ToolLine? Maya to HTC VIVE/STEAM?

Started by
6 comments, last by SillyCow 6 years, 7 months ago

I have a HUGE favor to ask of you guys. Does anyone know the basic ToolLine from Maya to publishing on Steam Community? 

I love Google Blocks and Tilt but after using Maya they seem way too simplistic. The problem is I can't get the complete process for releasing content from Maya, or even testing myself. I know there are some expensive plugins and 3rd party development programs. I assume the best process is through Unity? I'm interested in the most cost effective way. 

Any thoughts on different methods would be awesome, or youtube/weblinks.

Thanks!

Advertisement

What do you want to release?

I understand you are an artist creating some 3d models.

But I don't understand what you want to do with them...

Are you trying to create a game?

Are you trying to create a film?

What is it that you want to publish on Steam?

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

What do you want to release? Awesome VR content!

Are you trying to create a game? Yes.

Are you trying to create a film? No. 

What is it that you want to publish on Steam? 

So I figured out that it's fairly easy to get content on Steam through the Steam Workshop. You just import .obj into Hammer. I thought a nice start would be releasing some "Environments" for SteamVR users through this method.  

Next step would be actually getting a game out, I've seen little mini games that are in the Environments, I'm planning on learning more on that But yes a full fledged game is the goal. Since I'm not near to releasing anything I haven't worried to much about the details. If anyone had any thoughts on that final step from UNITY I'd be all ears. Hope this helps someone though. 

An environment is not a game. Models are not a game.  You can create an environment and models all you want, but assuming you get them into a viewer, the models just sit there doing nothing.

Content itself is not published that way.  There are several asset stores where people will buy content, but unless that content happens to be a good match for whatever game someone is making, the content sees no sales.

Dropping them into Unity is easy enough: place your model files inside your Unity project. Drop them into a scene, position them where you want them, and you've got something that views your models.  That still isn't a game, but it can be enough for someone to passively view your environment. It certainly is not enough to get through Steam's processes.

To turn it into a game, you need a design for your game that is actually a game. You need code to create gameplay experiences, you need audio to go with your experiences, and animations to make things move. You need UI elements and other visual effects. You need people to test the game and shake out all the bugs.

To get them in Unity you can drop your Maya files into Unity and it will automatically extract an FBX format and use them; when you change the file it will automatically extract and update. Or, if you want more control, you can export to many format options such as fbx, obj, or collada files, and Unity can use them directly.

Agreed, for making simple content, unity is your best bet.

Keep in mind that there are some caveats to importing files. Materials,Animations,etc...  require fine tuning in unity.

Also, you will need to learn how to add VR support. (Don't worry, it's not too complicated).

Good luck

Thanks SillyCow. That's good to hear! I've taken some classes on Unity but not pertaining to VR. (The VR ones are so expensive!) They have some good 10$ courses on UDEMY though. 

Some VR platforms are very easy to get started with.

What VR platform are you targetting?

My approach was always to download the VR platform's sample scene, and start from there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement