Hello guys, I'm currently making an online multiplayer game, it'll be 1vs1 at first. I've reading about matchmaking and I wonder how some brand new indie games do to have a player's base at beginning so the server is never empty. I have been thinking if is ethical use bots as fake players and that way there'll be always someone to match in? sorry my english is not my native lenguage.

In my personal opinion, as long as the game is clear when I'm playing against a bot instead of another player, it's fine.

Some games even go so far as to let you specifically choose when to play against bots; this is a very popular choice in many games, so I'd suggest that as a possible approach too.

If you're interested in building a player base early, "early access" programs, betas, and so on are all useful for getting players before you officially release.

2 hours ago, Suvitruf said:

We are using bots if there are not enough users.

Players have pvp rating. So, we are trying to find players with similar rating. If we don't find, we fill the rest with bots. I think, it's a normal practice.

Nice that is what I want to do , tell me, you are telling to your players they will be match with a bot or your players think they are against real persons?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Big Impact Sound Composer for Media
      Big Impact Sound | Composer for Media

provides royalty free music and sound design for media, games, television, film, trailers, commercials, documentaries, YouTube creators, exhibits, websites, slide shows, corporate projects, podcasts, wedding albums, presentations, audiobooks, radio, apps and so much more.
      Royalty free music
      Big Impact Sound allows you to distribute the royalty free music worldwide  and without any additional fees.
      Our music licensing system is transparent and easy:  once the music license is paid there are no copyright issues.

Wide range of musical styles
      Our award winning team has more than two decades of experience in the creation and production of contemporary and classical music.

Composition on demand
      Custom-made composition and sound design that will maximize the impact of your game, movie, commercial, trailer, documentary or presentation.

Music productions ranging from single tracks to full orchestral scores
      We can provide single tracks or full scores and our team helps you with your project
      from start to finish according to your specific wishes.

Stock Music (Library Music)
      Fast and easy music and sound design browsing in our huge music library. All our tracks are immediately available for any of your projects.

Fast turnaround time
      We are used to work with tight deadlines and will help you meet them. We are passionate about our work and always aim for perfection.

Contact us (by PM or by the website) to discuss how we can enhance your project with a distinctive sound identity.
      https://bigimpactsound.com/

• By AxeGuywithanAxe
      Hey all, with the announcement of House Marque ditching their current game engine to use Unreal Engine , http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/12/05/housemarques-next-game-will-use-unreal-engine-4/, I wanted to ask how everyone feels of the current state of commercial and custom game engines in the AAA and Indie Space. It seems like more and more studios are starting to switch to commercial engines, either Unity or UE4. Square Enix is creating Kingdom Hearts , Dragon Quest, and FF Remake in Unreal Engine, Rare is using UE4 for Sea of Thieves, Bend is using Unreal Engine for Days Gone, Insomniac Games used Unity for their smaller titles, and the list continues.
      As a graduate student that is about to graduate, I just wanted to see if the concept of fully creating a game from scratch is becoming a dying breed for engine developers, and I should focus more on creating my projects using these more popular engines, especially from a portfolio perspective. Thank you.
    • By Joseph Perez
      Hi! Ever since I was a kid I was always fascinated by games, I believe we all were and still are. There was a certain mystique while playing a game, something that helped us all in someway. I'll never forget playing the original super Mario bros and then going to super Mario 64 and wanting to collect all the stars just to see Yoshi! This is something I want to replicate, I want to make a game that people will enjoy. I know absolutely nothing about game design and I don't want to come off as ignorant when I say I want to make a large open world game. I understand it may be an insane amount of work, possibly unrealistic/impossible for a small team. But that's what I want to know, if anyone could be real with me and tell me the realistic amount of time, people, and money I would need to make a large open world game. I understand that it being my first game is unrealistic but that's my end goal and I just want to know the specifics of it. I greatly appreciate anyone who gives any tips or information. I'm grateful that such a community exists. 
    • By thatguyiam
      For one man indies and small teams, in unity in particular - but general answers are very welcome - what are the most worthwhile development methodologies and architectural patterns worth investing your effort into. I would like to write decent, maintainable and scalable code, but I also want to work fast. In the past I've been bogged down in process, and at the moment for my current project I'm taking inspriation from Johnathon Blow and just not overthinking or optimizing in any sense before its needed. I am certainly getting quicker output but at the same time I realize that as my projects scale I will get be more likely to get bogged down, especially with no testing or other techniques to catch regressions. So avoiding rigid bindings and singletons might be advisable. I've considered dependency injection frameworks / inversion of control containers such as zenject. The code seems ugly to me and I cant see it being a fast process. I've heard mention of essentially using the unity interface for dependency injection, but I'm not sure I comprehend.
      What process would you recommend? tdd? di? testing after the fact?
      what are good ways to write clean, modular, scalable code quickly with strategies to catch regressions.
      Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
    • By pheonix2468
      Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last visited the forums.
      But thought I'd post a quick 'just for fun' question.
      When developing your games, when is it you get to see the first visual signs of life?
      I'm currently working on an engine, started a few days ago and I'm around 10'000 lines of code in and still have a blank window
      In the past I'd have usually opted to rush to get the first triangle rendering, but I'm taking a different approach this time, working towards making it as flexible as possible as I fancied
      supporting multiple graphics libraries. That beautiful first rendered object is so close, but there's always 'just one more thing' that needs implementing before I can hit F5 and reap the rewards.
  • Popular Now