Sign in to follow this  

Realm of Mad God - 3D Perspective [question]

Hi guys. I'm interested in implementing an camera adjustable isometric view similar to  realm of mad god, but in HTML5 instead of Flash. Basically, in that game, its isometric by default, but you can adjust the camera in the (x,y) plane and see things differently. I was wondering if this is achievable by plain HTML5 canvas. Or whether I need to use WebGL for it. 

game at 45 degrees

realm-of-the-mad-god-003.jpg

game at ~80 degrees

hqdefault.jpg

7 hours ago, kuroro_san said:

I was wondering if this is achievable by plain HTML5 canvas. Or whether I need to use WebGL for it.

The level is 3D the characters are 2D so you will need some 3D renderer. However instead of building your own library for this kind of thing I will recommend using three.js :https://threejs.org/

3D rendering has a lot of little things to concern yourself with, like the 2D sprites are all still going to count as a geom and as such each one will reduce the total amounts of geoms you can have.

What it all means is that unless you run a lot of background optimization running you won't be able to have that many characters onscreen. Three.js has all that done for you and is very easy to use. 

1 hour ago, kuroro_san said:

I might actually use babylonjs as i read its easier to use and not as low-level as three

Both are low level, very basic skeleton that was why I recommended it.

WebGL The basic render. On it's own without any framework it can do wonders. However very time consuming and your own framework will often cause the same slowdowns. 

Bybylon.js has very clean framework with, it's basically it's Three.js with a user friendly aim. One unique aspect you would like about it is that it optimizes automatically. That means that out of the gate Bybylon.js will outperform Three.js; unfortunately it lacks any decent GPU support and is very rigid.

Three.js is much more flexible and with much better GPU support. It can actually render more triangles than Unity, however it is only a renderer and has very little for games. It's what I use when showing my 3D models on the net as it can display highpoly models.

If you are looking for something more high-level:

Blend4Web Very-very powerful web game engine. Has direct support with Blender and is easy to use if you are familiar with Blender. The largest drawback is the license, either you share all your files and can use it all for free or you pay $990 per person to get a commercial license.

Unity High level web game engine. Easy to use, easy to build, AAA power engine a pain to manage. One of my largest problems with it is memory limits on Chrome browsers. It improved but there is still a lot of work to be done here.

Unreal4 most powerful game engine available for "free". This is a multi-million dollar engine, it has everything you could ever want. The problem is the huge amount of time you will spend learning just to use the engine.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By dabontv
      Stick City, a GTA style 2d game made for all devices (HTML5)
      Collect cash as you avoid the police and the traffic. Try to survive for as long as possible. The user with the most collected money goes to the top of the leaderboard.

Play the game on lagged
    • By Kerrick
      TL;DR: noob non-coding teacher somehow thinks they can build a narrative educational game in WordPress; plz halp how do I games?
      I'm mostly a teacher with no coding background--I played with teaching myself Java for a bit but couldn't really code anything from scratch. I'm interested in developing (as a hobbyist) an educational game that would be a sort of choice-based narrative branching storyline, a bit like Fallen London/Storynexus. Because it's so storyline based and I don't need crazy 3d animation, I'm considering just building it as a WordPress site with a couple of gamification plug ins to handle inventory and choice consequences. The unique hook is that the game requires (suggests really) that the player accomplish real world building challenges to accomplish your goals. I.e. Your character has to cross a river? Get some popsicle sticks or cardboard or whatever and build a model bridge. Take a photo of your bridge and upload it to your portfolio to continue (and maybe I don't develop this feature right away).
      I'm in this for three reasons: the educational value for families and teachers, the storyline and world I'm building that I'm super excited about, and the fame and massive wealth (just kidding but it has to have to potential to pay for itself).
      Before I sink too much of my life into this, I want to know more about what I'll need to do to make it work.
      Specifically my questions are:
      1) I get that WordPress isn't optimal for developing games. But can I do it or will I have to learn a new engine because I can't make do what I want? (And if so, what's a better engine with low-to-no coding prereq that will still allow me to sell my game?)
      2) How do I budget for a project like this? (The link to the Reddit post about legal fees was very useful thank you)
      3) What are the additional considerations when creating a game like this intended for children with adult supervision? (Obviously privacy, and I need to cover my assets in case some kid takes "go build a bridge!" too literally and gets hurt with mama's table saw in the garage...)
      4) Is this not the forum for this since what I'm talking about is something more like educational narrative fiction and certainly not the spectacularly complex and amazing projects you all are working on?
      Thank you for any and all thoughts.
    • By ebullion
      Hello,

I am looking for an amateur team to join. I don't have experience with unity but am an advanced full stack .NET developer looking to broaden my horizons. If anyone is willing to take on a newbie in the game development world I'm confident it will benefit both of us in the long run. 
    • By PistachioPro
      Hi all! Long time no post. We've been on extended hiatus from game development for several years, but came out of hiding to develop a fun little browser game. It's called surviv.io, and you can find it (appropriately) at http://surviv.io. It's strongly influenced by way too many hours spent playing PUBG. Spawn in, grab some loot, and be the last person standing. Please check it out and let us know what you think!

• By esenthel
      Just finished making latest WebGL demo for my game engine:
      http://esenthel.com/?id=live_demo
      Let me know what you think,
      as of now only Chrome and Firefox can run it.
      Edge, Safari, Opera have some unresolved bugs at the moment.
  • Popular Now