• Advertisement

Crashed the Unreal engine, no idea why... x_x

Well, the class below is the only thing I messed with, is the player blueprint for the worm game, so the bug is 100% in the image below, problem is that I don't have the slightest idea of how to debug it x_x

Though if someone feels brave enough and wants to take a look, I have commented the section with what I think and hope my code is doing, but probably is not... :S

Basically my whole reasoning was this:

We start driving the "Head" of the worm, when we Hit a Pickup then we use its location to initialize a new StaticMesh and store it in the Array of StaticMeshes that represents the "body blocks" of the Worm, and of course the last element we added thus the last index is always the (new) "Head".

So to update the position my idea was that every index starting from 0 and except the last is set to the position of the index in front of it, and then the last index (the Head) moves in the direction of the key pressed (since it has no other block to follow).

Also we don't update position the turn we hit the pickup because the rest of the body don't move and the the new head is added where the pickup was.

I also put a poor quality video below so you see Unreal engine exploding xD  Blue is the Worm, green is the Pickup. By the way, also notice that the blocks of the body even though being added and showing up at the correct location, are not moving at all... :|

http://i.imgur.com/Ytaq2Yv.mp4

ImageLink

hvvaX9y.png

Edited by MarcusAseth

Advertisement

Ok, works, turns out I wasn't understanding correctly what my TArray was storing and was giving me back, is an Array of pointers and I was replacing the pointers to the StaticMeshesComponent, I was slightly mislead by the documentation because the method Get says it returns a copy by Value so I got confused and messed up xD

Video below to prove it works, so I can go back to polish and finish it :P

http://i.imgur.com/gyeHJG1.mp4

Should make a mental note of taking a 1 hour break and try again after it instead of panicking and create a useless post x_x

Edited by MarcusAseth

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Terry Jin
      Hi everyone! 

I am from an indie studio that has received funding for our concept and is ready to create the next generation 2D Pokemon-inspired MMORPG called Phantasy World. This ad is for a volunteer position but hopefully will transition into something more. Our vision is to create a game that draws inspiration from the series but is dramatically different in both aesthetics and gameplay as the work would be our own.

We are hoping that you can help us make this a reality and are looking for game developers familiar with the unreal engine and would be happy to work on a 2D top down game. Sprite artists are also welcome as we are in desperate need of talented artists! Join our discord and let's have a chat! https://discord.gg/hfDxwDX

Here's a teaser as to what our in game characters look like when moving in the game world! Hope to see you soon!

• By nihitori
      The Heavy Metal Vol. II pack focuses on powerful heavy metal/hard rock music, perfect for energetic, fast-paced, and challenging action games.

The pack includes 5 original tracks, all available as both full tracks and seamless loops, so that you can very easily use them in your games.

Unity Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/110450
      Unreal Engine Marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/heavy-metal-vol-ii

A 15 seconds preview of each main track is available on Soundcloud:

• By chuksphil12
      i am just starting to learn c++ and i  want to know exactly which free engine will be okay for a beginner to make games
    • By Ahrakeen
      PRogrammer needed, for either game maker or unreal.
      Need help putting together a turn based strategic combat system ala disgaea or trouble shooters.
      Also to help with user interface menus and world map

We are putting together a game project over several chapters we got the graphics and design mostly done for the prologue but will need the code to make it work ultimately
    • By i3di
      Heroes & Legend is an epic fantasy role play game that I believe will set new standards in role playing.  Featuring a rich audio score of over 50+ sound tracks.  Currently the game has four on board developers, designers, programmers, and music composers.  I am taking on eight more people that are dedicated.  You may view six of our audio scores in our first audio enticement video here:
      Vimeo:
      YouTube:

Gamedev - Project:
      Gamedev - Blog
      Company Website - Under Construction
      http://www.i3dix.com

Summary:
      We are looking for artists familiar with iClone7, iClone Character Creator 2, Blender, PBR, and the 3D Exchange Pipeline.  We also need some entry level to proficient Unreal 4 Developers who can help in getting World Max - I, our premier procedural world generator out on Unreal 4 market.  This procedural world generator utilizes a 2D Vector Database for SRTM and Natural Earth database importing or creating large worlds smaller or larger than earth with latitude, longitude, Bathymetry and topographical overlay.  I am a 25+ year software engineer in charge of the company and would be considered a 10+ year software engineer.
      Also, I am taking on a couple positions for Java Developers to create our companies premier Content Management System complete with a Web Hosting Module, Project Management Module, Subversion Module, interacting on a Linux System with a LAMP + T setup, subversion repository, who can also manage Network Administration.  Assets are synched via one-drive, projects maintained via private GitHub repositories.  
      Will train applicants, so don't be a cissy, try me, and let's see if you have what it takes to be a partner.
      All potential partners must sign a company NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and Business Agreement via DocuSign.  Profit share on all products is 0.025% of the 10% quarterly budgeted net for payment.  If you think you have what this takes, then I look forward to hearing from you. 
  • Advertisement