl_Position = projection * vec4(vertex.xy, 0.0, 1.0);\n" " TexCoords = vertex.zw;\n" "}\n"; const char gFragmentShader[] = "#version 320 es\n" "precision mediump float;\n" "in vec2 TexCoords;\n" "out vec4 color;\n" "uniform sampler2D text;\n" "uniform vec3 textColor;\n" "void main() {\n" " vec4 sampled = vec4(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, texture(text, TexCoords).r);\n" " color = vec4(textColor, 1.0) * sampled;\n" "}\n"; The render text works very well so I would like to keep those Shaders program to render a texture loaded from PNG.
      For that I'm using libPNG to load the PNG to a texture, here is my code :
      GLuint Cluster::loadPngFromPath(const char *file_name, int *width, int *height) { png_byte header[8]; FILE *fp = fopen(file_name, "rb"); if (fp == 0) { return 0; } fread(header, 1, 8, fp); if (png_sig_cmp(header, 0, 8)) { fclose(fp); return 0; } png_structp png_ptr = png_create_read_struct(PNG_LIBPNG_VER_STRING, NULL, NULL, NULL); if (!png_ptr) { fclose(fp); return 0; } png_infop info_ptr = png_create_info_struct(png_ptr); if (!info_ptr) { png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, (png_infopp)NULL, (png_infopp)NULL); fclose(fp); return 0; } png_infop end_info = png_create_info_struct(png_ptr); if (!end_info) { png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, (png_infopp) NULL); fclose(fp); return 0; } if (setjmp(png_jmpbuf(png_ptr))) { png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, &end_info); fclose(fp); return 0; } png_init_io(png_ptr, fp); png_set_sig_bytes(png_ptr, 8); png_read_info(png_ptr, info_ptr); int bit_depth, color_type; png_uint_32 temp_width, temp_height; png_get_IHDR(png_ptr, info_ptr, &temp_width, &temp_height, &bit_depth, &color_type, NULL, NULL, NULL); if (width) { *width = temp_width; } if (height) { *height = temp_height; } png_read_update_info(png_ptr, info_ptr); int rowbytes = png_get_rowbytes(png_ptr, info_ptr); rowbytes += 3 - ((rowbytes-1) % 4); png_byte * image_data; image_data = (png_byte *) malloc(rowbytes * temp_height * sizeof(png_byte)+15); if (image_data == NULL) { png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, &end_info); fclose(fp); return 0; } png_bytep * row_pointers = (png_bytep *) malloc(temp_height * sizeof(png_bytep)); if (row_pointers == NULL) { png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, &end_info); free(image_data); fclose(fp); return 0; } int i; for (i = 0; i < temp_height; i++) { row_pointers[temp_height - 1 - i] = image_data + i * rowbytes; } png_read_image(png_ptr, row_pointers); GLuint texture; glGenTextures(1, &texture); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture); glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_ZERO, GL_RGB, temp_width, temp_height, GL_ZERO, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image_data); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_R, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, &end_info); free(image_data); free(row_pointers); fclose(fp); return texture; } This code just generates the texture and I store the id on memory
      And then I want to display my texture on any position (X, Y) of my screen so I did the following (That's works, at least the positioning).
      //MY TEXTURE IS 32x32 pixels ! void Cluster::printTexture(GLuint idTexture, GLfloat x, GLfloat y) { glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glBindVertexArray(VAO); GLfloat vertices[6][4] = { { x, y + 32, 0.0, 0.0 }, { x, y, 0.0, 1.0 }, { x + 32, y, 1.0, 1.0 }, { x, y + 32, 0.0, 0.0 }, { x + 32, y, 1.0, 1.0 }, { x + 32, y + 32, 1.0, 0.0 } }; glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, idTexture); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, VBO); glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL_ZERO, sizeof(vertices), vertices); glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL_ZERO); glUniform1i(this->mTextShaderHandle, GL_ZERO); glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, GL_ZERO, 6); } My .png is a blue square.
      The result is that my texture is not loaded correctly. It is not complete and there are many small black spots. I don't know what's going on ? It could be the vertices or the load ? Or maybe I need to add something on the shader. I don't know, I really need help.
      Thanks !
    • By LuigiLuigi
      I've been working on my own Metroidvania via GameMaker Studio for the past few years. You play as a bat named Ralph as he goes on an adventure to obtain 7 Crystal Medallions hidden in dungeons with the help of a cult known as the Crimson Fog. Along the way, there will be quests unlocked in Cedrus Village as you progress through the game. I've managed to complete a demo of the game up to the first dungeon and boss fight.
      I have only a PC build available, and the only gamepads I managed to install were Logitech Precision and Xbox PC gamepads. I had some trouble on gamepad detection though, so they may have connection issues. The desktop controls are similar to Terarria's control scheme if it's too much trouble. I don't have any music at this point, I'll need to get someone else to compose it later on. The music I make isn't bad, but it doesn't fit the aesthetic that well.
      I'm really hoping I can get feedback regarding the general content.
      Crimson Fog.0.2.zip
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!